Dead '04 with only 90 miles!

gearbreaker

Registered
Ready for a time warp? I have an 04 with 90 miles in pristine condition. Yep, 90 miles. It sat indoors last winter but apparently the ethanol got to it so the tank and pump turned into a pile of rust. I installed a used tank and pump (thank you to the great people on this forum that supplied the parts). Pressure is fine and injectors are seeing electric pulses as verified with a light bulb attached to one of the injector feed connectors. No start so I pulled the injectors and powered each of them on and I could blow through them. Checked all lines and tested fuel pressure, all is well there. It seems that all of the rust had been caught by the in tank strainer. A little starting fluid will make it run perfectly for a few seconds. No FI light. Not often that I cry for help but this one is driving me crazy. Help!???

When you powered them on, as in you jumpered them and left them on?

The injectors could still be the issue, the pulse is very quick so if the injector is reacting slow then it may not be able to actually deliver fuel. Look down the throttle body with the throttle open and see if you have any fuel at all happening. I'd unplug the coils just to make sure it doesn't fire up, my luck that's when it would come together and light off.

Did you check the that the pressure is actually at spec? As I recall it's 35PSI. You can also take a stethoscope and listen to the injector as you spin it over, you should hear a very distinct click.

Great points... I wasn't sure of the fuel pressure spec so I didn't put a gauge on it. However, judging from the spray that I can create by disconnecting the line from the rail and holding my thumb over it, it's pumping pretty well. I would think it would be enough to get at least a pop or two out of, if nothing else. I'll attempt to put a gauge on it tomorrow. The "new" pump is much louder than the original so I do question it a bit.

Yes, I actually removed the injectors and connected them one at a time to a 12V source. I was careful not to leave them connected for more than a second or two for fear of overheating the coils. While they were out I also sprayed them down with carb cleaner, shook and blew them out well.

When I light bulbed the injector wires I noticed that the injector(s) would stay powered for about .25-.5 seconds while cranking with the throttle set to idle. At 3/4 there was a quicker pulse and at WOT there was no visible pulse at all. Perhaps this was because of the thermal lag of the bulb but I would think that the pulses should be longest at WOT. I will attempt to put a scope on it tomorrow to see what is really going on. I'll also try the stethoscope but I'm not sure that with the starter cranking the ticks will be audible.

Maybe something happened to the TPS as I had to work the throttle free after the bike sat. The throttle felt almost gooey after I got it freed up. The butterfly shaft was what was giving me the difficulty. I'll pull the TPS and check for any signs of deformation tomorrow too.

At this point I agree that the injectors are suspect and I wish I had a set to test with. Your point about the lag is well taken. Perhaps I will pull them again and soak them in a solvent. I scratch my head because I can blow through them with the coils energized so I should get at least a little pop or two while cranking.

No fuel is visivle at all looking down the TB's. However, if I drop a bit of fuel into them I get a perfect run for a second or two.

Thank you for the thoughts and suggestions. I am still open to any other thoughts you or anyone comes up with. I'll keep you posted.

When you powered them on, as in you jumpered them and left them on?

The injectors could still be the issue, the pulse is very quick so if the injector is reacting slow then it may not be able to actually deliver fuel. Look down the throttle body with the throttle open and see if you have any fuel at all happening. I'd unplug the coils just to make sure it doesn't fire up, my luck that's when it would come together and light off.

Did you check the that the pressure is actually at spec? As I recall it's 35PSI. You can also take a stethoscope and listen to the injector as you spin it over, you should hear a very distinct click.

when you first turn the key to the on position the momentary fuel pump whine that you should be hearing is the fuel rails being pressurized. the ecu sends a signal to the injector, opening it.

should, should, should!

a quick injector solenoid test is to ohm out the injectors. measure and compare one to the next. they should all be pretty dang close.

so, if the electric portion of the injector is fine, and the trigger is fine... spray pattern?

its possible that they are all gummed up. i dont know how probable though.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. Turns out that it was the pump. It was only putting out about 15#. Replaced it and the bike fired right up. However, while troubleshooting I found that one of the injectors is not spraying correctly so if anyone has a lead on a cheap single replacement or even a set please let me know. Chris.

Back