Another tire question

i've read a few of the "best tire for your riding style" threads and i didn't see any threads about shinko tires. from personal experience when i'm watching at the strip or watching stunt riders they're all using shinkos because of the price i'm sure. i just want to buy some ultra soft shinkos don't care about tread life beacuse i can buy some new ones for cheap anytime. i just want some great grip for just regular riding... but why aren't thies tires talked about more? anyone have personal experience with them?

You dont hear much about shinko's because most people dont like to run **** tire's, but i guess its your preference, id say if your squiding around town and posing at the local sonic you'd be fine, but if your out hitting the backroads and actually riding id opt for better quality

i just want to buy some ultra soft shinkos don't care about tread life beacuse i can buy some new ones for cheap anytime.
Personally, I think this is a flawed approach. There may be a number of items you can get away with buying "cheap" for use on the Hayabusa, but tires aren't one of them, IMO.

The fact that the Shinko's aren't discussed or even seen hardly outside from the dragsrip and stunting scene, this should be a big indicator to you.

All that having been said, it's your bike and your skin to do with as you please, so... good luck in your tire selection process.

I'm running Shinko 009 Ravens. On my second rear; first one lasted about 7,000 miles. Ran them thru the Dragon last year and scrubbed in the second rear at the Dragon this year. About $160 for both front and rear. I'm pleased with them.

Here's a shot from the Bash this year:

Sat_dam_217.JPG

I just got a set of the ultra softs. erased my chicken strips on them at the dragon. albeit i also bent my exhaust spring clip backwards too
firedevil.gif

yes it is more of a straight line tire with a pretty big footprint. But it isnt THAT bad on the twisties. They can handle better than most of us can.

Ive heard their okay in the rain and that they are bad in the rain. i have been in the rain once with them and it was at the dragon. They did fine but i was taking it pretty easy. especially since i was just coming back from a bad wreck.

Umm yeah, that was pretty much the case, and actually 99 was doing about 45mph down the mountain in the rain and cold that day

I was right behind him, did I forget to say that?
beerchug.gif

Thanks, i would think the stresses put on shinkos at the track and shows that they would be pretty reliable. Weekend warriors running in the 8's have no problem with them i'm sure they're more then enough for me. and if i was posing at sonic i'd do it with pirelli corsas (with the chicken strips scoffed off)
firedevil.gif
not 130$ shinkos. When i said "cheap" i meant inexpensive are they're anyone else who have used them? Thanks

thumb_up.gif
Down here is Louisiana plenty of people use them for dragracing and twisties

I'm gonna pick up a set of the "Advanced"s next, I know a couple people running them that have no problem getting knee down and have the shoulders worn off.

I've had my Advance 005's for 2000 miles now... very pleased. Hold tight in the twisties, and have a great lean angle, and wet traction too. I got mine so I could finish wearing out the OEM front tire, but it has performed better than I thought it would. I say it's a good tire for the price.

I'm prob going with the Michelin's next (just to try something different)
thumb_up.gif
But I would definitely have NO PROB buying this tire again if I had to.

Metzler M3 !!!!!!!!!
thumb_up.gif
bowdown.gif

The Differance Between a Real Good Tire and a Sh... Tire is the Asphalt !!!!!!

I noticed a big difference in the Perelli Diablo Strada tires I put on my 06 just before I traded it (DUHH). I was much more confident leaning them over than on the M-3's I had as my 3rd set. I had 009 Shinko's in between there and used them for sport touring. They tended to spin like crazy though and did not last...too much torque for them. I am not wild about the stock tires on the 08, and will likely spring for another set of Perelli's.:thumbsup:

I have ran both Ravens and Advance 005. Stick with the Ravens if you're riding twisties. The Advance especially the rear is has a Car like profile not good at all on twisties. Wheelie guys benefit from the Advance because on the flat profile it has. Also to add the Ravens needs to be warmed up inorder to make it stick I sy 70 degrees or above if you want to play.

I was right behind him, did I forget to say that? :beerchug:
did we also forget down 2" in the front and about 1" in the rear? :rofl: poor bike drags belly on driveways..

Honestly I have never run the Shinko and most of the corner benders I know do not either.. now do any of them have real time on them? beats me.. i am afraid to try them myself.. a $50 savings makes me nervous on a bike I have maybe $18,000 in... Would hate myself if I low sided the thing off a cliff..

I do not doubt at all that they are sufficient for average abuse, but my concern is powering out of corners on the rear tire playing Rossi... :whistle: if I could ever figure out how he does it... :laugh:

Chris had a ball at the dragon all the same and his riding improved 200%.. my guess is after this next trip he will figure out how to raise the bike for these rides and then drop it again for his "cruisin"... :)

So far I have run Metzlers M3/M1, Bridgestones (56/021/016), Corsa3's (3 sets so far and my favorite by far) and a couple other sets of unmentionables.. and now have on order my first set of Dunlop Qualifiers... (after watching Don on them, I had to get a set to try)

Last edited:
omslaw do you mind telling us at what tire pressure you were running to corner on the 009 ravens like that picture inyoure post? thank you

I would leave the Shinkos for the track (drag racing) not known for making
good tires for the twisties...there are MUCH better choices out there.

Back