drain plug crush washer

My 2006 LE came with a flat aluminum washer OEM.
I have never changed it in 4 years.
I have the same type washer on my 10 year old land Rover and it is still the first one.
I would look for one of those that fits if it were me.

My '06 came with the flat washer and I never had a problem until it just started leaking one day. I torqued it and it still dripped so I started using the crush washers and haven't had a problem since. They're cheap so when I stock up on filters I get washers and drop one in each filter box. Maybe not necessary but I got tired of seeing oil on the floor. +1 on Mike's suggestion on torque wrenches..they are good things to have and each bolt has a recommended torque value for a reason....unless you like investing in helicoil's.

I have been using the factory oil/filter kit that included the crush washer, however, on the next oil change, not using that kit so I will reuse it again. I have a Harley FXR with a S&S motor that I have been reusing the same washer for a many, many years, but I put a coat of gasket sealer on the washer & haven't had any issues with leakage. Critical areas, I usually use the torque wrench, however, have heard of guys stripping oil pan threads so I don't use it in that area, but use a regular 3/8" rachet with socket, hold the head of the rachet (not the back end) and do a slight turn, thats it. Good luck.

+1 on the small torque wrench,more accurate on low settings .Never changed the washer due to advise by the top suzuki tech here in London, just torque to spec and never had a problem

Back