Brock Explains The Dyno...awesome Stuff!

Yeah,I thought it was super informative also and pointed out a lot of little details a lot of people probably aren't aware of when it comes to producing hp(such as DA,oil wt.,chain condition,tire compound,etc.,etc.,etc.).I know when I had mine tuned I had(still have)Brocks Short Meg,Alisyn oil with Petron Plus and Wynn's Power Charge,Sprint air filter,all short stacks,chain cleaned/lubed/adjusted correctly,ECU reflashed with rpm limit raised 500,Shell 89 octane,etc. and made 197 rwhp(in Huntington Beach,CA at Attack Performance)I had a few haters sounding off about how it must have been a "happy" dyno,(Dynojet 250i)etc. because a stock internal Busa just won't make that much power.More than likely those same people were running stuff like 93 octane fuel,10w40 or even 20w50 oil,crappy air filter and exhaust,chain all out of whack,etc.,etc.,etc. and were unhappy about the readings they got(because they had everything half-assed when they took their old turd in:laugh:).

Dyno%20Sheets-2011%20Busa-%20Attack%20Performance%20001_zps6yepg0qj.jpg

Exactly ! Another cheat for Drag strip or dyno run pry the rear brake pads out so they dont touch the rotor :) worth a few pony's usually .
My stuff back when I used a dyno often was always like your statement above . What Oil are you using in your Bird ? Me its what ever my neighbor whos a service manger at a suzuki shop brings me for helping him with something at his house . Shell 10/40 full synthetic , this time its royal purple lol. I'm not as picky as I use to be . If its slick , meets Jaso , and free it may go into the bird

With respect, that is winging it pretty badly, leaves subjective information, which can be argued to be inaccurate. Unless work which delivers more substantial power gains is done on an engine, marginal gains will not be accurate. When several tests are done, to compound the effect of marginal gains from different modifications, with their related production scale up costs, the posted procedures will not be of much meaning.

The linky below is similar to what we used many years ago, when I still worked for Mercedes in Stuttgart, except the parameters were a lot tighter.

http://climatictesting.com/conditioned_air_supply_systems-htm/

Getting away from internal combustion engines, even when professional athletes are tested today for performance improvements as related to training programs, they do it in a conditioned room where conditions are controlled to be exactly the same for each test.

That was a really good video and I believe the whole humidity thing. I'm in Florida and I've owned several vehicles, but one of my current ones is the most sensitive to the hot and humid air I've ever owned. You can really feel difference in performance between a nice cool "dryer" morning and a hot, 90% humidity day on this car. Pretty interesting.

We're lucky enough out here(SoCal)to have really low humidity,usually around 6-30% during the summer(higher at the beach but I'm 50 miles inland).I know where you're coming from with the humidity thing bro,I lived in Indian Harbor Beach for a bit in the early '80's and it was brutal!

This is a well done video. As a dyno owner and operator weather plays a big factor in what I do as a tuner, as well as the elevation where the bike is going to be ridden.

Another key thing Brock said was numbers vary by dyno manufacturers. This is extremely true. The industry standard in the motorcycle world is a dyno jet. Another big factor is dyno maintenance. A well maintained dyno will read consist. We have a mustang dyno, which always reads lower then a dynojet. Dyno jets are an inertial dyno, where as a mustang is loaded. That being said, most mustangs will read 12-15% LOWER then a mustang.

Had a local guy just last week come in with a 05 gsxr 1k with a turbo that another shop just built. He said it made 240hp on 6psi... I was like how? A gen 2 on 4psi will make 230hp on 4 with 340 more cc's. It ended up laying down 211hp with a pretty lean tune.

However I always preach to my customers to not get hung up on the numbers. Yes it's cool for bragging rights, but what really matters is how it feels when you ride it. And for the drag race guys, mph directly correlates with HP. Take it back to the track and see how your mph jumps.

One thing I like on our mustang is it show uncorrected, and then WCF which means weather correction factor. It's interesting to see over the course of a day making pull how far apart those numbers can be. Every once and a great while, in the winter down here in Houston the numbers will be the same.

But like in the screen shot here, because of the humidity, there's almost a 6hp difference. That's not that bad considering sometimes it's as much as 15 on extremely hot and humid days.

IMG_8922.JPG

IMG_8922.JPG

Back