Chain maintenance

I'm hearing a lot about waxing chains.  I just read an article where they recommend a lubricant specifically for o-ring chains; and they mentioned wax tends to harden and flake off or get slung off.
Really
wink.gif
, after years and years of use and over 100,000 + miles at least, I've never noticed that. And I have gotten as much as 20,000 miles out of a chain  
rock.gif

I'm definitely no expert.  I'm a "learner" here.  SO, take what i say with a grain of salt.

I believe it was in a "motorcyclist" magazine I read about the wax.  I think it was an interview with somebody who sells PJ's chain lube
rock.gif
.  I am really after opinions on which method or products are considered acceptable. The cycle shop I bought the PJ's from said they sell a lot of it.  
biggrin.gif

What I'm interested in hearing is what people think of the school of thought to use specialized chain lube made specifically for motorcycle chains instead of wax.  Any thoughts?

ndn

this kind of subjects make a group splits half in no time...wax or lube, its your choice, but it is hell of a cleanning to do if you uses a lube, thats for sure...
biggrin.gif

Is it OK to change from wax to Lube (like PJ's) and back?

I had a new can of PJ's so I used it this weekend. I haven't noticed it being that hard to clean off from one cleaning to the next.

Is there a particular brand of chain wax the group here uses most?

ndn

Is it OK to  change from wax to Lube (like PJ's) and back?

I had a new can of PJ's so I used it this weekend.  I haven't noticed it being that hard to clean off from one cleaning to the next.

Is there a particular brand of chain wax the group here uses most?

ndn
As long as your cleaning your chain you can switch to whatever you want. Find the brand you like the best.
You mention "Lube specifically made for motorcycles" alot. You got to remeber all wax and lube in dealerships are made "specifically" for motorcycles. Personaly I use wax I thin kit makes less of a mess. However I got some wax from my local suzuki dealership. The messiest thing ever. I used it four times and threw the rest of the can away. Like I said find what works for you.

Welcome to the board. I use to oil mine about every other week. Like Wag I would also do it after a ride when it was warm. This way the oil gets in the links and doesn't fling off as much as it would if you oil and then go right out and ride.

ok fantastic info on the wax concept..and when you guys clean are you cleaning it while on the bike or pull the chain off and soak it...i was never one that maintained the chain often enough and it showed with new chains and new sprockets yearly....bout time i learn the right way eh?

I'm hearing a lot about waxing chains.  I just read an article where they recommend a lubricant specifically for o-ring chains; and they mentioned wax tends to harden and flake off or get slung off.

I've been using PJ's blue label (sticky stuff) on my old bike.  Never had a problem.  I also use WD40 to wipe it down and clean it first then I apply the PJ's.

Anybody got thoughts on this method instead of waxing?

Very interested in input from Busa's owners.  Its time to clean mine for the first time (250miles).

thanks
ndn
PJ's is a big seller in WI at the dirt shops. For the Busa, though, I use the Silkolene wax.

Silkolene ... this is what I was hoping for; a brand name for the wax you guys (or some of you) use on your busa chains.

I'll look into it.  If you clean the chain good, does any one know if its OK to go from PJ's lube to a chain wax??

I've got a clean chain too but my camera's not working.  

Oh, one guy asked if people take their chain off to clean it.  I don't.  Does anyone actually remove the chain from the bike and clean it?  If it was easy I would (I always took my chain off my racing bicycle many years ago but then ... that was simple ... removing a chain from a motorcycle isn't ... I don't think).

thanks
ndn

??

Does anyone have any input on how they clean/lube/wax their chains? Do you do it on the bike or do you take the chain off the bike?

My gut feel is most everyone does it on the bike by putting it up on a rear wheel stand so you can turn the wheel to rotate the chain as you clean it.

??
ndn

Back
Top Bottom