CLUTCH COVER

ToXSicK RoCKeT

Registered
Hey guys, can some PLEASE tell me what type of metal the busa's factory clutch cover is made of? Someone told me magnesiom(prob spelled wrong)? is this true? thx in advance

It's aluminum, not magnesium.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!
bowdown.gif
thats what i THOUGHT
firedevil.gif
......... you just helped me WIN A 50.00 BET
shake.gif
clap.gif

If it was made of magnesium, as soon as you got it hot enough from dragging, it would eventually catch fire....and what a fire that would be !!!!!!! VW's used to have magnesium case halves....they'd catch fire also.....ask me how I know.....
coolold.gif

If it was made of magnesium, as soon as you got it hot enough from dragging, it would eventually catch fire....and what a fire that would be !!!!!!! VW's used to have magnesium case halves....they'd catch fire also.....ask me how I know.....  
coolold.gif
OK, i'll bite........how do you know? BTW, i've also heard that ounce magnesium(thx for the spelling
face7.gif
) catches fire its very very hard to put out?
dunno.gif

It could be made up of an alloy that has more than just alum. To really know for sure, you need to have a chemical analysis done to it.

It could be made up of an alloy that has more than just alum. To really know for sure, you need to have a chemical analysis done to it.
why would it "have" to be made of more than aluminium? i dont understand your post? The biggest reason why i was wanting know, was because i would like to polish it......and from what i've heard you dont want to mess around with magnesium
dunno.gif

We have a metal lab here at work and the side cases are just plain aluminium with nothing mixed in. Back in the day almost all the import bikes side cases were stamped as being Magnesium thats why many people think that these covers are still made of it. Even those old cases were not pure magnesium like the vw engines were made of which will burn and are hard as hell to put out as they will burn even under water the only good way to douse them is with foam. Those old cases were a aluminum/magnesium mix and like I said will not burn they could be polished just like the aluminum cases can be.

So polish away with no fear of the flames lol

why would it "have" to be made of more than aluminium? i dont understand your post? The biggest reason why i was wanting know, was because i would like to polish it......and from what i've heard you dont want to mess around with magnesium
dunno.gif
What he means is that it's likely an aluminum alloy, as is all aluminum. There's other materials in it. Regardless as the other have said it's aluminum. Plain and simple.

Now Deep breath in.... And release...

And Here's the Wiki on Aluminum. Pretty Good Read.

Yep, you don't want to ignite any magnesium.. I work in the aircraft industry and have safely sanded on mag for several years.... You can sand it- I've had to fabricate many skin panels, engine cowls, etc. for T-38 talons, etc.====== The problem is IF you ever get enough of a spark in the dust, it is a HOT BURNING fire!!!
firedevil.gif
Burns really brilliant white....

But as most everybody else said, you are okay on the clutch cover....polish away my brother!!!

Yeah the case covers aren't made from pure aluminum, but an aluminum alloy very similar to magnesium.

dunno.gif
What he means is that it's likely an aluminum alloy, as is all aluminum.  There's other materials in it.  Regardless as the other have said it's aluminum.  Plain and simple.

Now Deep breath in....  And release...  

And Here's the Wiki on Aluminum.  Pretty Good Read.
Thank you Sir.
thumb_up.gif

Back