clutch/transmission experts please

saygbye

10 sec L
Donating Member
Registered
heres the problem

rode the bike for the first time this year. rode for about 30 minutes and decided to air it out a little, drag race style. got down on it in first, all good, shifted 2 second and it would pull hard for a second or two then clunk, pull hard then clunk, pull hard then clunk. (i didnt get on it hard in 3rd or above after that happened so i cant say if it would do it in any other gear or not) felt like second was "grabbing" off and on or something. tried it again 2 more times same results.

came home called a buddy. he says 2nd gear is out. not what i wanted to hear so i called another buddy for a second opinion.

the other friend said he thought it was clutches. that if it was the tranny it would be jumping out of gear under normal driving situations. he said he thought the clutches were gettin hot and giving it the "jerkin" that was happening. . so i let the bike cool down for about an hour took it back out just long enough to warm it up, about about 5 minutes, and tried it again. it did it again but not as bad. that made me think clutches was right.

now im lost. i do know id rather put clutches in it than a tranny. any body had this problem? :cry:

Sounds like your fibers are gone. Pull them out for inspection. Easiest way to see what is wrong. If they look good, then the dogs could be bad on your gear set, but I doubt that.

heres the problem

rode the bike for the first time this year. rode for about 30 minutes and decided to air it out a little, drag race style. got down on it in first, all good, shifted 2 second and it would pull hard for a second or two then clunk, pull hard then clunk, pull hard then clunk. (i didnt get on it hard in 3rd or above after that happened so i cant say if it would do it in any other gear or not) felt like second was "grabbing" off and on or something. tried it again 2 more times same results.

came home called a buddy. he says 2nd gear is out. not what i wanted to hear so i called another buddy for a second opinion.

the other friend said he thought it was clutches. that if it was the tranny it would be jumping out of gear under normal driving situations. he said he thought the clutches were gettin hot and giving it the "jerkin" that was happening. . so i let the bike cool down for about an hour took it back out just long enough to warm it up, about about 5 minutes, and tried it again. it did it again but not as bad. that made me think clutches was right.

now im lost. i do know id rather put clutches in it than a tranny. any body had this problem? :cry:

Second gear is shot. Second and sixth (driven) need to be pulled out and either undercut (if they are not too far gone), or replaced. While you are in there, you should have the entire transmission undercut. Take the bike out for another ride - see if it does it in any other gear. It probably does not. You need to pull the motor, do a crankcase split, and fix that tranny.:rulez:

+1 to second gear. STOP RIDING NOW! drop the motor, split the case, send the tranny to whoever you want. There are tons of people that do the work and it is NOT expensive. get yourself some honda bond or suzuki bond, a set of cometic engine gaskets and an inch-pound torque wrench.

you may have to order some shift forks - may want to go with APE HD shift fork rods as well.....

and if you have extra $$$, send the crank off and have it balanced and remove the counter weight....

And get a Clymer manual..

+1 to second gear. STOP RIDING NOW! drop the motor, split the case, send the tranny to whoever you want. There are tons of people that do the work and it is NOT expensive. get yourself some honda bond or suzuki bond, a set of cometic engine gaskets and an inch-pound torque wrench.

you may have to order some shift forks - may want to go with APE HD shift fork rods as well.....

and if you have extra $$$, send the crank off and have it balanced and remove the counter weight....

And get a Clymer manual..

Whoooow.. Sounds easy..

My trans isn't out yet. But I had a friend just go thru this.. $7k and 3 prime riding months later the dealership finally returned his bike.

Anyone with experience doing this repair, please post up your time line on how long from start to finish. Maybe cost and part sources.

Has anyone tried to compile a database of manufactures, distrbuters, suppliers and maybe repair places that can perform just the essentials for the shade tree mech?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

60$ for the tranny cut, gaskets and engine removal tool from Schnitz, 60$ torque wrench, can be done start to finish in 2 weeks (shipping time on the tranny)

Following the service manual helps...it walks you through a complete tear down...which you do not have to do (remove head, valves, cams etc).

yep sounds like tranny. i when you pull the transmission check first gear just to be sure. My first gear was bad as well as my second gear.

Whoooow.. Sounds easy..

My trans isn't out yet. But I had a friend just go thru this.. $7k and 3 prime riding months later the dealership finally returned his bike.

Anyone with experience doing this repair, please post up your time line on how long from start to finish. Maybe cost and part sources.

Has anyone tried to compile a database of manufactures, distrbuters, suppliers and maybe repair places that can perform just the essentials for the shade tree mech?

$7000.oo to fix a transmission!? Seriously? Call the Better Business Bereua, that's robbery, and that's almost enough for a new bike!

i would say from my personal experence that its ur 2nd cause it if was clutch it would be sliping in all gears

60$ for the tranny cut, gaskets and engine removal tool from Schnitz, 60$ torque wrench, can be done start to finish in 2 weeks (shipping time on the tranny)

i also would suggest getting 1st cut aswell i had all mine cut sent to fast by gast took afew more weeks but being the second time taking my transmission out i didnt wanna have to take it out again, it was a pain in the a@# but just my opinion. $300 for undercut and few dollars for liquid gasket and other gaskets

i also would suggest getting 1st cut aswell i had all mine cut sent to fast by gast took afew more weeks but being the second time taking my transmission out i didnt wanna have to take it out again, it was a pain in the a@# but just my opinion. $300 for undercut and few dollars for liquid gasket and other gaskets

300????

Robinson did mine for 60

$7000.oo to fix a transmission!? Seriously? Call the Better Business Bereua, that's robbery, and that's almost enough for a new bike!

Idk bout the bbb. But I told him we can knock this out in the garage in a fraction if the time and for about 700- with the org's help of course..

I think I'm doing mine after this season is over, just cause.

Back