Bluetooth compatibility ??'s

BUSA_CHeMiST

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, so i used to consider myself pretty savvy with electronics, but this bluetooth thing has got me all messed up!!

So i am trying to connect two bluetooth devices together...lets say a Bluetooth adapter (A2DP) and a SCALA RIDER Q2 headset
whistling.gif
... anywho, 00BUSATX tells me that the SCALA headset is Bluetooth version 2.0 class 1

i bought a JABRA A2DP bluetooth adpater to plug into my sat radio but i just looked at the make/model and apparently it is a Bluetooth version 1.2 class 2.

the NEW adatper im looking at buying is a SONY and is listed as Bluetooth version 2.0 class 2

Now, the question is (before i go spend some more money on somethin that doesnt work
banghead.gif
), do bluetooth adapters/phones/devices only pair with other devices of the same VERSION?? I ask this b/c my Jabra with bluetooth version 1.2 DID NOT pair up with the SCALA headset (bluetooth 2.0)

Hopefully some of our local techies can chime in, as I am a lost puppy on this topic!
thumb_up.gif

From what I am reading, it looks like everything new is compatible with the old so it might be a hardware problem...

Bluetooth 1.2
This version is backward-compatible with 1.1 and the major enhancements include the following:
Faster Connection and Discovery

Bluetooth 2.0
This version, specified on November 10, 2004, is backward-compatible with 1.1. The main enhancement is the introduction of an Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) of 3.0 Mbit/s. This has the following effects:[6]

Bluetooth 2.1
Bluetooth Core Specification Version 2.1 is fully backward-compatible with 1.1, and was adopted by the Bluetooth SIG on July 26, 2007.

From what I am reading, it looks like everything new is compatible with the old so it might be a hardware problem...

Bluetooth 1.2
This version is backward-compatible with 1.1 and the major enhancements include the following:
Faster Connection and Discovery

Bluetooth 2.0
This version, specified on November 10, 2004, is backward-compatible with 1.1. The main enhancement is the introduction of an Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) of 3.0 Mbit/s. This has the following effects:[6]

Bluetooth 2.1
Bluetooth Core Specification Version 2.1 is fully backward-compatible with 1.1, and was adopted by the Bluetooth SIG on July 26, 2007.
Yeah, just read that a little while ago. Apparently the different versions (2.0, 1.2, 1.1) transmit at different speeds and if one transmits "too slow" or one transmits "too fast" for the unit is transmitting to, they will be incompatible.

With that being said, i've got another Bluetooth adapter version 2.0 coming and it matches up spec wise to the SCALA headset. We'll see!

Scala Rider is a proprietary BlueTooth headset. They use a custom encoding to setup a secure riding group. They are not intended to be paired as a BT headset with any other device. My dealer has tried with many different configurations and has yet to get it working.

Scala Rider is a proprietary BlueTooth headset.  They use a custom encoding to setup a secure riding group.  They are not intended to be paired as a BT headset with any other device.  My dealer has tried with many different configurations and has yet to get it working.
Then how are they able to connect to almost every BT cell phone along with an array of BT GPS units on the market?

I see where your coming from though, security wise, their electronic signature might be so different then a more generic BT A2DP device.

Thanks for the input!
shake.gif
i'll keep tryin stuff out as well, and if your dealer comes up with anything please let me know! Maybe SCALA will come up with something in the near future that will be more BT compatible and offer a wider array of connectivity features!

I'll check back with my dealer and see if I can do some further testing with it. I have a couple of fully compliant BT 2.0 devices. I'll have to see if I can get those working. It may be a few days before I have the time.

Back