Clutch Problem

ducrider17

Registered
Took clutch out of my 2001 Busa lightly sanded metal plates and reinstalled will not engage the gears and move the bike after short test ride. Is clutch done or other problem internally? Also new to the group thank you for accepting me

Why did you sand your steels? What did your friction plates look like? Are you sure you reassembled everything correctly?

Is it not engaging (loose spinning) or is it not allowing you to put it in gear? There are a few ways to reassemble it incorrectly that will make it so it will not engage. Also, if your steals were warped and you put new friction plates in it may be too thick now with the earped steels and grabbing to the point where it will not allow you to put it in gear.
Sometimes it can just be a matter of fully saturating the new clutch assembly in oil. Mine typically needs to be broken loose a bit in order to behave normally after I change the clutch pack.

The clutch back in the day was called a cardboard clutch by the techs it was fibre and slipped quite a bit has been improved since. Anyway back then when the problem first occurred the tech said lightly sand the plates to remove the glazing and very smooth spots from the plates so I did and it cured the problem till now! Anyway bike is a bit long in the tooth with only 27550 mls on the clock do not abuse never been topped out and well maintained. So anyway it needed an oil change and the clutch was actin' up! So I guess I will just replace with a new one Just wanted to make sure it was it is not a more serious internal problem.Guess I have been fortunate since I got the bike back in 2002.

Suzuki sells a clutch pack (fibers and steels) for a decent price. I found replacing the steels as well as the fibers is a sure fire way to get a smooth clutch. Seems like my steels always appear to be totally flat, but seldom are.

Last edited:
Back