Descendant Of The Hayabusa

Excursion05

Registered
Saw this article from GearHeads.org in my Facebook feed.

http://gearheads.org/suzuki-boss-hints-at-retro-bikes-turbochargers-and-an-all-new-hayabusa/

The article tries to read between the lines and predict Suzuki's future based on quotes from Suzuki President Toshihiro Suzuki. There is talk of superchargers, turbo chargers and even the future (or lack thereof) of the Hayabusa.

It boils down to these two sentences:

"...it seems like the Hayabusa may be on the way out. According to Toshihiro, the Hayabusa “will have a descendant that will not go too far from the family.” The Suzuki boss also mentioned that their engineers are already working on the Hayabusa’s successor, so it seems we’re going to be seeing it in the not so distant future."

Saw this article from GearHeads.org in my Facebook feed.

http://gearheads.org/suzuki-boss-hints-at-retro-bikes-turbochargers-and-an-all-new-hayabusa/

The article tries to read between the lines and predict Suzuki's future based on quotes from Suzuki President Toshihiro Suzuki. There is talk of superchargers, turbo chargers and even the future (or lack thereof) of the Hayabusa.

It boils down to these two sentences:

"...it seems like the Hayabusa may be on the way out. According to Toshihiro, the Hayabusa “will have a descendant that will not go too far from the family.” The Suzuki boss also mentioned that their engineers are already working on the Hayabusa’s successor, so it seems we’re going to be seeing it in the not so distant future."
Probably the biggest mystery since " Area 51"

It pretty much says the hayabusa is finished. It will have a "decedent". So much for a gen 3?

It pretty much says the hayabusa is finished. It will have a "decedent". So much for a gen 3?

I agree that it sure sounds like that from the article. Would be kinda stupid imho. It would be like Chevy dropping the Corvette to replace it with a decendent.
Troy

Quite the contrary I believe descendant meaning 1st generation ..2nd gen ...3rd gen is what Mr Suzuki is saying....this so called gearheads have have taken an interveiw from another mag and made their own interpretation

we thought the same thing about the kanatuna :)

The years were not kind to the poor old Katana... it started life with so much promise in 1981 but that promise was not realized in the following generations. To be fair though, the bloated goggle-eyed mess that was sold as a Katana in North America in recent years was just a GSX-F everywhere else, so was it actually a Katana at all? I think not.

The saving grace for the Hayabusa is that Suzuki knows that it's a legend, and that it's an icon for their brand, so I can't see them letting it rot on the vine like the fat Kat did.

The years were not kind to the poor old Katana... it started life with so much promise in 1981 but that promise was not realized in the following generations. To be fair though, the bloated goggle-eyed mess that was sold as a Katana in North America in recent years was just a GSX-F everywhere else, so was it actually a Katana at all? I think not.

The saving grace for the Hayabusa is that Suzuki knows that it's a legend, and that it's an icon for their brand, so I can't see them letting it rot on the vine like the fat Kat did.
9 years with out any major upgrades. Is kinda that isn't it????

9 years with out any major upgrades. Is kinda that isn't it????

I suppose you could look at it that way but it's still near the top of the heap performance-wise for street bikes, and not really that far off the category-leading ZX-14R (which has had both a minor and a major update since the Gen2 Hayabusa arrived on scene in 2008). I like to think that the 'Busa hasn't received any real development because it hasn't really needed it, now whether that's because it's just so damn good as-is (as-was?) or just because no manufacturer is putting money into the shrinking hyper-sport segment remains to be seen.

Suzuki was hurting financially for a lot of years recently, so putting development dollars into the 'Busa which continued to sell in decent numbers without any real changes made good business sense. It continues to be the flagship for the brand so I can guarantee that the model isn't going anywhere anytime soon. If the Gen3 bike is another mild styling evolution with a bit more power and a full electronics suite on board, I think that they will have hit the nail on the head and have a winner on their hands. YMMV. :cool:

“It will be stylistically detailed with the familiar lines of the Hayabusa and it will have a lot of electronic assistance for riding fast.” For all the Hayabusa fans out there, that’s all you really need, right?

It is for me. I would hate if Suzuki moved away from the current look of the Hayabusa... it just wouldn't be a Hayabusa anymore if it was all angles and wings like the Kawi H2. Of course the forced-induction like the green machine has would be welcome! :thumbsup:

Just got this for my garage , 1981 GSX1100E Katana wire wheel special (NZ model)

20160813_090433.jpg

I have an
I suppose you could look at it that way but it's still near the top of the heap performance-wise for street bikes, and not really that far off the category-leading ZX-14R (which has had both a minor and a major update since the Gen2 Hayabusa arrived on scene in 2008). I like to think that the 'Busa hasn't received any real development because it hasn't really needed it, now whether that's because it's just so damn good as-is (as-was?) or just because no manufacturer is putting money into the shrinking hyper-sport segment remains to be seen.

Suzuki was hurting financially for a lot of years recently, so putting development dollars into the 'Busa which continued to sell in decent numbers without any real changes made good business sense. It continues to be the flagship for the brand so I can guarantee that the model isn't going anywhere anytime soon. If the Gen3 bike is another mild styling evolution with a bit more power and a full electronics suite on board, I think that they will have hit the nail on the head and have a winner on their hands. YMMV. :cool:
i have a 09 and in love with it. But motorcycles seem to be behind in technology the busas are the same. Others have traction control and launch control. People were talking about how the gsxr-1000 is coining out with variable valve timing. Cars have had that for years. The busa is not a dinasour that's for sure pulling almost 200hp out of a unchoked 1.3. But nothing else in the world that is 9 years old is still up to date. Maybe the iPhone 1????

Back