Anyone in Ithica NY or Baltimore?

Gpmo

Registered
My wife has to apply for internships and these are two places she is looking at. Cornell and Baltimore zoo. We were looking for living costs and general how is it.

We would need a 2 bedroom or so minimum and a garage. Going to do some Craigslist research, it just takes longer now days with all the scams.

Any input would be great.

I'm about an hour from ithaca, pretty nice area. Very college and art type town. Lots of Hippies, not meant in a mean way, but dreads and tie die shirts are all over. No highways within 30 miles or so, but lots of great back roads to ride.
I've never looked into cost of living, but I'm guess its very broad. There are a decent amount of apartments and then the higher end houses over lookin Cayuga lake. I don't know that there are any bad areas per say, but there is some crime, 2-3 shootings a year that i hear about, but I'd walk around without worry at night. It's got some small businesses as well as Walmart, wegmans ect... It doesn't.feel like a big town, but its not a tiny community either, kinda in between.
If ya need me.to go peek at anything or need some feet on the ground let me know :thumbsup:

Greetings!

Althought not there now, I spent most of my life in the Baltimore/DC world.

Baltimore isn't much different from any major city. It's got really nice/well-to-do areas, including the downtown/inner harbor area where you need six figures just to get by and only blocks away you can find low income/subsidized housing and the local drug scene. Downtown/inner harbor is relatively safe, but, like anywhere, you're smart to keep your eyes up and be aware. You might see a limo drive by as you notice a bum peeing in the alley behind an office building. Great places to eat abound, along with entertainment. The Orioles and the Ravens have stadiums right in the downtown area. You also have DC only 30 miles to the south (30 minutes to an hour drive) where you'll find a wealth of historic monuments, crime (politicians work there, as do street criminals), federal offices and some of the most diverse culture anywhere in the world.

In general, the DC/Baltimore region has some of the worst traffic congestion in the country. This has to do with the fact that there are relatively few freeways to the amount of people that have lengthy daily commutes. Most folks that work in the cities live outside the of the city in order to avoid the high property cost in the city. Very rich and very poor live in the city. Middle class usually opts to stretch their property dollar in the suburbs.

Both DC and Baltimore have everything you'll ever need and more. Of note are great colleges: Univ of MD (one campus in Baltimore, one nearer to DC in College Park, MD), Johns Hopkins (Baltimore), Georgetown and George Washington (DC). Both cities have major zoos and Baltimore has a renowned aquarium as well.

You'll need to consider your budget/income and housing needs against the market, but something can be found for most situations, thought many have to compromise on location or cost or quality to to match their resources.

One thing I can tell ya about Baltimore: You don't want to be anywhere neare Druid Park or Martin Luther King Ave and don't park your Hayabusa in the city if you don't have to...and if you have to, get full coverage and keep it paid up.

Big cities are big cities. They have everything, good and bad in terms of people, places, business, entertainment, food, work and everything else and Baltimore is no exception. But if you keep your wits about ya, exercise common sense and plan well, the city has a lot to offer and can be a home on most any budget.

Best of luck!

Baltimore is chithole. they do have great hospitals tho. but that's because they get a lot of practice from all the shootings that take place there....:whistle:

Baltimore is no different from any major city. Cost of living is better in the counties like Baltimore county and Hartford county. If you don't mind a little commute York, Pa area is a good spot to locate to and you get so much more for your money than Maryland especially in real estate. If you do end up in Baltimore let us know. I know there are quite a few members here in the area.

Baltimore is no different from any major city. Cost of living is better in the counties like Baltimore county and Hartford county. If you don't mind a little commute York, Pa area is a good spot to locate to and you get so much more for your money than Maryland especially in real estate. If you do end up in Baltimore let us know. I know there are quite a few members here in the area.

And be sure to meet up with Lycan, one the great ambassadors for the Org! :thumbsup:

Greetings Lycan! :beerchug:

id go Bmore over Ithaca. cost of living wise especially real estate and weather wise (unless you like snow) and socially, with the harbor, sports teams and dc and philly right down the road Bmore wins that choice for me. MMG is right about dru hill tho. Bmore has a huge underground with a bad side to it that snatches bikes...like any other big city as he said tho.

I live about 18 miles from Ithaca. The cost of living is rather high compared to the surrounding areas because of Cornell and Ithaca College and the amount of tech-careers in the area. There are however areas surrounding Ithaca that are reasonable for the cost of living while only being a 5-15 minute drive. They are smaller towns but I think just as good, if not better than the Ithaca village. Look around into towns like Dryden, Groton, McLean, Trumansburg, they are all fairly quiet and modest smaller towns and close to Ithaca. Try and stay out of Cortland, having grown up there, I know its a cess pool. Best of luck to you both! Cornell is a great place to work and the Cayuga Lake area is "gorgeous". "Gorgeous" is an Ithaca thing. :laugh:

Back