Dealership horror story

Banshee807

Registered
Ok haven't posted much on the board so far because I'm in the middle of a trip across the country bringing my bike, 2007 Busa Red, from one home to the next. (Pics to follow upon my completion)

However that brings me to my most recent story. Normally I do my own maintence however as I'm inbetween homes I figured I just take the easy way out and take the bike into a dealership to have a simple oil change performed post winter stortage. Well things started out great and the guy at the shop got me in within 24 hrs. Dropped off the bike and a hour and a bit later it was done or so I thought. As the bike was pulled up out front I noticed oil leaking from the bottom. Turns of they forgot to tighten the drain plug, ok no big deal quick twist with a wrench and all is well. I ride the bike to a friend's place about 20 miles or so and notice it just doesn't feel right in reference to engine performance. I take another look at the oil thru the window and notice it's green in color! I phone the dealership and ask what kind of oil did they use and it turns out they used Havoline 10-40 car oil. I explain that car oil is unacceptable for a wet-clutch sports bike (although they should have known that, it was a suzuki bike dealership) and they have me bring the bike back (20 miles again) and drain the oil and change the filter and replace it with proper Motul Oil.

My question is this, I am about to ride 2000+ miles over the next week, could the above event have caused any real damage over the 40 miles I rode with car oil. Any issues I should have addressed before I head too far from help or am I good to go as the bike seems to be running well.

I don't think any damage would have been done. IIRC, cage oil may cause the clutch to slip just because it's not designed for that use. I think you'll be fine, especially since they've replaced the oil with moto-specific.
2cents.gif

At least you know not to take it back to *that* dealer!

I wouldn't worry about it. But I also wouldn't ever go back...

Ok haven't posted much on the board so far because I'm in the middle of a trip across the country bringing my bike, 2007 Busa Red, from one home to the next. (Pics to follow upon my completion)

However that brings me to my most recent story.  Normally I do my own maintence however as I'm inbetween homes I figured I just take the easy way out and take the bike into a dealership to have a simple oil change performed post winter stortage.  Well things started out great and the guy at the shop got me in within 24 hrs.  Dropped off the bike and a hour and a bit later it was done or so I thought.  As the bike was pulled up out front I noticed oil leaking from the bottom.  Turns of they forgot to tighten the drain plug, ok no big deal quick twist with a wrench and all is well.  I ride the bike to a friend's place about 20 miles or so and notice it just doesn't feel right in reference to engine performance.  I take another look at the oil thru the window and notice it's green in color!  I phone the dealership and ask what kind of oil did they use and it turns out they used Havoline 10-40 car oil.  I explain that car oil is unacceptable for a wet-clutch sports bike (although they should have known that, it was a suzuki bike dealership) and they have me bring the bike back (20 miles again) and drain the oil and change the filter and replace it with proper Motul Oil.

My question is this, I am about to ride 2000+ miles over the next week, could the above event have caused any real damage over the 40 miles I rode with car oil.  Any issues I should have addressed before I head too far from help or am I good to go as the bike seems to be running well.
Don't Go Back !!!!!!!!!!! Car oil only Screws with the Clutch. Soon as you Put MC Oil Back in Your Ok......... Don't Worry about it and Enjoy Your Bike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
race.gif

The car oil wasn't in long enough to impregnate the friction plates of the clutch so with a change right away all should be good.  A few things don't add up though, I can't imagine how the bike's performance would have been altered except for a possibly slipping clutch, which you didn't mention.  Did they really change the filter or did you ride off with a filter and oil cooler full of Havoline?  Sorry but I just don't get it.  You wouldn't take a bike in for tires and just say, 'put on a set' would you?  I take it you just didn't tell them what you wanted them to do, not that that's an excuse for them to use car oil but when you (pay) it should be for something you (want).

Once I had a bought a K&N oil filter and the nut on top of the filter prevented me from installing it between my headers. After 2 hours of messing with it I replaced the old OEM filter and since it was late in the day I couldn't get to the stealer to get an new OEM replacement. I wasn't going to put good Amsoil in with an old filter so I go to Discount Auto and buy some of their bike specific 10/40 just until the next day. Talk about a performance difference. Throttle response seemed different, my bike didn't accelerate the same. It was like night and day. First thing the next morning I got a $12.00 OEM filter put the Amsoil 10/40 in and all was well again in Busa land. I still have the K&N filter if anyone needs one.

Post like thes scare me, and make me very happy I have good mechanical ability. You should be o.k.

Back