Busa Revival

DiosBusa

Registered
Hi guys,

I've been a member on here for a while, but I've never been active, the last time I had a Busa was about 2 years ago, it was an 09.
I didn't vibe with that particular bike and sold it off.

I've now bought this lil gem, an 06, from an auction.
A visual inspection would lead you to believe that the bike was hit from behind by a car. The wheel and rear subframe is jacked.

First thing would be to visually inspect every aspect of this bike and make sure the main components i,e engine and chassis, are ok.

I know I need a new wheel and a swingarm. First question is would a Gen-II swingarm and wheel fit a Gen1?

So what's the endgame? Haven't decided yet, I'm open to ideas.

IMG_20200922_192550.jpg

IMG_20200922_193047.jpg

IMG_20200922_192539.jpg

IMG_20200922_192523.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to work on the bike a little bit, decided to remove the rear end as it was in the way of getting the bike on a stand.

The rear subframe looks like it took a few hits already or it may be shitty factory welding. Can't tell yet.

Either way, she's already looking lighter.

IMG_20200922_193047 (1).jpg

IMG_20200922_193053.jpg

IMG_20200922_193110.jpg

IMG_20200922_193732.jpg

If the '09 didn't blend with you, what struck you about this one? What year is this bike? Does the motor run? Lots of questions to be answered. Hope it all works out. This will be a true revival!

If the '09 didn't blend with you, what struck you about this one? What year is this bike? Does the motor run? Lots of questions to be answered. Hope it all works out. This will be a true revival!

He mentioned it is an '06....

Congrats on the new toy.

It looks to be a real project to undertake, can't see why a gen 2 wouldn't fit.

At least there is a huge aftermarket for this bike.

Psshh...who needs a back end? Just pull it off and slap a seat over the battery...save tons of weight! :cool:
I believe a Gen2 swing arm and wheel would fit under a gen 1 tail...have you thought about doing the gsxr1000 tail instead?

I hope you like a project and that you have done the math on buying a decent low-mid mile Gen I vs....that. The parts list is huge. Did parts get robbed off it while it was in the tow yard? Like where's the ECU? That thing got thumped...IDK man. Like was it 500 bucks or something?
Where I live you have to declare when a bike has been written off to a prospective new owner...its get a salvage title attached to it that never goes away. Good luck,hope the frame is not tweaked.
Depending on what you paid,I would consider jumping ship and re-coup my money parting it out.
Good luck with it,
Rubb.

The 09 had the wrong setup wrong for me, the previous owner was short and overall, the ride was just not what I was into at that point of time. I was going through a phase :)This is an 06, the motor runs, at least that's what it said in the auction.

Psshh...who needs a back end? Just pull it off and slap a seat over the battery...save tons of weight! :cool:
I believe a Gen2 swing arm and wheel would fit under a gen 1 tail...have you thought about doing the gsxr1000 tail instead?
lol, exactly. Honestly, I intend to tear the bike down first and then figure out what she should turn into.
The 1000 tail conversion is interesting, saw a member post a thread about it recently,not sure if it works for the bike.

I hope you like a project and that you have done the math on buying a decent low-mid mile Gen I vs....that. The parts list is huge. Did parts get robbed off it while it was in the tow yard? Like where's the ECU? That thing got thumped...IDK man. Like was it 500 bucks or something?
Where I live you have to declare when a bike has been written off to a prospective new owner...its get a salvage title attached to it that never goes away. Good luck,hope the frame is not tweaked.
Depending on what you paid,I would consider jumping ship and re-coup my money parting it out.
Good luck with it,
Rubb.
Well, to be honest, there was no math involved , I saw what I thought was a good deal and jumped at it. I wouldn't get a working Busa for this price though.
If the wiring in the tail is anything to go by; this bike had a bit of a rough life, spliced wires etc and that's just at the tail.
The ecu is there, I'll be tearing the fairings apart today.
Things do look dodgy for sure. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity , what do you pay for a wrecked '06 Busa?

If motor runs, why not source parts you need off ebay, rebuild and then source a plastics kit, you'd have a brand new looking bike. Good luck tinkering.

If motor runs, why not source parts you need off ebay, rebuild and then source a plastics kit, you'd have a brand new looking bike. Good luck tinkering.
What Tim said ^ .The Busa motor is bullet proof as we all know. If I buy a wrecked bike I do a compression test,but yours was bought at auction where usually a visual is all you get and maybe the op to start it up. I would get it running first before spending a nickle. It may burn oil,have low comp. etc.
The parts list will be long. There are a few things that can be saved in the whole a$$ end. The rear brake caliper,the Arashi rotor (maybe) and the lock,cable and hump attachment,the inner fender/battery tray,the reg/rec,all else is toast.Its missing one "Frankenstein bolt"...ever price a set of those? Ouch. Personally myself, I would not have jumped at this one. An' impact hard enough to snap off both rear peg/exhaust hangers had to be big.
I would question the frame. Not trying to poo poo on yer parade,just being a realist. Tim mentioned you'd have a new "looking" Busa...but at what cost. Chinese plastics are krap for the most part...OEM will cost you huge. That fuel tank is gonna take alot of bondo,a replacement tank is huge dough.
Your pics show alot of rust. This bike has been exposed to the elements for a long time.
Step 1,get it running. Step 2,question the frame.
Rubb.

Well this is hardly the standard scenario but what I paid was in the range of 500 -600USD not including auction fees etc.

What Tim said ^ .The Busa motor is bullet proof as we all know. If I buy a wrecked bike I do a compression test,but yours was bought at auction where usually a visual is all you get and maybe the op to start it up. I would get it running first before spending a nickle. It may burn oil,have low comp. etc.
The parts list will be long. There are a few things that can be saved in the whole a$$ end. The rear brake caliper,the Arashi rotor (maybe) and the lock,cable and hump attachment,the inner fender/battery tray,the reg/rec,all else is toast.Its missing one "Frankenstein bolt"...ever price a set of those? Ouch. Personally myself, I would not have jumped at this one. An' impact hard enough to snap off both rear peg/exhaust hangers had to be big.
I would question the frame. Not trying to poo poo on yer parade,just being a realist. Tim mentioned you'd have a new "looking" Busa...but at what cost. Chinese plastics are krap for the most part...OEM will cost you huge. That fuel tank is gonna take alot of bondo,a replacement tank is huge dough.
Your pics show alot of rust. This bike has been exposed to the elements for a long time.
Step 1,get it running. Step 2,question the frame.
Rubb.
I know it looks bad and since it's 2020; it probably is. They had a picture of the dash with the bike switched on so I know it runs.

Outside of that, yea sourcing parts is going to be difficult, but Hayabusa's are very popular where I'm at, plenty of spares are held by private breakers. The rust is mostly from being in the yard, nothing too serious.
The the frame,as is now, is almost impossible to inspect completely, I'd need to unmount engine etc to look at the insides, but I have a feeling the frame is alright.

Back