Anyone With White Tire Lettering?

InfiniteReality

Registered
I've seen someone that used a white marker specifically to make the lettering stand out on his bike tires. I came across this and curious if anyone has ever done it and have some pictures to share? I really dig the looks of them on some cars, but not sure how they'd look on a bike. The cool part is instead of randomly placing on your tire you can apply exactly where the manufacturer's name is.

https://www.tirestickers.com/shop/tire-letter-match/

Also open to opinions on them too, kicking the idea around.

I've seen them on vintage bikes and some Hoggs and Indians that looked ok but I'd never have white lettering on my Busa tires or even my CBX....since you're asking for opinions.

20161023_175640.jpg

Just bought a bunch of pens off ebay. They were around .99 cents shipped per pen

They look right at home on the KTM. The company sent me a picture of a Ducati and have to admit they look at home on there too. Just not so sure if they would on the busa. Just can't picture it.

image.png

Get Uniball paint pens. Same thing as Moose racing tire pen. Don't bother with acrylic based. Even the oil based uniball will show signs of deterioration in a short time. Sorry photobucket is sleeping now....have several pics. Looks great.

thumb_preli.spcrsa3_1024.jpg

thumb_preli.spcrsa9_1024.jpg

thumb_preli.spcrsa10_1024.jpg

Acrylic will be delapidated after the first ride-----oil based ONLY. I bought uniballs online for a little over a buck / each recently. Probably do not need more than one pen but buy a few. They last a long time after openning. Used one that had been opened 2 years and still worked fine. Shake good to mix and let er rip!

Here's some of the 14......love this bike you see she gets more love than he busa......IDK---she was first. The busa-----simply better bike. Smoother and more refined. Better stock features for racing sport riding......I still love this 14.....waiting for a gen 3 busa ---no mistake that is the better bike.

thumb_P1160197_1024.jpg

thumb_P1160187_1024.jpg

You take your time....~15 minutes each side. if you mess up, wipe away with denatured alcohol....small slip ups, just let it dry and come back with razor blade or sharp knife and scrape away clean. Looks sharp as hell.

Ah hell, that looks really good. I like the factory lettering height, allows it to be more subtle than the big ones they use on cars. I don't think I can use pens because I know I'm lazy and won't color them in every week. I'm lucky to wash the bike as it is, lol.

LOL you wouldn't need to redo every week but you could certainly touch up that often. You see some flake off after the first couple rides. Might be just because of the mold release agent on a new tire. i scrub the tire first but it is really hard to get in the raised hatching of the letters. The letters are not usually just flat shapes. ???? IDK if it is mold release agent or what. I usually paint mine one time and it's rough but still ok by tire changing time which is 4000 ~ 6000 miles for me. yes, i got 4000 miles out of those superbike Pros. How do I do it?? I ride the rear until I can see the carcass is ready to start showing but I know 4000 miles is still a lot more miles than most get on much harder tires.

Man... Pens would be waaaaayyyy cheaper for sure. What if after I did them, I didn't like it... Can it be washed off with paint thinner or something similar?

Yeah. If you use denatured alcohol on a rag, that will clean it right off if done within 12 hours or so. Probably would still easily come off with alcohol after a day or two. If the tire gets hot, that would probably have a tendency to harden the paint. You'll like it though. The alcohol is good to have on hand if you have a run. The paint pens work pretty good but they can blurt out a blob of paint if you pump them on the working surface. I usually pump on a piece of card board to get the paint to flow onto the tip.

Uni-ball paint pens come in fine, medium, chisel point and other nibs. I do not think there is a great deal of difference between fine and medium but fine will probably be a little easier to draw over the very narrow parts of the letters. The Pirellis I did have a few fine line areas. I can use the mediums but I have pretty much painting experience so it's second nature. It's not hard though. pump some paint onto the tip and lightly follow the raised surface. The paint flows slowly but you need to pump the spring loaded tip every now and then and of course, it's good to shake the paint up once in a while too.

medium
http://www.shoplet.com/Uni-Ball-Uni...NKbDs6Z1EzTJHMFGSv_QV6BIKhYResqeXIaAg7z8P8HAQ

fine
http://www.officesupplyhut.com/Prod...63713DZ.aspx?utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=cse

you see they both have a fairly broad nib as pens go. You could use either.

If you do a search, you'll find suppliers that will sell one pen. you don't have to buy in bulk.

Just ordered one off Amazon. I'm dipping the bike again this weekend so this should add a nice touch to everything. Can't wait!

Hey mythos that is one cool 14! plan on using the letter pen on my zx9 green white purple 97 should look good on the new tires. Dont see it on the busa with the color bike im buying.

Got my pen in today, Sunday when I'm reinstalling the fairings after dipping I'll paint them. Think I should do brand and model since each one is 180 degrees from another?

Back