Cam Degree..

jnegron

Registered
Took the bike out to the track a 1397, 12:1 comp, '02 busa. 395/385 cams with ported head...well did several passes and the bike won't seem to go over 144 mph...9.30 at 144 mph, 1.51 60ft. , another 9.45 at 142 mph 1.55 60 ft, and other ones very similar foot shifted....16/43 gearing..I suspected the degree on the cams and measured them myself....found 108 intake and 103.5 exhaust, the cams are BDEIN 031 and BDEEX 041, as per the cam cards the lobe center are 104 and 100 my question is what is a good starting point to set the cams at?? Also took the head appart and the valves were not sitting right, already fixed...I'll be racing the same guy who put it together on the 5th of june...???
Just have a few more track days to get it right and doing the work myself with minimal track expirience...any advice??

you need more compression and better numbers.
who ever ported the head should have matched with the cams and gave you some numbers

Thanks Johnny! That's the problem I bought the head and cams separetly, I'll go ahead and flw test the head with the cams...that'll be the next step and see what numbers I get...I'm taking the base gasket off and probably going to a .018 gasket my concern is that the head is .010 milled already...well is a little over my engine building knowledge...got to learn somehow...man I wish I was in Texas....:bowdown: Oh! and the guy who put it together told me 104 in 108 ex...and they are 108in 104Ex...
Thanks
Jose

Adjusted the cams to 102.5/102 ran 9.24 at 148mph 1.41 on the 60....went back and set the cams at 104.7 and 103...taking it to the dyno and then the track....oh! 225 on the comp. test in all cylinders it was down to 200....

As already noted , it's too much cam . Anytime there's not enough compression , less cam is needed and weight of rider and bike compounds the problem. These cams might make for a good 1507 street cam set for general all round purposes but changing lobe centerlines around right now is a bandaid on what could be several problems.

148mph <could> be ran with std bore Yoshcams type deal - just for general comparison. Long term you might think about a 5mm crank or really tightening up the deck clearance if those are Wiseco 12-1's and using a lower duration cam set with the 1397. Dependent on if it's a pump gas street bike raced on weekends - rider weight ect.

It's the internet where always more info is needed before being able to find the best compromise for better end results.

Thanks for the input mountain motor! After all that, I got some more info on the cams they are .386 lift/.388 ex. lobes centers 104/100, I played with the degree and got them close to 108/109 ishh...ran 9.11 at 148 still not 150....I got some room and I'll be removing the base gasket .012 less, got a new hook up and set the cams to 107/109. For the cost of new pistons this would do, trying to break the 8's on foot, pump gas all motor....and I'll be happy ,bike pulled 206hp and 119tq before...I'll keep posting the results...

Back