Buying your bike on the internet ??

MR Felt

Registered
As Busa Fever has me constantly looking at Cycle Trader
and Ebay judging market prices around the country ect.
There are two categories of sellers, dealers and private
sellers. As I read descriptions there are some adds
that you feel are the more accurate. If withing 400 miles

I'd just go pick it up.That being said,after having a conversation with the seller and making
a decision to buy. How would you execute a transaction
with either type of seller? What about a long distance sale and having it shipped? After checking the BBB records
buying from a dealer sounds safer, at least you can track them down if you get screwed ( kill everyone in the building ect.) ( screwed = deliberate dishonesty ).
Someone would always be there to load the bike on the truck. As far as a private seller, is there a way for a third party to broker the deal ( local dealer ect?)?
What about titles, registration, paperwork ect.)
These are just initial thoughts. Add whatever info, experiences, you think are pertinent.
Joel

dude!! what's the question? it sounds like u have everything planned out!! I found mine in Craigslist in denver bout 10hrs away... it was stressing but it worked out in my case. not everyone is that lucky
Posted via Mobile Device

The best deal is always the one that fits YOUR needs.... Be it best price, location, condition of bike, etc. So, I'd take a few minutes to figure out what it is your looking for in your next purchase and plan what sacrifices your prepared to make. Now with that being said I've bought most of the last seven bikes I've owned off the net and with some careful planning you can too. Things to consider...
First and foremost, KNOW your bike, top to bottom, or I promise you'll make mistakes.
Make sure and do a vehicle check, always better to be safe then sorry.
When buying from an individual especially when there out of state or your immediate vicinity make sure you know who your dealing with. I start with requesting pictures of the bike and the local paper next to it together in one photo! Possession is important... Most scam artist don't have the vehicle in question so they almost always feed you a line of BS when requesting this. Post up here on the site if you need a volunteer to scout a ride out for you. Lots of knowledge here and an even better network of eager beavers scattered across the states just waiting to lend a hand....

The best deal is always the one that fits YOUR needs.... Be it best price, location, condition of bike, etc. So, I'd take a few minutes to figure out what it is your looking for in your next purchase and plan what sacrifices your prepared to make. Now with that being said I've bought most of the last seven bikes I've owned off the net and with some careful planning you can too. Things to consider...
First and foremost, KNOW your bike, top to bottom, or I promise you'll make mistakes.
Make sure and do a vehicle check, always better to be safe then sorry.
When buying from an individual especially when there out of state or your immediate vicinity make sure you know who your dealing with. I start with requesting pictures of the bike and the local paper next to it together in one photo! Possession is important... Most scam artist don't have the vehicle in question so they almost always feed you a line of BS when requesting this. Post up here on the site if you need a volunteer to scout a ride out for you. Lots of knowledge here and an even better network of eager beavers scattered across the states just waiting to lend a hand....

I had some thoughts along that line, Wanting the seller
to give me verifiable information on who he is and where he lives.
Does the local Suzuki dealer know him and will they vouch for him and the machine? Pics of the currant
USA Today with him and the bike, absolutely.
The other issue is me giving the guy $6-7000 and trusting
someone to be there when the truck shows up to pick it up.
As far as know the machine, I've been working on that each day as I read everything I can on the Busa Boards.
I'm two months away from executing this process. Sell
the FZ1, liquidate some other hobby items ( tell the wife)
then we start the buying process.

Actually, most dealerships will let the seller ship from them and they will hold the money till the buyer receives and okays the bike. They do charge a small fee, but it isnt much.

IMO whether buying from a dealer or private seller take someone with you that knows bikes, that can tell if the bike has been well maintained,and/or dropped. Run the V.I.D. with the LEO an if possible run the confidential s on the engine casing. Dealers have received bikes as trade in's that have had the #'s on the engine casing scratched off an they then resell the bike. Check the #'s on chassis carefully re stamping is hard to spot but possible. Dealing with a private seller if title is not in hand money wouldn't change hands, go to the tag agency an do the transfer. This stuff is hard or impossible to do if shopping over the internet so good luck. I would only by a used bike that i can see an touch an has paperwork on site.:beerchug:

Back