Donating Member
Registered
As in:

Diagnosis

Diabetes

Dammit

Dammit

Dammit

Three weeks ago, I went to the Dr. for the "Age 40 Checkup" (three years late) and my blood sugar tested at 344.

Dammit

Since then, been working to get it back to normal which is about 70 to 120 but ideally, about 80 or 90.

Dammit

It's been a bit tough for three weeks but I'm getting it there. This morning, I tested at 103 so I'm moving the right direction.

Last July, I started working out with heavy weight training and that took 18 pounds off me. I figure I need to strip off another 20 and that will go a long way toward getting me back to "normal."

Dammit

Oh, well. Part of me is still mad but for the most part, what're you going to do? Just deal with it, no matter what. Coulda been worse. I coulda had this for 20 years and suddenly have to have my legs amputated like Mr. Miller did a few days ago.

At least, I still have my overall health and strength. In the message boards on American Diabetes Association Home Page, there are some people there having some REAL trials.

Anyhoo, I'll still be able to ride. That's the most important thing, of course!! :D

--Wag--

Sounds like you are going about it in the right way. Diet & exercise go a long way in controlling it. Glad to here you haven't let it get you down!! :thumbsup:

Good that you found out sooner than later...it is manageable and maybe someday they will find a cure :beerchug:

Better to know and be able to do something about it before it takes a serious toll on your body. You're doing the right thing for your health right now. Diabetes runs in my family so my doc checks my blood work every year.

Good notes for everyone.

We are in charge of our health... not the docs.

And in this instant gratfication society of ours, we can't allways just look to take a pill.

I heard on the news the other day that some dumba$$ has determined that being overweight is a virus. That's another "D" for you. Maybe a bailout is in order for the fat a$$es - but I digress (whoops, that's another "D").

Sorry to hear this, but the silver lining is immediately apparent.

Kudos for keeping tabs on your overall health. :beerchug:

My wife used to do diabetes counseling for a living, there is alot of info out there to help you. You are doing exactly what you need to be (lowering your weight and exercise). You have no idea how many people just give up and don't even try. Count your blessing Wag it could have been cancer. Best of luck to you.

go buy a used tread mill and walk 20 minutes a day when you wake up... it's just 20 minutes don't over do it just start off slow but do it everyday...

I'm tellin' ya, I'm overjoyed that we caught it when we did. There's a possibility that nerve damage started in my feet already but too soon to tell for sure. The Dr. was pretty jazzed about it, too.

Symptoms that made me think I might get this diagnosis was

Frequently peeing (3 to 6 times a night)
Raging thirst all the time, especially at night
Foot pain, especially sharp, sudden stabs
A feeling like I'm walking on a large callous right at the ball of my foot. Weird, that one.

At any rate, I'm glad I was diagnosed on this visit. If I hadn't been, and then it jumped on me right away, I probably would have stayed away from the Dr. for another ten years. Typical man I am, eh?! :D

My wife's cousin's husband just passed away from complications of Type I diabetes. He has always had major issues with it due to his rebellion about it as a teenager. In fact, the more I read up on it, the more I discover that people have a tendency to rebel and avoid dealing with this for so long, they create all kinds of problems for themselves.

Gotta hate that.

So yeah, my life is changed. I'm carrying around this meter now and it feels a lot like a friggin' attachment or crutch. Small problem, of course.

As for the workout: About an hour of heavy weights every day, then time on the elliptical. I'm still a bit embarrassed about my time on the elliptical. I started at 6 minutes and thought I was going to DIE on the spot! Regretted a helluva lot of cigarettes, lemme tellya! That was about a week ago. Now I'm up to a whopping 10 minutes. That damn thing is nowhere near as easy as it looks!

:D

Thanks for all your well-wishes. I'm optimistic and confident that I'll be fine.

--Wag--

I cought it in November :laugh:
Jaunmet is working for me. changed my diet a bit and keeping away from the soda. lost 20 lbs in the past few months but the loss stalled out lately. maintaining weight and sugar is just above normal. will start a workout when work sched. allows. good luck.

I have been a Diabetic for 37 years. There are no two diabetics that are the same. Just hang in there, sometimes diabetic is controled by just diet, others pill, and then Insulin (shots) I used the pump and tested 4 to 6 times a day to keep my sugar just right, Always checked before I ate. Now that I have a transplant,I am no longer a diabetic as far as low sugars,testing,and diet goes. The damage that is done is done and the rest of the damage will continue and a lower rate. So now is gives me a few more years extra to live. You will Always hate but you will learn to accept it. Good Luck and enough said, I can go on forever when it comes to typing, :laugh:

Wow. So sorry to hear.
Stay on top of that nerve damage stuff.
I've known too many diabetic amputees.

Glad you are dealing with it. Listen to your Docs and keep researching info on your own too.

My SIL has been diabetic for over 25 yrs. She basically ignored it, abused her insulin so that she could continue to eat like she always had. After a couple of diabetic comas and a kidney transplant that almost wasn't, she has finally decided to accept it and is doing great now. My FIL is total opposit of his daughter. He found out in his early 40's and accepted it and has had very little complications. He is very meticulous about his food intake and insulin. He doesn't exercise much and still smokes, but the diabeties is under control.

Good luck and prayers for your health to continue to improve. :thumbsup:

I am very glad to hear you caught it and are doing the diet and exercise thing. Hopefully in the future this might be all you need.
In the past I had what the Endocrinologist diagnosed as "impaired glucose tolerance". They did a million tests and sent me to dieticians and such. I was on different pills. Finally weight loss helped.

Back