Do HID bulbs go bad?

TallTom

Registered
I am a bit perplexed on my low beam HID. Bought the bike with HIDs installed. No issues for months. Then the low beam started to go out after it had been on awhile. Re-start the bike, light would re-fire back on but would last for shorter and shorter periods of time. Having been down this road before on a previous bike I assumed a bad ballast. I switched the ballast to see if it would move to high beam. It did not, but for a time after swapping the ballast around, the low beam would stay on longer. Then it started to repeat the going out pattern. So it crosses my mind that the bulb may be going bad. Never having had an HID go bad I don't know how they fail.

Any help on how to determine if my bulb is healthy or not? Then if bad I need to find a replacement.

Sounds like a bad ballast, if it was the bulb, it would go out right away!

Sounds like a bad ballast, if it was the bulb, it would go out right away!

Yes but I swapped the Hi and Low beam ballast. The high beam stays on forever no problem with either ballast. The low beam goes out with either ballast I have it attached to.

Ok then so the it is the bulb going then!
What i stated is the normal.
Time for a new bulb, some i have installed have a 80000 miles on them, and still going!

just because I had this happen I had a hid bulb go out on mine it will look burnt the ballast is good just the bulb had a leak and went pop after a few 10,000 rpm shifts :) makes my man parts jingle when I go that hard

My Hid bulb the low beam lasted about 5 years. I replaced the bulb then about 8 months later the ballast quit working. I replaced with smaller size ballast probably more modern electronics or cheaper idk. So far HID'S are fine, I'm researching LED lights to see if they can be any better.

I have a set of HID's on my bike that I got from Gixerhp, what was it John, 5 years ago you sent them to me. Still going strong, never flickers, always on. I dont remember the brand but they are good ones.

Back