Buying Used?

If you are considering a Gen1 get an '03 or later as by '03 Suzuki had fixed the bendy aluminum sub frame, the clogging fuel filters, the cam chain problems and the starter gear issues. The '03 and later also have the 32 bit upgraded ECU.

Here's a list;

From Suzuki + Haynes manuals:

1999 (GSX1300R-X) - 1st model year.

2000 (GSX1300R-Y):
- Crankcase breather arrangement changed - no oil catch tank + larger breather housing; resulting in a smaller oil capacity.
-Clutch spring length + spring support bolt length increased.
- Fuel feed + return hoses changed + re-routed. Design of fuel level sensor + low level warning switch changed.

2001 (GSX1300R-K1):
- Cam chain tensioner design changed along with its housing to allow reception of oil from the front passage in the crankcase.
- Fuel pump moved inside the tank, incorporating the fuel filter and pressure regulator as well as a mesh strainer and a new fuel level sensor and low level warning switch. Having the pressure regulator inside the tank eliminated the need of the fuel return hose from the delivery rail on the throttle bodies, with the consequence being that the supply hose and fuel delivery rail arrangement was changed.

2002 (GSX1300R-K2):
- Clutch plate arrangement modified to incorporate an anti-rattle spring and spring seat. Clutch release cylinder piston and bore were reduced in diameter.
- Exhaust system incorporates an oxygen sensor which communicated with the ECM to reduce emission levels. To do this, the PAIR system control valve is triggered by a solenoid that is controlled by the ECM.

2003 (GSX1300R-K3):
- Incorporated a torque limiter on the motor idle/reduction gear train to dampen initial torque and reduce stress on individual components.

2004 (GSX1300R-K4):
- No significant changes.

2005 (GSX1300R-K5):
- Headlight electronically turned off during engine start to reduce battery load.
- First year of clear plastic front turn signals.

2006 (GSX1300R-K6):

cheers
ken

I get groceries on my bird too ! Even when its 22 degrees I venture out , and coffee or bread go in the trash can mod . My wife , and I own a very nice Tahoe n Hyundai Elantra GT . Neither move our soles like the bikes .

20161222_165210_HDR_zpsltttj8lq.jpg

20161222_164945_HDR_zpspktnyltg.jpg

20170107_084238_HDR_zpsgp91er9f.jpg

If you are considering a Gen1 get an '03 or later as by '03 Suzuki had fixed the bendy aluminum sub frame, the clogging fuel filters, the cam chain problems and the starter gear issues. The '03 and later also have the 32 bit upgraded ECU.

Here's a list;

From Suzuki + Haynes manuals:

1999 (GSX1300R-X) - 1st model year.

2000 (GSX1300R-Y):
- Crankcase breather arrangement changed - no oil catch tank + larger breather housing; resulting in a smaller oil capacity.
-Clutch spring length + spring support bolt length increased.
- Fuel feed + return hoses changed + re-routed. Design of fuel level sensor + low level warning switch changed.

2001 (GSX1300R-K1):
- Cam chain tensioner design changed along with its housing to allow reception of oil from the front passage in the crankcase.
- Fuel pump moved inside the tank, incorporating the fuel filter and pressure regulator as well as a mesh strainer and a new fuel level sensor and low level warning switch. Having the pressure regulator inside the tank eliminated the need of the fuel return hose from the delivery rail on the throttle bodies, with the consequence being that the supply hose and fuel delivery rail arrangement was changed.

2002 (GSX1300R-K2):
- Clutch plate arrangement modified to incorporate an anti-rattle spring and spring seat. Clutch release cylinder piston and bore were reduced in diameter.
- Exhaust system incorporates an oxygen sensor which communicated with the ECM to reduce emission levels. To do this, the PAIR system control valve is triggered by a solenoid that is controlled by the ECM.

2003 (GSX1300R-K3):
- Incorporated a torque limiter on the motor idle/reduction gear train to dampen initial torque and reduce stress on individual components.

2004 (GSX1300R-K4):

2005 (GSX1300R-K5):
- Headlight electronically turned off during engine start to reduce battery load.
- First year of clear plastic front turn signals.

2006 (GSX1300R-K6):

cheers
ken
Good info.... Thanks...

I wouldn't be afraid to buy a Gen I .

Mine has never been back to a dealer and I have just had to do normal maintenance plus some mods of course.
I don't mind the look if my Gen I either.
My Gen I runs so well that I won't upgrade or even think about it until a Gen III comes out - but I'm not holding my breathe,
so for now I'll keep what I got. Besides I like Red.

View attachment 1571716

Beautiful Gen1! The very first Busa I saw up close and personal was a 2005 red/black, ridden by Spudely(member of the oRg.). A friend of mine had just bought his first bike, a 2006 GSXR750, and Spud came by to change his oil for him. He rolled up on the Busa with his big tank bag full of tools, and the Busa shining from top to bottom! He was full of information and advise; it was then I knew I wanted to pilot a Busa one day too! At the time I was on a Katana(great bike for it's intended purpose IMO), but soon I would purchase my 2007 vigor blue. I have a 2008 Gen2 now, due to my Gen1 being totaled, but I loved my Gen1 and actually miss it sometimes!

QUOTE="RedBusarider, post: 3204393, member: 15002"]Lucky me. :banana:

I can put my helmet, jacket, gloves, radar detector etc in the suitcase when I go in a store to do grocery shopping.
When I come out I can put the groceries in the suitcase and suit up again for the ride home.

How many of you can get groceries on your Busa? :beerchug::race:[/QUOTE]

You got me out of the woodworks with this post :beerchug: ride on.... olajoe808 here. Don't own a busa, came real close to getting a gen I and more recently a brand new one but got cold feet with just a pen stroke away from delivery. Anyhow, my first bike was a suzuki rm50 that in the holds of my older brother was an absolute terror some 35 years ago. I'm kawasaki now, but have a lasting impression for suzuki. Your enthusiasm is very inspiring. I'm like this too, but I don't have the storage capacity so very limited to what can be carried. Heading back to the woodworks now, have a good one.

Last edited:
So after using the search feature and watching a bunch of youtube I did all the serving myseof.
Not so bad, pulling the plastics, changing the oil and filter. Cleaned out the air filter.
This bike is soooooooo fast.... Woo Hoo

Back