Comparing helmets

IG.

Registered
I've had my Shoei RF-900 for some time, and the padding (atop of my head when helmet is on) started to crumble. I also got nice looking Icon Alliance helmet along with '06 Busa which I purchased after Sandy flooded my '01. So, I figured let me switch to Icon helmet since it's a perfect fit. I rode a few times with this helmet, and only in comparison I can appreciate quality of Shoei.

First thing I noticed that the field of view up top is lower. We all know that during aggressive riding, we mostly use the upper portion of the visor, and that was a bit of a surprise.

Second, I started to hear all kinds of whistling sounds of various frequencies, depending on my speed and on my head position. Not really a problem, but annoying.

Third, there is a place where two highways merge, and I really need to turn my head to make sure I can merge safely. As I turned my head, the wind flipped the visor up - twice in this same place! What the heck? I noticed that when the visor is closed, there seems to be too much play for the visor - about 3-4mm. I took off the visor, checked all fasteners - all is tight and good. Rode again, still happened. Not every time, but at least half the times. I push the visor down hard, and that seems to help at least temporarily. I looked, and there seems to be no way to adjust this. I will check again, maybe I am missing something.

Not going to lie, I went the cheap helmet route after owning a Shoei RF1000. Never again will I get a cheap helmet. Right now I have Shoei X-12 I use for riding on the street and a new AGV Corsa for racing.
I feel it is not necessarily a big difference in safety but the little things like eye port size, wind noise, buffeting, fit and feel, how the shields work, etc. that make a helmet worth the money.

For helmets i like the shoei and the arai brand these brands are a little bit more expensive but well worth it in the long run i always wear ear plugs also :thumbsup:

GNBRETT posted a fairly long helmet comparo. He was wanting a light weight helmet and looking at carbon fiber, I was interested because I like carbon fiber stuff. He found that the best helmet for the money was Shoei's RF1200. It was actually a few ounces lighter than carbon fiber. If you're really strapped for cash Scorpion EXO 1100 is a pretty good choice too. I have 2 Shoei's (NeoTech and RF100) and a Scorpion (which I've only worn once) It's hard to go out with anything but one of the Shoei's.

Icon Helmets suck in every way possible :banghead:

Bought a hayabusa air frame edition and I pretty much threw money down the toilet. Helmet was loud and had horrible wind buffeting. The visor notches wore out faster than any helmet I've ever owned in my life and I don't even fiddle with it a lot?? Just crack it to let air in from time 2 time. The helmet strap secure button broke?? Like how does that happen.... one day just popped off??

This was and still is a great looking helmet which is what lured me in but when it comes to form, function, and quality it is not in the same galaxy as the better known brands like Bell, Arai, and Shoei

I see what you are saying guys. I am in the process of fixing my Shoei. I just need to find a thin foam padding, glue it in there and that will be it. I was taking off my helmet at the end of every session at a recent track day, and was discovering crumbles of something on my head. I would just brush it off, but was puzzled. After a close look, the thin foam padding at the top started to crumble and disintegrate, LOL

I used this opportunity to wash the internals of the helmet with detergent. Was drying it for a few days in my boiler room. It's dry now. But still stinks!

If you need an Arai. let me know. I may or may not have what you are looking for.

If you need an Arai. let me know. I may or may not have what you are looking for.

Thanks for the offer, but don't have funds for a new helmet now, especially when I have two of them. So, at the moment, my approach is: fix it up and ride.

Not going to lie, I went the cheap helmet route after owning a Shoei RF1000. Never again will I get a cheap helmet. Right now I have Shoei X-12 I use for riding on the street and a new AGV Corsa for racing.
I feel it is not necessarily a big difference in safety but the little things like eye port size, wind noise, buffeting, fit and feel, how the shields work, etc. that make a helmet worth the money.

Before you say that cost isn't a factor, you should check out the helmet ratings on this site:

SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

Look at the ratings for Shoei and compare with HJC. Also Bell does an excellent job.

You'll see there is typically (but not always) some correlation between cost and safety. All helmets meet DOT standards, but that doesn't mean they are all exactly the same level of protection.

Before you say that cost isn't a factor, you should check out the helmet ratings on this site:

SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

Look at the ratings for Shoei and compare with HJC. Also Bell does an excellent job.

You'll see there is typically (but not always) some correlation between cost and safety. All helmets meet DOT standards, but that doesn't mean they are all exactly the same level of protection.

That's a cool site. Lots of info there.

Back