Australian turbo build

Iceman_2770

Registered
Hi guys I have been running through the archives looking for information.

I have a 09 gen2 that I'm building a turbo kit for. I have the turbo. I am going to make the exhaust and intake manifolds myself.

What I would like is any advise on setup, oil line routing etc.

The turbo has oil lubrication and water cooling. Un fortunately the turbo centre is upside down ie oil feed on the bottom when the exhaust side is orientated the we I need it. Can I just undo the clamps and spin the housing?

I have seen that some of turbos setups on here have a crank driven oil return pump. Where can I find them? I have found bigCC do one but ir replaces the whole cover. I'm looking for the one that bolts to the standard cover.

Thanks for the help guys

David

You don't need to water cool the turbo.

Yes you can spin the center section to point it in whatever direction you need it to point.

If you build the header high enough, the turbo will gravity drain with no problems without a pump.

Hope that answers your questions!

Thanks for the info.

I will see how high I can get the turbo to sit so I can make the call about the pump

Thanks
David

David as someone who has made kits for various bikes i would suggest buying some of the components like headers from any of the experianced suppliers
you will get a header that fits the head properly, gravity drains the turbo and has best available clearance on radiator, bodywork, motor etc , and you can get at the mounting bolts relatively easy

If you want to see existing turbo bikes to compare i can probably direct you to one in your state or area

which turbo are you planning on using

and who are you thinking of for tuning

Hi oz booster

I'm in Wagga Wagga NSW.

the turbo I have is a TD05h-20G. The same a pro-boost use in their kit.
As for tuning I will be taking it to Jamie at S&R PRO. As long as he can tune the original ecu. So I don't need to use an aftermarket ie powercomander.

Ok , i'm not all that far from you either, down near Shepparton , i can flash but no dyno for another few months if Jamie cant do what you need
Guy in Wagga did a turbo 1000 a few yrs ago ,he could help with setup tips

Hi oz booster

I'm in Wagga Wagga NSW.

the turbo I have is a TD05h-20G. The same a pro-boost use in their kit.
As for tuning I will be taking it to Jamie at S&R PRO. As long as he can tune the original ecu. So I don't need to use an aftermarket ie powercomander.

We have killer head pipe for a 20G . . . we had these made by RCC originally for Hahn kits. It is a replacement, stainless steel head pipe with a one-piece flange, and it is the same quality we always see from Richard. This will put the turbo right where it needs to be and it will gravity feed . . .

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/powe...8832-hahn-replacement-headers-powerhouse.html

Thanks power house

I'll keep an eye on it. I have found a one piece flange with spigots that I was looking at buying to make my own. They are stainless steel the flange into the turbo on mine is different to the one in your picture. Mine have a 2.5" round hole as apprised to the square one in you picture. But I could always just weld on a new flange.

I'm looking at making a mount to support the turbo from the radiator support bracket where it bolts to the engine. Is it worthwhile or not necessary?

Ok so I have some photos. Hopefully they upload correctly. I have orientated the turbo correctly ie oil inlet at the top. Made a new bracket for the waste gate actuator.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next question for the gurus. I see that a lot of installs remove the oil cooler. Can this be done safely ie still used as a daily driver? If it can can I use the supply to the cooler to supply oil to the turbo?

Thanks

Next question for the gurus. I see that a lot of installs remove the oil cooler. Can this be done safely ie still used as a daily driver? If it can can I use the supply to the cooler to supply oil to the turbo?

Thanks

Yes, you can remove the oil cooler and use the bike as a daily driver, it is not a problem at all. I would block the ports - remember to remove the restrictor behind the oil filter - and come off the main galley for the supply oil to the turbo . . . :laugh:

The internal wastegate will need work to reduce boost creep , better if you can convert to external wastegate as you build the system

no issues removing the cooler, just remember to remove the restrictor behind the filter if you do

cooler oil is pre filter , better to use filtered oil if you can, several nearby gallerys are easy to use, or tee from oil pressure switch, even double up om the head supply banjo (some brake bolts for double banjo fittings are the right thread and length )

So a lot of this build is being done without taking the bike off the road. Before I have to remove and reinstall the air box. Does anyone know the outside diameter of the throttle bodies? Would like to know so I can start on the plenum.

Thanks

50mm id and ~55 od , nothing fits quite right off the shelf, i have velocity stacks machined up to weld in for my plenums

Back