Donations - a discussion about accountability

beerchug.gif
bowdown.gif

Oh and PS has everyone seen the tell the Cap what you want for your sweat or hoody? shouldn't that be pined or is it? where
rock.gif

I agree with you M.C.

I think it was back in November of 05 when I first donated and did ask, "where's my balls?" But that was only because I was trying to fit in and was proud of the fact that I donated. I have never asked for anything from the org or tried to use a donation as leverage. I continue to doante because I do not want to see this place fall to the way side. I hope I have not added to the problem but instead I hope I have left this a better place, even if in a very, very small way.

(MC MUSTANG @ Feb. 01 2007,15:25) If I find out that a person is unworthy of my support, then I will be withdrawn, but what is gone, is already gone.
That's how I look at it. I've made donations to many people over the years, from family to stranger, and been raked over the coals for it for various reasons. Those who are unworthy of support usually make that clear only after they have received support in some way or another.

I do disagree with one thing you said. A donation is NOT a gift to be used with blatant indiscretion. I suppose you can look at it that way but the reality is, it's given because a specific need arises and requires the band-aid of money to fix. If the contribution is then used in another way, it's a veritable insult to the giver.

I run a non-profit organization which has influence world wide. We receive donations all the time. If a person donates to the general fund, we can use it any way we wish within our overall mission. On the other hand, if someone makes a donation for a specific project which we have undertaken we are required to use it for that purpose and that purpsose alone. It is actually against the law to divert funds to a purpose other than that which was specified by the donor. We can easily lose our exempt status if we're caught doing so.

This board is the same way. If I make a contribution for the sustenance of the board, it is to be used for that purpose and that purpose alone. If admins decide to use my contribution to buy a bunch of cheeseburgers for Yamahor, then that's a violation of the trust I gave to the board along with my contribution.

Eh. Just some thoughts. I try to give when I can and when I can't, I don't. Nonetheless, I use as much discretion as I can when I'm helping people out. I firmly believe, and have had experience to bear this out, that sometimes money is the worst kind of help you can give as it can actually do more harm than good. It's important to use as much good judgment as possible when giving money gifts. Perhaps an example should be forthcoming in another post.

Lastly, and again an example may need to be forthcoming, the gifts we give are best given in anonymity as much as possible. I don't always adhere to this rule, depending on the circumstance but people are strange creatures; some will appreciate the generosity and others will resent it. There have been times when I've stated what I gave and been raked over the coals for it, other times when I've been given kudos. Neither makes me feel comfortable so I just don't squawk about it as a rule.

I also don't necessarily expect a recipient to give thanks to me in public. It's not why I gave a gift in the first place. It's just a "pay it forward" gift which brings good karma (or whatever it's really called).

I'm rambling now but rest assured, I have very definite beliefs about gifts, much of which I feel uncomfortable posting here. Perhaps I'll post up an illustrative story or two from my past.

--Wag--

(Wag @ Feb. 03 2007,10:21)
(MC MUSTANG @ Feb. 01 2007,15:25) If I find out that a person is unworthy of my support, then I will be withdrawn, but what is gone, is already gone.
That's how I look at it.  I've made donations to many people over the years, from family to stranger, and been raked over the coals for it for various reasons.  Those who are unworthy of support usually make that clear only after they have received support in some way or another.  

I do disagree with one thing you said.  A donation is NOT a gift to be used with blatant indiscretion.  I suppose you can look at it that way but the reality is, it's given because a specific need arises and requires the band-aid of money to fix.  If the contribution is then used in another way, it's a veritable insult to the giver.  

I run a non-profit organization which has influence world wide.  We receive donations all the time.  If a person donates to the general fund, we can use it any way we wish within our overall mission.  On the other hand, if someone makes a donation for a specific project which we have undertaken we are required to use it for that purpose and that purpsose alone.  It is actually against the law to divert funds to a purpose other than that which was specified by the donor.  We can easily lose our exempt status if we're caught doing so.

This board is the same way.  If I make a contribution for the sustenance of the board, it is to be used for that purpose and that purpose alone.  If admins decide to use my contribution to buy a bunch of cheeseburgers for Yamahor, then that's a violation of the trust I gave to the board along with my contribution.

Eh.  Just some thoughts.  I try to give when I can and when I can't, I don't.  Nonetheless, I use as much discretion as I can when I'm helping people out.  I firmly believe, and have had experience to bear this out, that sometimes money is the worst kind of help you can give as it can actually do more harm than good.  It's important to use as much good judgment as possible when giving money gifts.  Perhaps an example should be forthcoming in another post.

Lastly, and again an example may need to be forthcoming, the gifts we give are best given in anonymity as much as possible.  I don't always adhere to this rule, depending on the circumstance but people are strange creatures; some will appreciate the generosity and others will resent it.  There have been times when I've stated what I gave and been raked over the coals for it, other times when I've been given kudos.  Neither makes me feel comfortable so I just don't squawk about it as a rule.

I also don't necessarily expect a recipient to give thanks to me in public.  It's not why I gave a gift in the first place.  It's just a "pay it forward" gift which brings good karma (or whatever it's really called).  

I'm rambling now but rest assured, I have very definite beliefs about gifts, much of which I feel uncomfortable posting here.  Perhaps I'll post up an illustrative story or two from my past.

--Wag--
Wag - you bring up a great point with regards to responsibility - on the part of the people who the board chooses to help/donate too.

When someone decides to offer some sort of support, just as you said, they are supporting a specific cause or situation. I agree wholeheartedly. So the recipient does have some responsibility (even if it is social among boardmembers) to use the funds for the inteded easement of the the situation.... please don't missunderstand what I am saying.

As an example, when my bike fell over in the trailer - a few people offered to send me mirrors - If I asked everyone to send them and then sold off the one's that I didn't need, well, simply put that would be pretty crappy, especially since in a way I am stealing; even if the theft is conceptual because that support no longer exists for other board members.

What I was trying to put forth is that we cannot claim ownership or hold that we give over someone's head - it is not ammunition to be thrown out or empowerment for making accusations.

I think that we have a responsibility to be honest with each other and we assume that we are... which is why it stings so bad when something goes south with a board member -
recent examples are when Chris left, the issues with Jeremy's fairings and Creek, the busa being parted out, etc.

I guess the point that I am trying to make is that we are only as a good as a group as our WEAKEST morality. We are not a tax exempt, not for profit organization who is monitored and controlled - except by ourselves - and make no mistake - I have no problem with people who want to check out the legitimacy of someones need - but the way to do that is not under fire in the open forums; it is in private conversation.

I have been accused of being too trusting and soft - and if those are the worst things that I am called - well, I think I am doing pretty well! I assume that when I deal with someone on the board, that I am dealing with someone on the up and up.

I hope that people assume the same with me; all I can do is stive to be a person worthy of any trust and respect that I may engender.

The bottom line for this whole thread is me asking other to remind themselves that when we help someone, we are not buying stock in them... we are not making them sign an agreement in blood - or binding them in anyway - we are simply extending a helping hand when, where and if we can.

MCM

I love donating, kinda gives me a little personal satisfaction...... i always thought they were anonymous.
MC your a good dude, i dont care what HEAVY says about you when your not on here....... lol........
poke.gif

Thanks for the additional comments, MC. Very much appreciated.

I don't think there is a true "right" or "wrong" in how we give our gifts. Pointedly stated, it's up to the person giving to do so as they see fit and if the recipient chooses to take unfair advantage of that, they will, in my opinion, reap the crop, so to speak.

I'm not a believer in mysticism or a larger power out there other than to say that I believe that in an as-yet undetermined way, we are all connected, either by our visible actions or by some other means. Over time, things balance out and when we take it upon ourselves to treat others well it has it's consequences whether we have the ability to connect the dots or not.

Any chance we have to make the world a better place, we should do so.

If a butterfly flaps its wings in Central Park, a child is born who will discover the cure for cancer. It's just the way of things.

--Wag--

I've said it in PM's but I'll say it openly also. I donated because I felt a need to support a site that supported it's members. I can't sit back with a clear concious and watch all the good that comes from the Org. This site supports our troops, our country, and our passion to ride and be free. It provides a wealth of "free" information that otherwise would be missed by the newer owners. This site feels like a new family to me. It has been my honor to be a part of a group of outstanding individuals.
beerchug.gif

I have given to people on this board that have personally thanked me with a PM. And that to me is the LEAST someone can do in the need of help,wether it be cash or a part for their bike!

Me,I could never,and would never accept any kind of cash donation of any sort... regardless of the situation. 1st,my pride is waayyy to high for that,and 2nd,I would feel obligated in some way.
If for any reason i fell so far behind that it was inevitable to accept such donation,it would be an absolute neccasity(sp?) to personally thank each and every member.
And then for some reason,if I got back on my feet,the last thing I would do is to be posting how I just bought a new Vette or some dumb thing like that,because this is how we get to topics like this in the first place.
but this is just me,so dont eva take my word for it!!!!

I would love to donate to the site, but things are alittle tight right now, things are real slow in the auto service industry, the wife is ready to deliver a baby,you know how it goes.

(chrisr @ Feb. 03 2007,14:14) I would love to donate to the site, but things are alittle tight right now, things are real slow in the auto service industry, the wife is ready to deliver a baby,you know how it goes.
That's not a problem. Ya just do what you can and believe me, that's enough.

--Wag--

Back