detroit to daytona in a day?

erikgsxr6

Registered
I am going to ride to daytona on the 21st, I think I can do it in a day all my friends say no.. is it really that bad? I have done it in a car a few times.
I have a 2009 with the buell peg mod new image seat and a throttle lock
so am I crazy????

9_12_10.jpg

:rofl:It can be done, but I wouldn't try it. How far have you ridden in a day, non stop except for gas or food? Better wait til some of the Saddlesore guys chime in.

I wouldn't....its just too much. Take a little extra time and stay the night somewhere, even in two days thats a long ride.

You're talking about just over 1,100 miles. At an average speed of 55 mph (and that's being pretty generous considering gas stops, towns, road construction) that's 20 hours.

You might be able to do it but it won't be a fun trip

yeah last sunday I rode around 275 miles and realized Its probably not going to be to fun, to ride 1100 miles in I figure around 18 hours. I have drove it in 18 a couple times but atleast I will have 3 days to make it back to detroit and I plan on taking the scenic route back and spending the night in dc at my cousins

You may make it but day after you'll be no good.
Do it in two days you'll be ok. Any reason you have to do it in one ?

I've done 900 miles in one day from NC to WI... took me almost 18 hours total with stops and everything. It wasn't so much fun towards the 16th hour anymore I really had to push myself to make it the rest of the way. On the way home I ended up doing it over 2 days.

1,000+ miles in a day is a hard ride. I believe a man can do just about anything he sets his mind to, but it's a hard, hard day and you're gonna be sitting in traffic more than a few times on that trip.

You will be destroyed at the end of it. I'd recommend finding someplace midway to sleep for 4-5 hours and then taking off again. If you haul it straight through, you're gonna lose a day anyway when you finally do get out of the saddle and give in to the exhaustion.

That's what I'd do, anyway. I do 730 miles one way each summer to hang out with friends, and I'd hate to be staring another 400 miles in the face at what is normally the end of that trip (right around 13 hours usually).

Good luck either way! Be safe and have fun.

no I dont have to do it in 1 day, just one of those hair brain ideas I get once in a while .. :whistle: I appreciate all the input from people that have experience.
I am going to try it and if I get tired I will take a nap theres no reason to crash because I want to prove I can do it

I have done 1,244 miles in one day, 21.25 hrs. i took trail mix and drank water and sport drinks at gas stops, no meals. first 12 hrs were the hardest. get a large tank bag to lean on, it will help with changing positions.
Good luck :beerchug:

If you have only done 400 in one day...I would not try for more than 600-700 then get a room and finish the ride the next day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not recommended. A point A to point B ride like that is challenging to say the least. The biggest challenge being staying alert/sharp for the entire ride. A ride that's 3 or 4 times your longest regular ride is not going to have you at your best. Especially if the weather is anything other than comfortable.

Consider more "sane" options for the trip time.

Best of luck!

OK guys I am leaving here within the hour I will let you guys know how it goes..
I am going to document it and all that for the IBA I mise well get the certificate since im doing it anyway:thumbsup:

Back