Dragged a Fairing! :(

ThaDoubleJ

Registered
Was just climbing around on the ground looking for a bolt when I noticed a rash on the right fairing just at the bottom rear of the clutch cover, bike hasn't been down, rash wasn't there last time I had the fairing off, and it's a front to back scrape. Only thing I can think is that I dragged it around a right-hander. Anyone heard of this? My Duc drags pegs WAY before anything else get's close, and I've never had a knee down, and don't recall any leaned over slides since I've owned the Bus. Maybe I'm too heavy for my stock spring (240 nekkid) or my rear ride hight is too low? Maybe the Bus isn't made for cornering like that? Big dammit.

Yes, we've seen it before. The Busa comes from the factory tuned for a 165# rider. It needs to be tuned for your weight, witch will require hevier fork springs. If you are going to ride agressively, you may want consider raising the rear 1" as well.

Take a look at the Hayabusa.org @ the Track posts if you think the Busa's don't handle. Dragging knees without dragging fairings.

Yup - it can be done! I scraped the same spot last year at a track day!
super.gif

Put a 1" lift on the rear and that will solve that problem.

--Wag--

The +1 links in the back work to stop this!  The correct way would be to change out your front fork springs,  this will remedy the problem.  It probably happened in a bumpy section.  The stock front suspension won't be able to rebound fast enough to soak up the bumps,  especially for a bigger man like yourself,  no offense.
poke.gif

(ThaDoubleJ @ Oct. 01 2007,20:15) Hmm, maybe I should slow down a bit on the street then.  How did you remedy the scraping of the spot?
I left the spot - that's a good, battle scar!
biggrin.gif

What it did tell me is that I needed to work on my technique. I've worked on getting more of my body hanging off the bike and putting less lean on the bike.

Haven't scraped hard parts since and *have* gotten better in the corners.

Change the springs to match your body weight and while your at it you might as well re-valve the front forks then tune the suspension settings for your riding style.

Like everybody else is saying, get your suspension set-up to handle your weight.

The Busa's stock suspenion is not meant for aggressive twisties for a 165lbs rider. I had to go from .85 springs to .95 springs to get the proper sag for agressive twisties and I weigh 165lbs.
Now think that your at 240lbs. The busa isn't set-up for even moderate twisties for you. Your forks are compressing too far reducing your ground clearance.

Lamb Busa...OUCH! Nope, mine doesn't look that bad, about the size of a nickle, but identical location. Would that be a red n black 05? So being that I'm out of money due to purchasing two bikes this summer, what would be my best quick fix for the rest of the season, stiffen up the front a bit, raise the back, and slow the hell down? Thanks all.

(ThaDoubleJ @ Oct. 02 2007,05:42) So being that I'm out of money due to purchasing two bikes this summer, what would be my best quick fix for the rest of the season, stiffen up the front a bit, raise the back, and slow the hell down?  Thanks all.
Cranking down the fork's preload will help, you could go to 1 or 0 lines showing.

Here's a good thread for suspension info and setting up the suspension for your weight.

(ThaDoubleJ @ Oct. 01 2007,18:27) 1 inch free or 1 inch sag with me on it?
They're actually referring to 1" raising links for the rear. They are shorter dogbones that replace the stock ones resulting in the rear of the bike be raised 1" higher from the swingarm.

did the exact same thing at the dragon with mine. got a piece of the pipe too. I went to far over was my problem. im lucky i didnt loose it in the turn

Get it set up properly before you crash
argue.gif

1.0 kg springs for the front forks + new valve kits (Race Tech, Ohlins, or GP Suspensions) will do. Raise the rear 1" with new links.

Once you get the work done have the suspension adjusted properly...then you're GTG
thumb_up.gif

Back