buying a bike off ebay?

bdropped

Registered
i was going to try to get one off ebay hopeing to get a good deal. but what is with the bikes like this one doesnt seem right as far as the price. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50030&item=2489654107&rd=1

oh ya, that bike was in SUPER STREETBIKE magazine & it was cost over 20000$. do you think the owner is stupid to sell it for only 3000$
biggrin.gif

Use the advanced search function to narrow down results within so many miles of your zip code. You can then check the bike out before bidding on it and pay for it in person. That's the only safe way to do an ebay transaction for something big like a bike or car.

It's also not difficult to figure out which bikes are scams and which aren't. First off, anyone who thinks they can get a mint custom Busa for $3800 is a blithering idiot firing on half a stem cell for a brain. Another clue is the pre-approved bidders list in which you have to email the seller to get on, if you see that it's automatically a SCAM. After contacting the seller you get the typical line of how the bike is in another country (relative died) but he'll ship it to you free of charge.
Hard to believe anybody could be stupid enough to fall for it at that point but it must be working because there are so many of the scams up at any given moment.
The stupidity really is out there too! All those accounts the scammers are using are hijacked from legitimate users. Those legit users were stupid enough to fall for fake ebay emails asking for account passwords and credit card info.
Since there are so many hijacked ebay accounts I'd imagine there are just as many tards sending out $3500 to $4500 on the Busa deal of a lifetime!

well i pretty much new that one was a scam but just wanted a general idea of what i should do to buy off there.

When you find one you believe is for real, ask the seller to take a picture of the bike with his/her local paper (current date) in front of it and have it sent to you! Next, get a phone number associated with the name of the seller, that you can look up online (using the likes of www.anywho.com, etc...) This information should also match the address given to you.... Reputable sellers won't mind providing this info. No cell phone numbers, unless this is just used as a secondary means of reaching the seller. Never wire money!!!! Finally get a vin # this info should also match the sellers info.

Don't be afraid to contact the sellers bank (if the bike has a lien)...

i was going to try to get one off ebay hopeing to get a good deal. but what is with the bikes like this one doesnt seem right as far as the price.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50030&item=2489654107&rd=1
No, ebay is great if you use it right.

Here, buy my bike from me.

I have bought things off ebay. I always go get the item. I always pay in cash at time of pick up. If a seller won t let me look at it at my expense, and except cash..then something is wrong.

Going and getting it is half the fun. I have some good stories.

I sold my gsxr 1100 on ebay and used tghe money from that plus my own, to buy ny busa off of ebay!!
cool.gif
You just have to be very careful.

Turbo-Torch is exactly right.......Although, I get the same kinda deals and better without needing to use scammer's heavens like E-Bay. A little shopping and maybe a willingness to drive a bit is all I've ever needed. Remember people sell on E-Bay hoping to get MORE money than they might selling other ways...not less
wink.gif
But if you do buy a bike off of there...use Turbo-Torches suggestions for sure
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|The Big Red One
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095465558 -->

wink.gif

well, I just bought a busa the other day from ebay, but its an actual dealer ship that sells cars on their lot and ebay. gotta be careful

I SAW MY BIKE ON EBAY THEN CONTACTED THE SELLER. HE ALSO HAD IT IN CYCLETRADER. WENT UP AND SAW THE BIKE THEN BOUGHT IT.. BEST WAY TO GO
BTW ... I DROVE 3HRS TO SEE THE BIKE.. GOOD LUCK

I don't get it.....everybody seems to be able to find a ton of obvious scams (ie $3000 like new Busa's) at any given moment on E-Bay...yet nothing's done to stop it?!? Thats truly pathetic. So I guess on E-Bay its alright to defraud folks cause' its.....uh.......E-Bay?.....lol sad indeed. I guess P.T. Barnum was right...there is a sucker born every minute
tounge.gif
......here sucker sucker
laugh.gif

one of the main tell-tale signs that it is a scam is the lack of a VIN number in the top part of the screen where it gives all of the infor about a bike. If the VIN number section is left blank, I just hit the back button. There is no reason a valid seller would have a problem supplying all the info for a potential buyer.

Back