Beware Of Avons

TallTom

Registered
Prior to this post I had been a pretty happy customer of Avons. My last set I went through had to be replaced with new to me Ultra 3D series tires. Sposed to be better etc. I have had 3 sets throughout the years.

I will no longer.

With less than 500 miles on the front, I began to feel an oscillation in the front end. Badly. Low speeds up until about 40ish then it would smooth out. Felt like an out of balance tire, or a bad washboard road surface. First time I felt it that is what I thought it was....bad road etc. Then the next ride it was definitely NOT the road. I removed the tire and inspected. Thinking perhaps my axle was not torqued or anything not right.

All was good on inspection. Put it back together and she was smooth as normal. It was back to normal.

The next ride felt fine. The morning after what felt like a normal ride, I found my rear tire flat. Bummer. I started looking for a nail etc. Only to find that my tire was about to come apart. The steel belts had cut through the carcass in 2 spots and it was losing air out of there.

This could have turned out very badly if I had been at speed and this thing continued to come apart. It happened rather quickly, and with no notice. I had just done a once over inspection and topped off my air pressure in the previous days.

Bad news here for Avon.

I am running the storm 2 ultra and the only problem I have had with them is they took forever to break in. After that they have been great for the last 8000 miles and still have a few thousand left in them.

You stated new to you. How used were they when you got them and why were they pulled off the first bike? Just asking because I was planning on another set when I get done with this set.

Have you contacted Avon to see if they will take care of you? Who mounted the tires? I've always heard people talk about how you can split a belt mounting a tire if stretched too much. Specially a harder compound like the avons(not sure if it's true or not). I just switched from a BT016 on the rear to a Bt023 and man.......... What a workout it was to mount the harder compound 023 on the wheel. I was sore the next day after fitghing it on with my NoMar tire changer. Just a thought..... Not sure what happened in your case.

You stated new to you. How used were they when you got them and why were they pulled off the first bike? Just asking because I was planning on another set when I get done with this set.

The tires were new. New to me meaning I had to get the newest version of the Storms Ultras. I had to get the 3D version on this set. I was a fan of Avons before this last revision that I had to buy. Got good miles out of them, handled well, no issues. Like I said my 3rd set of Avons.

The same thing that was going to happen to this guy here. I thankfully caught it early: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/avon-storm-ultra-ii-delamination-crash.636925/

Have you contacted Avon to see if they will take care of you? Who mounted the tires?

Part of the reason I stuck with the Avons is replacement warranty. If they get a failure for any reason such as nail punctures etc within the first I think it was 2MM of wear they replace them.

However after reviewing the fine print, I doubt I stand a chance of getting help. I bought online, and had them mounted here by a Non Avon dealer....so you can see how that would go for a claim.

Well damn, that sucks. I literally just received a new front and rear for my bike and my first time to try Avon out. 3D Ultra for the front & Cobra 250 for the rear.

Hopefully they fair better than the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II that is cupping badly after only a couple thousand miles. At about 120 the front end shakes horribly. Tried to get it re-balanced, but was dead on. Also discovered Honda shop doesn't balance tires, says they're is no point. Dunlop Elite 250 on the rear has been decent, though spins way too easily. Also only about 4k miles out of it.

Just got a new set of avon storms ,first set lasted 10k, not good news did you watch tyres being fitted as I've had a new boy fit car tyre and ruined it

Well damn, that sucks. I literally just received a new front and rear for my bike and my first time to try Avon out. 3D Ultra for the front & Cobra 250 for the rear.

Hopefully they fair better than the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II that is cupping badly after only a couple thousand miles. At about 120 the front end shakes horribly. Tried to get it re-balanced, but was dead on. Also discovered Honda shop doesn't balance tires, says they're is no point. Dunlop Elite 250 on the rear has been decent, though spins way too easily. Also only about 4k miles out of it.

Maybe try some balance beads. I have them in both tires. (Avon ultra storm 2) I have had them up to at least 180 and had no problems.

I've always heard those work good. I found a shop that does motorcycle tires that I trust and will balance them properly. :)

I guess the good news is it seems the issue they have with Avon is the rear tires so hopefully the front's are okay and not defective.

Great . . .

Just saw this and literally just got a new 200/50/17 3 D Ultra Sport A V 80 mounted today for my Hayabusa . . .

Will report my experience . . .

Just keep an eye on the tire pressure ~ and always buy the stickier front . . .

DM_97336.jpg

Back