Busa vs. ZX-14

I've ridden both and the zx14 feels like a stretched zx10 with softer suspension...you sit more ON the bike than IN it.
The zx has better brakes, the engine feels numb and the sound is bland..handling is sharper but less stable so whilst its capable of being faster than the Busa I just can't feel at one with it...high speed sweeping bends and day-day use for me are much nicer on the Busa.
Owned the old zx14 and in many ways it put me off the new model whereas my 2 old gen 1 Busa's encouraged my to return to the name.
Busa for me is the BEST jack of all trades bike on the market..........super fast, comfy, easy to ride and cooler to own and if a gen 3 ever happens I'll be at the dealers door.

I still don't understand why everyone complains about the brakes? I have never had a problem with the BUSA brakes and think they are just fine with lines/pad change. Both could be better but on a stock bike they are fine IMO...

I have done the line and pads are they improved it but not to my liking. I don't like the play in the lever before the brakes start to grab. I have ridden my buddys 03 r1 and I have a 06 gsxr 1000. I love both those masters because as soon as you start grabbing the lever the brakes are right there. I agree with you that the brakes are good but I don't like that little bit of play.

When I 1st had my busa I absolutely hated the stock braking system :banghead: I actually thought something was wrong with my bike until I got on the forums and seen it was a common trait. A couple hundred $$ later worth of mods I stop on a dime..... problem solved :whistle:

I've ridden both and the zx14 feels like a stretched zx10 with softer suspension...you sit more ON the bike than IN it.
The zx has better brakes, the engine feels numb and the sound is bland..handling is sharper but less stable so whilst its capable of being faster than the Busa I just can't feel at one with it...high speed sweeping bends and day-day use for me are much nicer on the Busa.
Owned the old zx14 and in many ways it put me off the new model whereas my 2 old gen 1 Busa's encouraged my to return to the name.
Busa for me is the BEST jack of all trades bike on the market..........super fast, comfy, easy to ride and cooler to own and if a gen 3 ever happens I'll be at the dealers door.

Have you ridden a 2012 or newer ZX-14R? I can only compare Gen II Busa against Gen II Ninja... That said, my fat Kaw is the most stable machine I've ever ridden at high speed, especially considering they don't even come with a steering stabilizer from the factory. The Busa is definitely a more lively ride and is a little less predictable, where the Ninja is more refined overall and better planted in the twisties. The slightly wider bars and larger seat make the Ninja feel like a bigger bike, but the wheelbase is exactly the same as a Busa, and the weights are only a few pounds apart. You definitely sit more "in" the Busa than the Ninja. I feel like both bikes were designed to do the same job, but the Busa is a little more sport oriented, and the Ninja is a little more sport touring oriented. Both are great bikes and fast as heck, just slightly different.

I must agree, better seat on the kawi, better brakes and quite a bit smoother and faster. After some suspension adjustments a set of Q3s the kawi handles GREAT! Still, the Busa feels snappier and definately sounds better (pipe and tune) but both are great bikes. Just a little more upright on the Kawi.

RIMG0035.jpg

A pic of the new wheels and Q3s.

I'm still on the Q2 with mine, but anything would have been an improvement over the stock Metzelers. Those tires were complete and total crap.

I have done the line and pads are they improved it but not to my liking. I don't like the play in the lever before the brakes start to grab. I have ridden my buddys 03 r1 and I have a 06 gsxr 1000. I love both those masters because as soon as you start grabbing the lever the brakes are right there. I agree with you that the brakes are good but I don't like that little bit of play.

Play in the lever? What year is your bike? I don't have any play in my brakes, I wonder if you have air in the lines...

Play in the lever? What year is your bike? I don't have any play in my brakes, I wonder if you have air in the lines...

2001 with 32,000 miles. I have tried bleeding the brakes 3-4 times with no improvement. I have only ridden one other busa and that one also had the little bit of play. Figured it was just a busa thing. Other than that I like the brakes on the bike.

In the UK we've had the new ZX14 for about 18 months and get the boring Black or Green....Kawasaki think those are the only colours we like.
Other reason i prefer the Busa is self servicing ability.....doing anything on the ZX is like open heart surgery..far too much in the way to even do the plugs easily.
Either way owners will have there own reasons for choosing each bike and for me the Hyper class of bike is very under-rated and hopefully these 2 will keep the battle going for a good number of years to come since there will always be riders like us who want them.

The seating position is worse on the 14, but the kawy is light years ahead of the dated busa.

In the design department the 14R is so fuggin ugly its a joke.

The busa needs an update to motor and full electronics including traction control abs, etc. The new 14r will leave the busa for dead.

Still, without a facelift I wouldnt own one...

BB

i notice that the new zx 14 is much heavier than the busa aswell i dont want to brag in a straight line dead standard it is a bit faster but on the road IT does just not match up to the king of thee road HAYABUSA

2001 with 32,000 miles. I have tried bleeding the brakes 3-4 times with no improvement. I have only ridden one other busa and that one also had the little bit of play. Figured it was just a busa thing. Other than that I like the brakes on the bike.

I'd get that looked at closer, something isn't right. I've had a 2001, 2003, and 2008 and never any issues like that...

i notice that the new zx 14 is much heavier than the busa aswell i dont want to brag in a straight line dead standard it is a bit faster but on the road IT does just not match up to the king of thee road HAYABUSA

I'm not sure I would use "much heavier" to describe a difference of 4.9 lbs. That's comparing a 2013 Busa with an ABS equipped 2013 ZX-14R. The non-ABS ZX-14R is actually 1.7 lbs lighter than the Busa.

I'm never going to be a Kawasaki fanboy, but it seems there are many misconceptions about the differences between these two bikes. I do believe in keeping the facts straight.

I looked at the ZX-14 when I bought my Hayabusa. Maybe it was the green scheme, but I thought it was UGLY! The blue ones aren't so bad, but something about the rear section of it just doesn't do it for me. Suzuki needs to hurry up and update the Hayabusa, because it's looking a bit dated by comparison.

I'm not sure I would use "much heavier" to describe a difference of 4.9 lbs. That's comparing a 2013 Busa with an ABS equipped 2013 ZX-14R. The non-ABS ZX-14R is actually 1.7 lbs lighter than the Busa.

I'm never going to be a Kawasaki fanboy, but it seems there are many misconceptions about the differences between these two bikes. I do believe in keeping the facts straight.

+1000 on keeping the facts straight..

Yesterday, I went to look at helmets, and saw an all-black ZX-14 in the parking lot. Definitely a sharp bike. Think next spring is the time to upgrade to a Gen 2 or the 14.

Go down to your local drag strip and see what the serious racer's choice of drag bike is... all day long... by a vast majority......It's a Busa.

Back