Carrying camping stuff

TommyGunn1300

Registered
I have a 3k mile ride coming up and I'm trying to get stuff together. To save on hotels I want to camp every other night. I know a lot of guys on here ride and camp, where do you keep a sleeping bag and tent? How do you strap it? I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money to make it work. I also don't want to kill the looks of the bike by stacking stuff 10ft high on the back. lol

I guess what I'm looking for is a tent and sleeping bag that will pack into a VERY small space. Luggage wise, I'm just throwing some stuff in a backpack and strapping it to the back seat.

Never been much for tenting,

but I respect those who do.

Hopefully someone will have some ideas for you, I've also seen rack mounts on some of the busa's here.

Good luck on your venture!

Haha. No way I'm pulling a trailer. I'll leave that to the Harley guys. lol. I don't mind camping every other night or so. I actually kind of like it as long as it's not cold or hot and there's good places to eat nearby. I hate carrying bunch of stuff. Normally If it doesn't fit in my backpack, it doesn't go.

Have you thought of a hammock? Packs to the size of a gatorade bottle.

look at backpacking gear, it usually costs a bit more but is worth it when space and weight are at a premium

Hennessy hammocks.. :D

explorerdeluxe2.jpg

My wife and I bought a bivy tent when we went on vacation one year. Camped 3 nights on the way and stayed in a motel 2 nights coming back. It's a backpacking tent and rolls up about the size of a loaf of bread. It went up and came down quick too. It rained on us 2 of the 3 nights and we stayed nice and dry. Didn't have a Busa back then, it was a 2000 Suzuki Intruder 800. We used that tent on several weekend bike trips too.

You can probably find single person versions that pack even smaller if it's just you.

Cabelas sells a hammock that is enclosed with it's own little tent...as long as you have trees, or structures to hook onto... very nice.

If you are on a Budget i used a Seabag/Deployment bag i got from a local Military surplus. Fits a single person tent, self inflating mat, sleeping bag, and my fold up chair. flop it across the back of the busa and tie down. I also use some saddle bags and a tank bag. Works well. Can carry 5 days worth of tightly packed clothes and the basics for emergency.

Setup camping.jpg

Riding with a passenger and camping gear just no fun at all! Not wanting to be un comfortable nor leave my good lady behind l sat down and built this trailer. A couple of years in the making tweaks here and there has resulted with this.
We now carry a 3 man stand up tent, a double blow up airbed 3 seasons sleeping bags cooker chairs at Busa speeds. Agree it don't seem right, but believe me when we pull up at a camp, race meeting or rally its so funny to see the looks on folks faces.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to winter camp, personally.

Heres my two week pac mule set packed,ready to go and no hotels or resorts.

05.jpg

First time testing everything for cold weather camping in my backyard. Temps got below 30 degrees and was very comfortable.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Gear list includes, -20 down filled sleeping bag,ultra lite sleeping cot ,exped down 9 air mattress, tri fuel coleman camp stove and fuel, flash light lantern, clothing for three days, freeze dried food for 5 days, 30' extension cord, camera, two battery chargers ( one for double A's and other for lantern), hammer, kermit chair,stainless steel bowl, pot, and skillet, collapsible cooler, hot water bottle (deuce bag), sandals, expandable fork, spoon, and spatula, spare batteries for electronics. There more!!!!! Tooth paste,baby powder,soap, lotion,asprin,dental floss, neosporan, band aids, tooth brush, deodorant, insulated water back pack.

For those curious minds, the Exped venus III tent is store into the cooler and then strap onto the rear seat of the bike.

Back