Bluetooth headsets

PandaNin

Donating Member
Registered
I found the Scala-rider bluetooth Review here but I'm not sure.

Is anyone else using a bluetooth headset on their mobile that fits inside a full-face helmet?

I have a shoei that's pretty tight on the head and there's not enough room in there for a boom. My wired headset fits fine in the ear but I have to clip the mic onto the front of my balaclava so others can hear me. At about 60mph it loses it's effectiveness tho; not to mention it's a wire that I don't need/want in my way.

With gas prices over $3.50 here it's time to ride full-time and that means being able to take care of business sometimes on the straight roads to work.

Any input from anyone?

Checked out the Scala Rider product page, looks like a nice compact system. I was waiting on Motorola's HS830 bluetooth headset. But no price or release date yet. That Scala Rider is looking good.
cool.gif

-Ed

I ordered it from Datavision for $139.55 with ground shipping. I'll let you know how it works once it comes in. Expected 3 - 5 days to show up.

They look cool, but I'm not into using anything which you need batteries. Trying to keep everything powered by the bike so on long rides I do not need to pull over for batteries, gas is enough.

PRODUCT REVIEW TIME

My new Scala-rider bluetooth headset for the helmet came in today.

First pic below.

The unit is charged via electrical outlet. No replacing batteries. Just disconnect it from the helmet, plug in and charge. Talktime is 7 hours. Standby is 3 - 4 days (they say). It installed in 5 minutes with no holes or permanent marks in my helmet. That makes me happy.

Weight is a few ounces. No noticeable difference having it on the helmet.

So I charged it up, installed it and of course, went for a ride.

Wow.

I was doing 95 down the highway talking away and they could just make out windnoise in the background. At 65, it sounds like I'm on my wired headset. Little tinny given the echo of the helmet, but no complaints. No extra windnoise I could discern from having the unit attached.

The volume is great. I was able to hear clearly at all speeds. The best part of all is that I can answer hands-free. When it rings, it's voice activated (even though my phone isn't). Just say 'YES' and it answers.

My phone is a Blackberry 7520 and it doesn't have voice recognition. This is one nice feature. I can see this being very useful.

ScalaRiderOutside.jpg

PRODUCT REVIEW TIME

My new Scala-rider bluetooth headset for the helmet came in today.

First pic below.

The unit is charged via electrical outlet. No replacing batteries. Just disconnect it from the helmet, plug in and charge. Talktime is 7 hours. Standby is 3 - 4 days (they say). It installed in 5 minutes with no holes or permanent marks in my helmet. That makes me happy.

Weight is a few ounces. No noticeable difference having it on the helmet.

So I charged it up, installed it and of course, went for a ride.

Wow.

I was doing 95 down the highway talking away and they could just make out windnoise in the background. At 65, it sounds like I'm on my wired headset. Little tinny given the echo of the helmet, but no complaints. No extra windnoise I could discern from having the unit attached.

The volume is great. I was able to hear clearly at all speeds. The best part of all is that I can answer hands-free. When it rings, it's voice activated (even though my phone isn't). Just say 'YES' and it answers.

My phone is a Blackberry 7520 and it doesn't have voice recognition. This is one nice feature. I can see this being very useful.
Nice review!! Thanks...

How good is it with the microphone, I mean can the person on the other side here you talking without too much of disturbance
rock.gif

How good is it with the microphone, I mean can the person on the other side here you talking without too much of disturbance
rock.gif
Up to 70mph the person on the other end thought I was in my car. Then he asked what "kind of paper are you rustling with?" It was windnoise.

I took it on up to 100 and at 95 he said, "Oh, you're on the bike aren't you!"

At 100 it was too hard to listen and drive so I slowed it back down. Not a good idea to do 100 and try to talk. The quality of the sound degraded at 100 as well, the speaker just can't get that loud. It automatically adjusts the volume with the ambient noise.

It worked the entire drive into work. I'm thrilled with this thing.

how hard is it to get the earpiece behind the padding in the helment?? I like it and am looking at getting this also.
cool.gif

I'll answer both questions at once...

1) My helmet is a Shoei RF-1000 so there's no padding around the ear. The backside of the speaker is velcro-like so it'll stick to a liner or padding. Didn't do me alot of good as my ear-area is just a shell. However, they thought of that and included the other 1/2 of the velcro that just sticks to the helmet; then the speaker sticks to it. Works well. On any other helmet, it doesn't go behind the foam, it sticks to the foam.

2) All the units have the boom mike. That was my main concern too. Don't want to look tooooo freaky-deaky while cruising on the beast. The good news is, the boom is hidden behind a full-face helmet. They send 2 different sponge sizes for it. I used the small sponge and it's not noticeable to anyone looking at me.

That help?

looks like you haveta have a blue tooth phone for this huh
rock.gif
sux, mine isnt and I cant upgrade for free for another ~year
sad.gif

Looks way cool though, have to keep it in mind should I get an upgrade sooner
cool.gif

2) All the units have the boom mike.  That was my main concern too.  Don't want to look tooooo freaky-deaky while cruising on the beast.  The good news is, the boom is hidden behind a full-face helmet.  They send 2 different sponge sizes for it.  I used the small sponge and it's not noticeable to anyone looking at me.

That help?
Thanks for the reply. It does help in my decision to buy the headset.

Back