Clutch question

dnjinoz

Registered
Has anyone ever had the problem of driving through the clutch around 3rd or 4th gear when under boost? What are the options to a stronger clutch not going with a lockup?

What is your clutch setup like now? Stack height, spring etc. Are you running a welded hub or ultra mod? Do you drag race it.

I'm stock and was pushing through mine in 4th and 5th at the track. There was some wear but it was not hurt bad. Some small changes and it hooked up great.

Completely stock. Yeah mostly at the track but took it out on the highway the other day to test it and it was slipping there too. What have you done?

He'll probably answer shortly, but if ya do a search on clutch, you'll find a recent thread on it.
super.gif

I highly recommend a slave support or billet sprocket cover. I’m using a clutch mod. If you are not having problems with the stock hub grabbing on launch, I would leave it alone with your turbo. It works as a slight lockup. Welding or replacing it with a one-piece takes that away.

I have a set of .180â€￾ spring spacers from Brock (or other sources) like that is included in his clutch mod. My stack is at 2.00 inches. I use 4 stock spring (get new ones) and 2 Barnett springs (yellow) (don’t use without spacers). If you needed more you could add 1 Barnett at a time. Order some 3 or 4 thick plates. Pull it apart and inspect per the manual and swap thick for thin to get the stack right. If the steels look burnt bead blast them.

There are some other springs that can be swapped. I have some specs for some.

Dayum! Thanks for that info, sounds like you've been there before and know your ****. To some of your post....no I don't have a problem sliding the clutch so no mod or welding for me. What do you know about this kit?http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=3279893&showprevnext=1
SO I need to order soem new stock springs and some HD barnett springs, 4 stock 2 HD and add as or if needed? Also order some stock steel plates to make the stack adjustment to 2"?
My goal is to run 8.9's with stock wheel base, best 60' so far is 1.53 but on the big end my shift light won't turn off, and the u-soft isn't slipping.
biggrin.gif

heavy duty springs.

Haven't pushed thru mine with 270hp. I know guys running on a stock clutch with HD springs and 350hp.

(dnjinoz @ Jun. 11 2007,00:flamethrowing:) Dayum! Thanks for that info, sounds like you've been there before and know your ****. To some of your post....no I don't have a problem sliding the clutch so no mod or welding for me. What do you know about this kit?http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=3279893&showprevnext=1
SO I need to order soem new stock springs and some HD barnett springs, 4 stock 2 HD and add as or if needed? Also order some stock steel plates to make the stack adjustment to 2"?
My goal is to run 8.9's with stock wheel base, best 60' so far is 1.53 but on the big end my shift light won't turn off, and the u-soft isn't slipping.
biggrin.gif
Played with it a bit, but I don’t have the HP you are pushing.

The kit link you are showing will lock the hub to prevent grabbing, but in doing so it will not allow it to increase the spring pressure while on the gas.

Here are some spring pressure totals for you.

My stock ones with 8k miles 180#s
6 New Stock 210#s
6 New stock with .180â€￾ spacers 300#’s
4 new stock 2 Barnett with spacers 320#s

Each Barnett will add 10#s but, only if used with the spacer. The lower free height means they have about 3#s less than the stock ones when at stock installed height.

I’ve got the pressures for the Brock HD springs around somewhere. He sells a combination 4-2. They need to be used without spacers…. But they are way stiff.

Nice 60s!

stock clutch is strongest even better then the aftermarket clutches... Just put in bigger clutch springs.

I am turbo with 30K on the bike, 4K with the turbo and still using hte original clutch...
SHOCKED.gif

Cloud

APE heavy duty springs. They're a little more tricky to lauch with, but they hold over 470HP on mine.

Oh and get a billet sproket cover with these springs or you will be replacing the stock one when it breaks.

(dnjinoz @ Jun. 10 2007,05:09) Completely stock. Yeah mostly at the track but took it out on the highway the other day to test it and it was slipping there too. What have you done?
COMPLETELY STOCK WILL NOT WORK WELL AT THE TRACK.  I WOULD SAY CHECK YOUR SPRINGS FIRST.  I WILL BET THAT THEY ARE CRACKED. Go with heavier springs as most are suggesting.

APE springs on the stock clutch work fine for me, on the bottle i'm running 250hp with no slippage.

Thanks everyone, looks like springs and a support cover or billet cover are on my fathers day wish list.
smile.gif

Back