Busa powered track car oil surge

beado

Registered
Hi guys noob here from Australia running a stock spec Gen 1 bussa in a Sports Prototype race car. Recently had an engine failure (rod bearing) due to suspected oil pressure loss due to low oil level/ oil surge. I have rebuilt the motor and fitted a 360degree swinging pickup. Locally made similar to konieg. I have recently run the car at a sprint track day and noticed that the oil pressure fluctuates (manual gauge) when weaving on warm up laps between 40 and 60 psi. Once I am up to race speed, the pressure fluctuates on change of direction and stabilises when the g force is sustained at that direction. The pressure never really drops dramatically low only drops off when back at idle which I understand is Fairly normal for bussa engines. I'm running the high flow oil pump gear stock pressure relief valve. Originally was running Castrol Power 1 5w40 when engine expired. Now running Castrol Power 1 10w40. Supplier of pickup advised they use Castrol Supercar 10w60 in all their race engines. I now attain oil level by running the engine at about 3000rpm and check oil is between 3/4 to full on the sight glass. Should I expect this lag as the pickup moves to follow the oil? Has anyone here had any experience with the swinging pickup fluctuating like this on manual gauge or data logging? Just concerned that this might cause another failure.

Thanks
Screenshot_20230228-225030.png

This same issue has been covered here before, several years ago, and in 2 different threads(2 seperate cars and owners).
I remember reading them, but I'm sorry, I cannot remember the thread names.
Those engine's did not have a swinging pickup, but if I recall correctly, one of them had perforated panels/slats/dividers welded vertically, hanging down off the custom windage tray, to prevent the oil from being able to slosh side to side as much.
And, for what it's worth, .75 full in the site glass is 3.75 quarts.
4 quarts fully fills the site glass, any many members have ran 4 quarts in their engines for years without any issues, so no worries on 4 quarts and a full window.

Welcome to the org

Maybe there should be a section for Busa powered cars.

Super fast Matt made a dry sump for a heck of a lot more than you could buy one. He’s funny and often epitomizes the sunk cost fallacy. He’s entertaining to watch if nothing else and did this for his car with a motorcycle motor.

schnitz has a baffle you could consider.

Looks like you have a baffle but I’d definitely be worried about it happening again.

Thanks for your replies guys, I have used an accusump on a Nissan GTR I used to have. I still have it but it's a monster 3quart moroso jobbie. My only concern with the accusump is the bussa engines run such a low pressure at idle when hot as you all know (under 10 psi) I'm worried when it comes back to idle after I've been giving it hell it will dump all the accumulator contents into the engine. In that case I could go to a smaller 1 quart unit. Here are some more pics of the lower sump baffle. I'm considering installing more baffling in the lower part of the sump and I'm going to be checking that the o ring in the swinging pickup isn't sucking air. Also have been advised by some other Hayabusa car guys here in Australia to remove the aluminium angle bracket off the swinging pickup as this can cause extra drag through the oil causing the pickup to swing more slowly.
Cheers.

Screenshot_20230303-210611~2.png

Screenshot_20230303-210639~2.png

I have been running for ten years, 3 Hayabusa thunder roadsters, a Carpenter 1600, a turbo, and a 1440. All Webb cams, CP internals

I've Used Accusump, Peterson and Dailey dry sumps, Orient Express big pump, swing pickups and baffles from schnitz, etc.

I believe the free comment about drag from that swingarm is unsubstantiated, and well, nonsense. Of course my opinion is also free :-/

Think your fears about the large volume Accusump not only valid, but frightening, particularly after hot run, a red flag, then you return to the track grossly overfilled and feeding only (hotter) foam. Toys by Tink in Florida sells a modified head for this with different orifices that works nice for cars.

Have double O-ringed the swing to eliminate proven air leaks ,(on a valve job tester). I do think without some limiter the arm can "overswing" on a sweeper; i think at least one colleague's failure was this

The no longer available Orient express pump has longer rotors, and is superior to the "speed up gears", as each revolution is larger volume at any speed.

The Outlaw high pressure relief valve , about 75 psi hot, is nice unless your pump cant keep up with your clearance volume or turbo, in which case nothing changes. Schnitz valve same

Rilltech makes a 1300USD swinging baffle pan; you can make one yourself with five buck Cosworth flap doors.

Dry sump is expensive, heavy, complicated, bulletproof, and unbeatable for power pressure and safety.

Hope this helps anyone. It would be nice to have a BusaCar thread!! We have a few different things happening

Anyone else?

125TR MSRH 1-19.JPG

Back