Chain making noise

Juggler

Techie Answer Guy
Donating Member
Registered
I recently had my rear tire changed, and since then, whenever I let out the clutch, the chain makes a clicking noise (not constant, just when clutch is released).

I haven't as yet checked the chain for play, but was wondering if it's too tight or too loose.

TIA.

--Juggler

sounds like you have too much slack in the chain and when you pop it in gear the driveline is taking up the slack with a snap....IMHO...

believe it or not even though you have the clutch fully engaged the countershaft sprocket will still rotate after you go from neutral to 1st

Measure the slack on the bottom part of the chain between the engine sprocket and the rear sprocket.  Should be no less than 3/4 in. and no more than 1 1/4 in.  Highest point and the lowest point that you can move the chain = these measurments.
I can move my chain 3/4 in. up and 1/4 in. down which is perfect.

Some times if the chain is too loose, it will slap around on the bottom side and clank up against the slider, frame exhaust.  It's got to be really loose to to that though.  Be careful, I have read some horror stories about Busas snapping chains!

Ride Safe!  :super:

OK, is there a step by step walk through in Maintenance on tightening the chain? I know I need it but I am Skeered of getting my rear end out of whack.. A walkthrough would be hugely helpful. And a real good addition to the Maintenance topic...

Hint, Hint Any takers?

Step 1 - Clean chain and sprockets (don't use a wire brush on an O ring chain)
Step 2 - Remove cotter pin and discard (throw it away and use a new one you cheap SOG)
Step 3 - loosen axle nut
Step 4 - loosen both jam nuts on the chain tensioner bolts (there is one on each side of the swingarm)
Step 5 - Tighten each chain adjuster bolt 1/4 turn each until you wind up with aprox 1" (25mm) of slack. (be sure to tighten them the same amount as too much on one side will point your rear wheel in the wrong direction!)
Step 5a - IMPORTANT - double check the index marks on the end of the swing arm (right behind the axle slider blocks) and make sure you have the same # of marks showing.  This will insure your rear wheel is pointed straight!
Step 6 - Holding the chain tensioner bolt with a wrench (so it doesn’t move) tighten the jam nut.
Step 7 -Tighten the rear axle nut. (It doesn’t have to be gorilla tight, you don't need a 6 foot cheater bar on the end of the wrench, just be sure it is tight!)
Step 8 - Replace the cotter pin (With a new one! Didn't we talk about this earlier?) and bend the legs over.
Step 9 - Rotate the rear wheel while in the air and make sure your chain hasn't stretched unevenly.  If it has you will notice the chain getting tighter and looser as it rotates.  If it is stretched, GET A NEW CHAIN & SPROCKETS!!! If it is OK, go to step 10
Step 10 - Lubricate the (clean) chain with your choice of lubricant.  (You know, that's the main cause of marital, uh mechanical failures, lack of lubrication!)
Step 11 - RIDE!

P.S. Did I forget anything?

It is not necessary to lift the bike off of the ground first.  It will actually be easier to loosen and tighten the axle nut with the rear wheel on the ground.  Just make sure the # of index marks showing are the same.

Cool, But uh...Where the pics at? :D Kidding Thanks a lot.

be aware that most Zooks especially GSXR's and some other bikes, have a nasty little quirk . You set the chain to the right height , tighten the axel nut nut , and find you dont have the slack you used too. So, take this into account when adjus. the chain . Leave an inch and a half, or 3/4 , every bike is different . You'll soon have mastered the art. Also ,the bike can be on the side stand or on rear stands , both compress the suspension , it just cant be on the center stand (if applicable) . And....buy a torque wrench . It's way easier than guessing , and speeds up the process .

And for you paranoid REV...those marks on the sides of the swingarm CAN BE LESS than accurate....

have a good 1.....RSD.

no, but it could be. I was too lazy to make my own avatar, so I used this one I found on the net. :^)

Get it on a rear stand. Check allignment before you tighten anything. Turn the wheel and watch the chain to make sure it is not riding up on the side of the sprocket. Then follow the steps above to correct the issue.

Later,

Steve

Back