Change Oil

Discussion in 'Gen II Busa Information' started by busanewb, Feb 11, 2016.

1. busanewb

busanewb Registered

Contests won:
    I just got my bike dyno tuned. Before the bike went on the dyno I changed the oil to amsoil. Do you think I should change the oil again now that the bike is tuned, or do you think it's fine? I don't run my oil longer than 3000 miles which I had planned to do, but I read a post on here about changing both before and after tuning.

2. nosbig

nosbig Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Shawn
    I personaly would not worry about it.

sixpack577 and piratediverjefff like this.
  3. c10

c10 Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Bryan
    Me either.

piratediverjefff likes this.
  4. smac

smac Donating Member Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Scott
    Just ride! Change it when its due.

5. jch364

jch364 Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    jeff
    a bit of over kill

6. jch364

jch364 Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    jeff
    soooooooooooooooooooooooooo what was the numbers on your tune?

7. Lucid

Lucid Registered

Contests won:
    No way. I can't think of a reason to change it, unless you're a pro racer who rebuilds the engine after every run or two and the tune counts as a run. Then I guess you'd be tuned to have new oil, so you MIGHT want to keep that. But for the everyday rider, no way.

8. ky busa

ky busa Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Garrett
    ride on!

9. RedBull

RedBull Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Red
    Put a drop of oil on clean tissue paper ~ if it pushes the dirt ring out, it's still good . . .

10. sixpack577

sixpack577 Top Gun Registered

Contests won:
    I run a bike harder every day than a dyno ever would.
    So no.

11. busanewb

busanewb Registered

Contests won:
    I was just being paranoid about the oil since we made probably 20 passes on the dyno and Temps did get higher than normal.

Stupid question about oil change... do tall fill your filter up before installing? And did it take a full 4 quarts?

12. Lucid

Lucid Registered

Contests won:
    I lube the rubber seal with new oil, but that's it. I don't fill it. It'll fill within a few seconds of being started.

13. Bailey9r

Bailey9r Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    William Ray
    I fill it so it isn't running on air till it fills, and 3000 miles is just throwing good oil away.

RedBull likes this.
  14. Mike Chambers

Mike Chambers Registered

Contests won:
    Under warranty they usually replace every 6000kms or every service, to check for contaminants (official reason ),although at 25000kms it seems a little overkill to keep dumping it so often,my last 3 gen2 busas have been through this circus .

15. mabupa

mabupa Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Miguel
    I'm curious to know why you spend the extra cash on quality oil to dump at 3k miles anyways? I ask because amsoil is all I put in all my vehicles and it's not cheap!

sixpack577 likes this.
  16. c10

c10 Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Bryan
    I have a dealer friend who has been having Blackstone doing oil tests on his samples @ 5500 miles on a zrx1200R kaw . oil is still good for last 3 samples . he uses amsoil/ filter .

17. mabupa

mabupa Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Miguel
    That's why I asked. I've also sent my oil samples to them to see if I could go 10k miles on their oil and at 5k miles, all they found was that I still had some silicone content in the oil. Bike had only 7k miles or so when I had it tested so, they suggested changing it to get all that silicone from the break in period and testing the next oil. I'm waiting to hit 5k miles on this new oil to send them a sample. The sample kit I sitting on my bench waiting.