Diesels and bikes

2hip

Registered
Question for u diesel heads out there. Novice with my 2007 dully Silverado Duramax...I am getting so many conflicted stories. The garage mechanics are telling me just leave the truck alone and you won't have any issues with the engine.
I drive long miles round trip...so I have been thinking maybe I should chip it, exhaust it, filter it...and the like to get mid 20's mpg
What do you guys think...am I messing with a dark curse or can this be done without messing up the engine?

the head mechanics at Dodge and Chevy said the chips just change settings that will cause other problems elsewhere in the engine or tranny. I have a one ton dully and I don't pull anything substantial...might put a Lance type of camper on it..pull some motorcycles or such...but I would love to get more mileage..not into stomping on gas pedals...just wanted a truck that I can go get building materials with...pull something if I need to..stay in for a week when I vacationing...retirement truck sort of...

Help me out on this knowledge...appreciated

Intake, turboback exhaust, banks tuner, and maybe propane injection for a little more oomph. Just be sure the tuner modifies the trans to shift a bit quicker as well. For longetivity of the tranny, you may consoder a moderate to aggressive shift kit as well

Sent from my Devour using Tapatalk

With modifying anything you reduce the life span. I don't know what kinda mileage you get but I can claim 20+ mpg pulling a small trailer with mine. 2004 F250 PowerStroke. Of course the heavier stuff drops it down but hey I didn't buy it for the mileage I bought it for the pulling power.

I had chipped my second diesel, 2001 F350, tuned it up some and only got a little over 300k miles before it started costing me. Kinda disappointing in that one. My first diesel, 89' Ford F250, I left stock and got well over 500k out of it before bad things started happening. Of course the second one I was regularly pulling 20,000 - 30,000 lbs. I don't think doing things like mild chipping or other external things will hurt the motor itself. Its the major things that will kill it.

This is all just my opinion your results could be different depending on what all you do.

That shouldn't help your fuel economy

One of word of caution since your Duramax and Allison may still be under the 100K mile power train warranty or have some kind of extended warranty.

GM dealers are using a new type tech 2 for diagnostics and it detects if the truck if has ever had a chip type or flash on the ECU restoring the chip or the ECU will not help you get warranty work done on the truck. the device detects that pt was operated outside of factory specs.

If you need more details I will ask my buddy who is the service manager at Chevy but he had to break the bad news to his nephew who had souped up his Duramax and then had a problem with it. He is no longer even able to work around that for him cause the results are going to GM directly.

Id leave it stock. Seems to me that a filter, exhaust ect.... would use more fuel/air causing worse mileage. As Busa1166 said, it may hurt you warrenty wise aswell. If ya dont need more power, let her be:thumbsup:

Id leave it stock. Seems to me that a filter, exhaust ect.... would use more fuel/air causing worse mileage. As Busa1166 said, it may hurt you warrenty wise aswell. If ya dont need more power, let her be:thumbsup:

Most of the time it will help your mileage but it's harder to stay off of the gas because of the new found power that is there. I would check with your local dealer to find out what you can do without voiding your warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuel additives did help my company with mileage on trucks but the additives were so expensive that the cost did not justify the gain an hassle of doing it. maybe things have changed

I disagree, You can make things better if you do it right.. The tranny for example stock trannys are designed to slip in to the next gear and feel smooth right! That is what messes them up that slip wares them out ask any tranny builder or mechanic, a shift kit is like a evo star on a busa, It puts it there and its firm not forcefull. I guess I just promoted evo star

Last edited:
Leave it alone...........Use it as it was designed to be used and it will last 250,000 miles without a problem, well, some minor things are expected. Install a by-pass oil filter to soak up the ash and carbon in the oil. I'll send you a link for the filter, it needs to be changed every other oil change. Also, use a good synthetic oil rated for diesels. I use Schaeffers 9000 5-40 or 15-30 grade.

Most of the time it will help your mileage but it's harder to stay off of the gas because of the new found power that is there. I would check with your local dealer to find out what you can do without voiding your warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ole "right foot factor" always gets me:whistle:

You will spend more in mods than you will save in fuel savings. Just be happy you have a bad ass truck. Besides, we don't buy them unless we can afford the fuel, right? ;)

<--------2008 F-250 Crew Cab XLT Lariat 4X4 6.4L Power Stroke

truckonbeach.jpg

Wow this topic bring back some memories. Bought a 2007.5 dodge ram dually 3500 with the cummins because I had heard how legendary the motors are. Long story short...did the bullydog tuner, nitrous, then moved to a smarty (computer programming, not a chip) and after 3 transmission, 2 TQ converts and 2 blown headgaskets I finally have one bad as* truck that is actually reliable. A duramax can and will crank out some major power. As much as I love my cummins I must admit the duramax's are actually the top dogs in the quarter miles department because they rev fast and as high as 5,500-6,000 rpm. The trick with a diesel is to make sure you build a fully billet tranny first no matter what someone tells you. It sucks to spend 3-4K on a tranny that gives you no more power. But if you don't you'll start snapping imput shafts which will then take out your TQ converter. Do it right the first time and build your tranny. Next get some of those ARP 625+ custom age steel head studs. There were about $1200 for my cummins but they torque down to 155 ft. lbs of torque and once you put those on you'll never have a blown head gasket again. You'll break a rod or pop a whole through the block before you blow the headgasket with those studs. Now that I finally have my setup right I have exactly 720 rwhp and a little over 1200 ft lbs of torque at the tires. I did however have to get the compound (ATS 2000 over the 5000) turbo's. Compound turbo's are very cool setup. Totally different from a twin turbo. Think of it as a big turbo force feeding the smaller turbo. Sorry to go into so much detail but I've been through all the headaches and the one piece of advice I wish I would have listened to is to build the tranny first. But let me tell you 700+ rwhp on a diesel is F'n sooooo cool. I absolutely love it! My turbo busa is down right scary but a big diesel truck with tons of TQ is by far the funnest daily driver you could imagine. And I still get 20 mpg on the highway. Compression is still fine, does not burn oil and have over 100,000 hard miles on it. Keep the EGT's under 1300 degrees and your motor will live a long time. Most of the engine failures you hear about is from it all melting down from too high EGT's. If you have the compound turbo's you really don't need water injection. I absolutely love it!

^^^what trefling said

Mines a 06 cummins with a built trans, bully dog PMT, powerpuck, ats pulse flow second gen manifold, gutted cat into a 5" homemade muffler, homemade intake, and a boost fooler. Still on stock charger and pumps did 506hp/1022ftlbs. Completely streetable, still tows amazing and i'm just getting started. My buddy has a 04 cummins with twins and a whole lot more work made 769hp/1591ftlbs this past saturday and he drops his kids off at school every morning on his way to work in it.

Do what you want with it, the big will hit you and it'll turn into an obsession and constant need to make more power. After my 02 cummins was stolen i told myself i was gonna drive something cheap and stock for awhile, couldnt do the gasser thing. Went and bought the 06 and said i'd do a few bolt ons and be happy and now i cant freakin stop constantly planning for the next go fast parts i can afford!!!!

Back