Bike Shopping

ThunderJohn

Registered
Questions about buying a bike"¦

How many miles is too high?

Is it ok to buy one with any damage? Nothing major maybe a few scratches or whatever will probably pain next year.

Any tips for buying a used one.

I am adding one so my wife and I are actively shopping before riding season starts and everyone is trying to buy. It sucks because I am not there to shop with her. I have a friend local that will help he knows bikes a little better than me. I am just looking for a few opinions.

No suggestions???
dunno.gif

Honestly, I think the question is what is your budget VS kind and size of bike you are looking for? There are some really good deals out there, ya just gotta watch for them and snag it when the time is right. Depending on your budget, you could easily get a low mile bike with no scratches/ rash at all.... And there's nothing wrong with that!
beerchug.gif

I'll give my .02$ If you know how to ride then you should know how any motorcycle should ride.Mechanically- does the clutch slip, does it shift gears O.K., are their any fluid leaks, Does the engine run smooth, tires look good, brakes O.K. etc etc....

To me, I don't car so much about mileage or scratches on plastics if the bike has been maintained mechanically and and rides like it should......

Hope this helps
beerchug.gif
- Joel

I am not there to ride it. I am sure my friend will ride it and check it out mechanically. Is there a certain point where a bike needs major maintenance or might start having real problems.

I am looking for some thing for my wife. A 600 preferably. Do not want to spend more than 5g's. I could go for a little less than that if possible then I could add some stuff to it or even better used saved cash to add mods to the Busa.

5 g's will get you a nice bike! When you say 600cc, are u talking like a gixxer 600 or more of a putt around 600?

I would say NO as long as it is in good mechanical shape. High mileage bikes would worry me as far as the suspension bearings and seals maybe showing some wear.Maybe needing forks redone. Maybe wheel bearings and seals need replacing.But I wouldn't worry about the motor as long as it was maintained.Stock bike motors are pretty bulletproof if taken care of.

Buying a used bike requires a list of things to check. Bike service history: make sure the seller has a complete list of all receipts of services and maintainence. Has the bike been wrecked: new paint other than factory colors. Decals hide scratches. Check the frame, bar ends ,mirrors etc for damage.Check the tires, brakes and chain condition. If the bike has a history of problems the manufacturer has to repair make sure these have been done.Check the overall care and condition of the bike' it tells alot how it was treated. Look for lock wired components as this could mean it has been raced.if the bike has any outstanding problems don't walk, run away. Start the engine when it is cold to see how it starts and check for exhaust smoke.

Back