drain plug crush washer

hemi

Registered
just changed my oil again at 4500 miles. Bought a few crush washers at my dealer, and what do you know, they are completely the wrong washer, they are f'n useless. Just left the crush washer on there and didn't worry about it. Was just lookin under the bike and noticed the drain plug a little wet with oil. Hasn't dripped anything yet, but i don't want to crank the bolt anymore in fear of stripping it. Could be just left over oil after my change, which was a few hundred miles ago. Do u guys change the washer every time u change the oil. Never changed it on my gsxr 750 and didn't have any problems. If i should change it, anyone got a link?

I change my washer about 5 times or so. I torque the plug down to spec though, so it is normally not a problem.

Unless you are totally into supporting your dealer, there is no need to change that every time. 3 years worth on an 06 and a year on my 09 and have yet to change the crush washer with no problems at all. Just my :2cents:

I do have a torque wrench, but no way i'm using it on the drain plug. I mainly only use it on lug nuts on my truck. I'm scared to use a torque wrench sometimes on something that requires very little torque, i would rather use a normal ratchet and tighten it by "feel". Changed the diff fluid in my truck once and was using a torque wrench set to the factory specs to crank em back down, one of the bolts had a washer on it and the torque wrench wouldn't "click", a few more slight turns and the bolt snapped clean in half

No need to change the crush washer every time. Done hundreds of oil changes no problems.

I have been running without a new one for about about the last 4 oil changes, I know I know :poke:

Personally I wouldn't stress it but keep an eye on that bolt!

I do have a torque wrench, but no way i'm using it on the drain plug. I mainly only use it on lug nuts on my truck. I'm scared to use a torque wrench sometimes on something that requires very little torque, i would rather use a normal ratchet and tighten it by "feel". Changed the diff fluid in my truck once and was using a torque wrench set to the factory specs to crank em back down, one of the bolts had a washer on it and the torque wrench wouldn't "click", a few more slight turns and the bolt snapped clean in half

Strange, I have a Craftsman torque wrench that I use all the time when doing things like this and never had a problem. I do not trust my sense of feeling when it comes to soft metals like the oil pan. I set it to 17 lbs and when it clicks, I back off and do it one more time to be sure. This has worked flawlessly for years now. *knock on wood*

i do have a torque wrench, but no way i'm using it on the drain plug. I mainly only use it on lug nuts on my truck. I'm scared to use a torque wrench sometimes on something that requires very little torque, i would rather use a normal ratchet and tighten it by "feel". Changed the diff fluid in my truck once and was using a torque wrench set to the factory specs to crank em back down, one of the bolts had a washer on it and the torque wrench wouldn't "click", a few more slight turns and the bolt snapped clean in half

+1 yea man!

Use a torque wrench cuz no way is your 'feel' accurate.
If you are that worried about it get a 1/4 torque wrench and use an adapter to upsize it to 3/8. They sell them at Sears is where I got mine.
This way you can use a smaller torque wrench and get more feel out of it without fear of a big heavy one stripping it.

I would invest in a smaller torque wrench.
They make them in Inch Pound size.
That plug should be torqued every time.
Do a search and see how many have been striped. JMO

ok, maybe i will actually pick up a small torque wrench this weekend. The one i have is ginormous and i think the lowest setting is 25 ft-lbs anyway, all the way up to 250. Have been wanting a smaller torque wrench for a while anyways

ok, maybe i will actually pick up a small torque wrench this weekend. The one i have is ginormous and i think the lowest setting is 25 ft-lbs anyway, all the way up to 250. Have been wanting a smaller torque wrench for a while anyways

You'll find lots of places to use it on the busa.
Good move! :thumbsup:

i've done oil changes on my truck for 7 years still the original crush washer and i've done 4 oil changes on my 08 with the factory one too. No issues on either vehicle

The DRZ400sm crowd at thumper talk where anal about changing it EVERY time as the bevel it develops might crack your case. They recomended atleast flipping it over only once.

I had an f150,sorry,that had a plastic washer one time.

Last edited:
My 2006 LE came with a flat aluminum washer OEM.
I have never changed it in 4 years.
I have the same type washer on my 10 year old land Rover and it is still the first one.
I would look for one of those that fits if it were me.

Back