Coast to Coast Round Trip Under 5 Days

Snakers

Registered
Some of you might have read my previous thread about my plans earlier but with the new touring forum, I figured it would be more appropriate here:

The trip will begin in Toledo, OH at a location to be decided in the future, to a location in New York, NY, continue to a location in Los Angeles, CA, and then back to the original starting location in Toledo, OH for a 5,716 miles in an attempted 5 days.

Google Maps calculates a 3 day, 21 Hour journey.

I will be recording every second of riding footage to a series of SD cards with a mounted camera. (Something like a Go Pro, or any other I find that I like)
Additionally, at my stops I will be recording a video log.

Originally, I thought about seeking sponsorship and whatnot for this but since, I have decided against it. I want the footage, the journey, everything to be my own.

So far I have planned my route Map and I am planning what I will be taking.

One of my big concerns was the amount of memory cards I would be needing to store all the footage. Lucky for me I am decent with computer technology and found this which will let me take my SD memory card out of my video recorder and download all of the data onto a large hard drive, erase the information and put it back into my video camera.

Now I am debating on having a front facing and rear facing camera...
Trying to stay as cheap as possible on hardware because I know the trip is gonna cost me a decent amount too.

Other items:
GPS (most likely in cell phone)
Cigarette lighter adapter
cell phone mount
Video Cameras
Camel bag

Fun stuff:
I am going to buy an app for my phone that allows people to track my location by GPS when I turn it on so you can watch where I am at while I travel.

Im trying to leave end of may or early june.

:thumbsup:Sounds tough,but what a great adventure. best of luck and God's speed.

I did a trip across the country in 02 on my busa . the only thing I wish I had was a throttlemister so I could let go with my right hand once in a while . At least get a Throttle boss , it will help . the stock seat is fine but a corbin would be better . I did 39 states in a month . It was a blast ! Have fun stay safe ! Oh and if you ride 1100 miles for 5 days in a row I will bow down to you because YOU will be the s$@t !!!!!

Last edited:
buy this if you already have a battery tender harness:

32357_1.jpg

then maybe this so you can run more stuff:

!BZ,c,(g!2k~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLmbZRpBKmpzU5yEQ~~_35.JPG

buy this if you already have a battery tender harness:

32357_1.jpg

then maybe this so you can run more stuff:

!BZ,c,(g!2k~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLmbZRpBKmpzU5yEQ~~_35.JPG

That's COOL I haven't seen one of those. Where did you get it? If I had that and an extra battery tender harness i could keep everything charged all the time. Right now I am running everything off a keyed plug.

I've been looking into the nelson rigg gear with the solar panels... i had trouble keeping my cell phone charged because i use it for my music. 1000 miles seemed to be the limit lol.

Fun trip planned! 4 days of sensory overload.

Did something like this a few years back and wrote a book about it called 6000 Mile in 8 Days. You might enjoy the story, longest jaunt was 36 hrs straight sitting on bike.
Motorcycle Road Trip: Iron Butt Style- The 1200 Mile Day | Pashnit.com

Power Outlets
Buy Now: Powerlet Wires & Connectors for Motorcycles, SAE, Coax, BMW Plugs | Pashnit Moto Products

GoPro HD Camera & Accessories:
GoPro HD Hero Video Camera - LOW Price + FREE USA Ship | PashnitMoto.com

Easily power the camera with your bike via usb.
Buy Now: Powerlet Wires & Connectors for Motorcycles, SAE, Coax, BMW Plugs | Pashnit Moto Products

Mounting ideas:
GoPro HD Mounting Ideas on your Motorcycle | PashnitMoto.com

If you are going to film the entire ride, why not mount the camera in multiple positions all over the bike?

Dsc04520_800.jpg

Get one or two 32 gb cards for the camera. I carry a mini-laptop (Acer) with me when I travel ($250 at Walmart). Just transfer files at lunch and done.

Plan on getting some heated gear too. It will make your life so much easier.

Dsc04520_800.jpg

That's COOL I haven't seen one of those. Where did you get it? If I had that and an extra battery tender harness i could keep everything charged all the time. Right now I am running everything off a keyed plug.
I got the tender harness adapter from CompAcc ($8.99): Deltran Battery Tender 12 Volt Cigarette Plug Adapter Competition Accessories

Bought the cig plug splitter from ebay for $4.00 SHIPPED (this one has a fuse and an LED indicator): eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm :whistle: , ever though of getting a 50 CC tag from the Iron Butt Assoc (IBA). Thats Coast to Coast in 50 hours and back in another 50 hours to get a 100 CC Tag. Most who do this start in Jacksonville, Fla and go to San Diego, Cal (or Vice Virsa). It's 2,500 miles one way and most do a 4 hour rest stop :sleeping: in Junction, Texas. Just look up the IBA site and read how and who has done this.

As for me, a 1,500 miler in 36 hours is enough :goodboy:

Either way, GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN :beerchug:

a 32GB card will hold 20 hours of pics if you take a pic every 5 seconds. that will cover 1000 miles and some change if you are at highway speeds.

a 32GB card will hold 20 hours of pics if you take a pic every 5 seconds. that will cover 1000 miles and some change if you are at highway speeds.

:thumbsup: There you go.

Load it into PhotoStory and you'd have a cool sequence of pics to work with.

I was more thinking 4 32 gig cards, 1 of the memory dumping devices with 500 gig hdd and recording 720p the whole way, swapping the card out when it gets full and dumping it to the 500 gig drive...

5 Days of riding footage...sped up into 20 minutes, could be fun

Wow, what a ride. Hope to hear you made it safe, long trip, many variables.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just figured what Google Map calculated as your average speed. They say, 61 mph :;): . From a voice of experience, that's a VERY OPTIMISTIC number even for just road average plus fuel stops, unless your planning on doing some VERY high speeds for most of the way. Generally speaking, a 58 mph average using interstates is about right (and that's with quick stops and a smig :nono: :laugh: over the posted speed limits) without including sleep time. Just curious, what average did you plan on ? That of course includes stops for food :coffee: :eatchicken:, fuel and Sleep :sleeping: .

Above all, BE SAFE and stay within your limits. Especially if you've never made a Long Distance very little sleep run before. And going 5,000 miles plus in 5 days will be a Long Distance very little sleep run.

:2cents:

I live about 14mi south of I 10 about 2hrs East of Junction. If you have any minor mechanicals that need tending I have a garage full of tools. 5000k you might even need an oil change. I bet we could have you in and out in under 30 min. If that fits into your plans when you go pm me for a cell#. I should be in town in June.

Back