Buell Pegs

My low side in 01 caused me to have three knee surgeries and a skin graft over the knee cap from my thigh and PT until I hated the therapist (didn't take long). I ended up buying a recumbent cycle for my living room to rehab my knee. With the pegs, long rides do not bother it at all especially in cold weather riding when it would stiffen up. Waaaay better!

Vortex rearsets adjust down around an inch, as well as back and up.
Prior to around 2012, the Vortex rearsets only adjusted back and up.
So you have to make sure that they are the ones that adjust down too if you buy a set.

LOL, no. Have been working storm recovery, not even out of the box yet. Looking like Sunday for install. Such is my life when working in my field.

Pegs arrived.
20170409_075308.jpg
20170409_075259.jpg
20170409_075250.jpg

Ok, for the install, very straight forward, just pull the c-slip and remove the pin. Install new peg and install the existing pin, make sure you orient the existing spring correctly so the peg springs back down if rotated towards the rear of the bike, re-install the c-clip. Will give a ride report tomorrow. I didnt adjust the shifter or brake lever just yet, I wear work boots during my commute to I want to see how it feels. More to come.

After my install I found that I nick that little knob on the side stand when shifting (size 12s). Took a little thinking to avoid it. I should prolly shave it off but it's helpful getting the stand down with the edge of my boot. I also worried that the absence of rubber on their pegs would cause vibration or fatigue on long rides but so far OK.

Ride report. Definitely a different feel. They do feel lower, time will tell much it helps my knees. These pegs are well made and install was snap. I need to adjust my shifter down just a little, it feels like I have to lift my boot to down shift. Same for the rear brake lever, although I rarely use it. Here some pics on the bike. They also have more grip on my boot than the stock pegs, I need to take the weight off of them to slide my boot on the peg. They have pegs that have a more agressive grip, but I am very satisfied with these and glad I didn't get the more agressive ones.

Ride report. Definitely a different feel. They do feel lower, time will tell much it helps my knees. These pegs are well made and install was snap. I need to adjust my shifter down just a little, it feels like I have to lift my boot to down shift. Same for the rear brake lever, although I rarely use it. Here some pics on the bike. They also have more grip on my boot than the stock pegs, I need to take the weight off of them to slide my boot on the peg. They have pegs that have a more agressive grip, but I am very satisfied with these and glad I didn't get the more agressive ones.
Is there any trick to adjusting the shift lever? I'm like you, I don't use the rear brake lever much, but I'd want the shifter to be right.

Not that I can think of, loosen or remove the retainer bolt, slide the lever off the post and rotate the direction you need. In my case, I need to rotate down a few degrees. It is on a toothed spline if I remember correctly.

Not that I can think of, loosen or remove the retainer bolt, slide the lever off the post and rotate the direction you need. In my case, I need to rotate down a few degrees. It is on a toothed spline if I remember correctly.
I seem to remember seeing something in the older posts about the guy that made the kits for the Buell units, thought it said something about a mod to make it work right. I could be wrong, I'm getting older by the day...

The rear nut on the Shifter is tough to get at on mine. I modified a 10mm box end wrench for the job. Basically made a 10mm brake line wrench. The Brake pedal height is a little more involved. To get any real travel increase you may need to remove some material from the adjuster threads. One other thing I did with my Buells was to put a short peice of reinforced rubber fuel line on the rear kickstand stop. It gives just enough gap to the shifter so I can shift without interfering with the kickstand. Without it I was limited in the amount of downward adjustment I could add before my foot was hitting the little nub on the stand. No more worries.

I havent noticed any interference with with the kickstand. Will look it over again today. About to gear up and head to work.

Second day on the new pegs. No noticeable buzz due to weight reduction. The stock pegs are considerably heavier than the new pegs. Many thanks to bigoltool for the suggestion. I think these are viable replacement for the buell pegs, however, I must say that I have only ridden one bike with buell pegs, and it was missing one when I rode it. LOL

Back