Dealer Vs BikeBandit.com

critterdoc

Banned
So, I had to get an obscure part...namely the retainer clip for my rear calipers (I bent it during rear wheel installation, don't ask me how, but I did). I nip down to my local dealer to pick one up, it takes them 15 minutes to find the part number, they have to order it, it'll take at least 10 days to get it in.

I get on BikeBandit.com, it takes me 2 minutes to locate the part on their excellent diagrams, order it, and it arrives at my door 2 days later.

My question is: wouldn't it be simpler and more efficient for the dealers to order their parts from BikeBandit rather than Suzuki?

So, I had to get an obscure part...namely the retainer clip for my rear calipers (I bent it during rear wheel installation, don't ask me how, but I did). I nip down to my local dealer to pick one up, it takes them 15 minutes to find the part number, they have to order it, it'll take at least 10 days to get it in.

I get on BikeBandit.com, it takes me 2 minutes to locate the part on their excellent diagrams, order it, and it arrives at my door 2 days later.

My question is: wouldn't it be simpler and more efficient for the dealers to order their parts from BikeBandit rather than Suzuki?

Sounds like you answered your own question.

I've used BB a couple times and have been happy w/ their service.

Typically the profit margin on replacement parts for the OEM is around 400% and a huge chunk of that goes to the dealer. That's why they don't use BB or anyone else. I became extremely frustrated with Suzuki not too long ago because the dealers didn't stock the part I was looking for and said they had to order it from Suzuki. I ordered what I needed from Schnitz, they got it to me for a Saturday delivery cheaper than the dealer which would have taken a week or more.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

I've used BB a couple times and have been happy w/ their service.
What impressed me most is that this part cost $8. I mean, how much profit could there be from that? They'll be the first people I turn to if I need anything from now on!

I would bet there is also some sort of contractual agreement with Suzuki when you become a dealer...

Bike Bandit is the way to go and if you have an AMA membership you get 10% off each item yuou order including OEM parts. :thumbsup:

In this day and age of technology, I don't even know why dealerships do anything outside of selling the vehicle. Parts and better service can be found elsewhere at more reasonable rates. I'm sure you have your die-hards that live and swear by the dealership, but for the most part, it seems inevitable to me for that part of their business to become extinct.

The only reason to even go to a dealer after you buy the bike is because you want whatever it is right then and there. I always hate it when they say "Humm, we can order it for you". I just say thanks but I can order it for me.

I know the dealer can't compete with a big warehouse in South Dokata somewhere that's shipping all over the USA and World, but I wish they would at least stock some of the parts for when you need it today.

Actually, Bike Bandit gets ALL of their parts from a dealer. The dealer is House of Motorcycles in San Diego. Years ago, when a family owned the dealer, Bandit set up a contractual arrangement to buy manufacturers parts at wholesale. I don't know when the deal runs out or if it has been re-instated.

BB has a very cool free iPhone app too....they are not necessarily cheap, but they are much faster, and less troublesome than the dealer.

dealers dont even stock simple parts, other then oil filters they have to order everything! thats b.s. I dont want to wait for an air filter or a drain plug! or gaskets clutch side or stator side they should stock some common parts

dealers dont even stock simple parts, other then oil filters they have to order everything! thats b.s. I dont want to wait for an air filter or a drain plug! or gaskets clutch side or stator side they should stock some common parts
Agreed

yes, sounds logical but dealerships probably have to use suzuki directly if they use/sell there product. i am using bike bandit as we speak and have been for years. very good people to deal with. :beerchug:

BIKE BANDIT ALSO HAS FREE APP FOR IPHONE . AWESOME WITH DIAGRAMS AND EVERYTHING ..
I emailed them and said only complaint was you hear a cruiser start up and rev when app opens. They told me they were gonna update it with choices and asked me to send a sound clip of a sportbike with performance exhaust on it .
I did and hopefully Blanca will be an Intl sound star ;)

Most local dealers dont have the volume to order daily, that's the reason you were told such a long turn around time. BikeBandit and several other companies have much more order volume and order everyday. Another thing to consider there are only 3 main warehouses for Suzuki parts in the US. If you live in GA but the part is coming from the CA warehouse, isn't much that can be done about that.

Dealer risks franchise violations if he's caught ordering OEM parts from other than franchisor. Back in the day, my dad - an Esso dealer - was always steamed because the local discount store across the street could sell Esso brand motor oil cheaper than my dad could buy it from the Esso jobber. But Dad was handcuffed by his franchise agreement.

CW

In this day and age of technology, I don't even know why dealerships do anything outside of selling the vehicle. Parts and better service can be found elsewhere at more reasonable rates. I'm sure you have your die-hards that live and swear by the dealership, but for the most part, it seems inevitable to me for that part of their business to become extinct.

And good luck finding a dealership who will honor their work anymore. They always try to find a way out of fixing their own mistakes. My oil filter was leaking after they did my oil change, so I called them and they told me bring it in. I did... and they tried to charge me for another oil change after they pulled the filter and rechanged the oil for some reason.

Back