Do I Need New Tires?

I buy online....saves quite a bit. and made my own bead break, and bought a cheap wheel balancer from harbor freight. change my own tires from here on out, and all for the cost of 1 set of mount and balance from anywhere else. plus i dont have to take them anywhere, dont have to wait or deal with their hours, and can spin the tires on the rim to get as little weights as possible vs them just popping the tires on and adding 5lbs of weights out of laziness.....by the way, any local guys wanting tires mounted and balanced? would love to help. only charge a donation for cost of wheel weights, and a mountain dew:)

This brings up another question.

What do you do with your old tires if you change them yourself.

One other thing, a 190/50 vs 190/55 is that just a 5mm height difference? The cost difference seems to be a little high for 5mm.

I have been using them in the kids play area, mocking up a "play" busa out of 1 1/2" pipe now for them, using my last set. and then will bury half way into the mulch for a "barrier" along the fence line in the kids area. something else for them to play/crawl through......lol, and I get to add to it every season!!!

What do you do with your old tires if you change them yourself.

One other thing, a 190/50 vs 190/55 is that just a 5mm height difference? The cost difference seems to be a little high for 5mm.

I toss mine in the trash. The garbage man won't take car tires, but I've not had a problem with bike tires.

The "50" and "55" on the tire size is not millimeters. It's the aspect ratio (percent). The first number is the width in mm. The height (not diameter) of a 190/50 is 50% of 190, or 95mm. The height of a 190/55 is 55% of 190, or 104.5 mm. The two sizes are the same width, but the diameter of the two are different. The overall diameter of the 190/55 is greater by 19mm ((104.5-95)*2)

Just for fun, I checked my math against the Michelin Fitment Guide...

Overall diameter:
190/50 - 622mm
190/55 - 642mm

Dang. I was off by 1mm.

OK I did some calling today and think I have it narrowed down to 3 tire sets.

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT
Michelin Power Pure
Dunlap Sportmax Q2

Has any one run the Q2's ???

If you could only pick one set which one would you pick?

Thanks again :bigsmile:

P.S. I have the front wheel off now. Rear to follow. :laugh:

I've run all three of those choices, and I'd buy the Q2's again every time. And I still recommend trying the 190/55. If twisties are your thing, you'll definitely like it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

Just bought BT's from Chaparral, cheapest price for a good set:thumbsup:

Just bought BT's from Chaparral, cheapest price for a good set:thumbsup:

What tire exactly, and was there a reason other than cost?

Anyone else want to put there 2 cents in?

This is the first set of tires for me on this bike and I'm looking for advise before I pull the trigger.
I know (think) that anything should be better than the originals that came with it right?
So in one sense I can't really make a bad choice, however if someone out there knows something and would like to share I'm all ears :laugh:

+1 on the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's i'm on my second set and enjoying them in Upstate NY now that I have actual corners to put the bike in. And being dual compound they also last longer on South Florida's strait roads.

+1 on the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's i'm on my second set and enjoying them in Upstate NY now that I have actual corners to put the bike in. And being dual compound they also last longer on South Florida's strait roads.

I've heard that the Pilot Road 2ct are excellent all around tire. I don't usually ride the Busa in the rain - That's why I was looking at the Pilot Power 2ct's

i went with Q2's and have never looked back! :bowdown::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

:whistle: in fact im looking for a Q2 deal as we speak.

Let me know if you find a set of 120/70 190/55 for less that $274.38 PLEASE :please::confused2:
Your the second person now that has said they like the Q2's.

These two tire sets are within a few $$ so price isn't an issue. Decisions Decisions Decisions ??????:laugh::laugh:

How in the world does someone get 15,000 miles on a set of 46s? I can barely get 5000 miles on a Pilot Road 2 FRONT before the sides are burned to the wear bars. Rears a 1000 or so less.
I agree, I only got 5000 out of my stockers on my 03, and that was very little corners and a good majority of freeway commuting. I do tend to twist the throttle a fair amount though :laugh: The guy before you must have put the same rubber back on after he replaced the originals. Or maybe you meant 1500?
And to the op if you're nowhere near the wear bars I'd run them considering how you ride. I've ridden on older tires than that no problem riding the way you describe.
It looks like you're already tire shopping, I should of read ahead more :laugh:
I like the PR2's, spendy but last a long time and stick very well for how I ride, which sounds similiar to you. I also tried some continentals (road attacks I think) that had a good price and lasted pretty decent and handled very well. I think its hard to go wrong with most tires anymore, they've all upped the game. I'd go with the best price on something that will last you awhile.

Back