cooling issue

Ban-One

Registered
I went to Daytona yesterday and had some cooling problems. The ride there was fine. No problems at all. Once there, sitting in traffic, stop and go, stop and go, the temp started to rise. It got so high that on a bridge I shut it off because we were stoped. Once I started it again my temp was at red and the red light came on. I pulled onto the side and sat for 10min or so, then coasted down. We then parked and had some drinks. After that we headed back home. On I-95 it was fine. I have never had any problems, ever. I have also never had a reason to ckeck the clloant level. My fan was on a lot as well. I know that a fan is only good if you have cool air flowing in. Is this what one will expect from sitting in traffic like this?
Does anyone here use Water Weter or Purple Ice?

you may be low on fluid. your radiator may be dirty too not allowing good air flow through it. ice helps but you shouldnt have to use it. you could also wrap your headers.

I usually turn the engine off in traffic if tooo slow... meaning if there is atleast a 2minute wait and above.

This is normal in heavy stop and go traffic, especially if you're stationary for periods of time. You need to check all the easy stuff, but in the end you need the muzzy fan mod with the additional fan if you plan on doing rides like this. You can find lots of information here about those mods. :beerchug:

This is normal in heavy stop and go traffic, especially if you're stationary for periods of time. You need to check all the easy stuff, but in the end you need the muzzy fan mod with the additional fan if you plan on doing rides like this. You can find lots of information here about those mods. :beerchug:
+1, as long as the fan is running and coolant is not boiling out, keep going..

Shutting the bike down should be a last resort as that can actually cause a boil over (heat soak from motor cases) keeping the water circulating and the cooling fan running is most important..

PM Gixerhp for a second fan mod..

Yep when you shut your motor down the temp will actually rise up some before it then starts to cool. bike might have a radiator,but it is designed to work with proper air flow. hence the overheating in stop n go traffic.

Can do things to help prevent overheating happening,but best is not to let it get into that type of situation. Wrapping stuff like the exhaust can help keep heat down inside also.

I disagree that it's "normal" for it to overheat in stop 'n' go traffic. I've been in the worst and when the temp rises to about halfway, the fan kicks on and holds it there. All stock cooling system.

I do have water wetter in it now but even before then, it never was a problem.

--Wag--

The overflow tank is low, so I will add coolant, dist water, and water wetter.

Drain it, give it a good flushing and use Engine Ice. And dont shut off your bike when it does that. Like Randy said, it's better to leave it run.

I disagree that it's "normal" for it to overheat in stop 'n' go traffic. I've been in the worst and when the temp rises to about halfway, the fan kicks on and holds it there. All stock cooling system.

--Wag--

+1

I was in Vegas a few years ago with two other members...mid day and 105 degree heat :fire: We were crawling in traffic and the other two bikes were overheating (into the red) my bike with ONLY distilled water and about a 1/2 bottle of Water Wetter, was running just above the mid point on the gauge (normal) the fan would come on from time to time, but I could have let it run ALL day and it was fine :thumbsup:

Water Wetter :beerchug:

Water Wetter or Engine Ice and a Muzzy Fan. If that doesn't help go for the second fan from Gixerhp.

Looks to be a couple of active coolant related threads this evening so I'll throw this out there: Has anyone uses a product called "Iceman PRK" (Pro Race Koolant)? It's a pre-mixed coolant that claims to reduce engine temps by as much as 50°F.
Posted via Mobile Device

--Wag--

+1 on that

Get a second fan mod,royal purple got bad feedback,use water wetter or engine ice.I am using maxima cool aid its good.Change both the fans blades to Muzzy aluminium.

Get a second fan mod,royal purple got bad feedback,use water wetter or engine ice.I am using maxima cool aid its good.Change both the fans blades to Muzzy aluminium.

+1 Muzzy blade Excellent choice, dual fan i dont have yet, but i'm considering it.

I think most missed the fact that the temp was rising "until he turned it off" yes, they go into the red at that point.. as long as the fan is cycling, the thing is not overheated..

Turning off a hot motor means you LEAVE IT OFF for a good period of time so it can cool.. Turning off an already slightly heated motor will make it overheat..

I did not see where it had boiled over or was blowing coolant out (typical of a motor that IS overheated).. Gauge readings are not all that reliable and so you kind of have to rely on the fan cycles to indicate a real problem.. (mine indicates hot when it is not boiling)

point being if you turn off the bike because it is hot, you best leave it off for an hour or more before restarting it..

Back