Another Run at Fork Seals

I'd just about pay 120 for a fork seal job on the GSXR. That's a good deal for a drop off job. I've not ventured into my 2012 forks yet. They are a different animal...

Those forks need a Rod Guide Case Wrench to open the fork internals, after you unscrew the caps.
Suzuki wants $250 for the wrench, and I have only found it one other place. The price was only a few dollars difference.

I hit a knarly pothole last Friday on way home from work and that evening I happen to decide to adjust my headlights down a bit, I noticed a little oil on a fork. They made it 14k without any issues, but guess it's finally my turn so thanks for this write up!

I have a 09, I should be good to follow this write up, right? It sounds like they changed forks at some point, when did that happen?

I hit a knarly pothole last Friday on way home from work and that evening I happen to decide to adjust my headlights down a bit, I noticed a little oil on a fork. They made it 14k without any issues, but guess it's finally my turn so thanks for this write up!

I have a 09, I should be good to follow this write up, right? It sounds like they changed forks at some point, when did that happen?

Busa forks have not changed.
Gsxr1k forks changed in 09, those are the ones that require expensive tools to open.

Thanks for the confirmation, I'm good then! I wiped my forks down Friday when I saw a little oil on them. I took it around the neighborhood to test the headlight alignment that night and no more oil. I compressed them a bunch of times last night and no oil. Looks like I need to put a few miles on it and look again, if nothing I'll just keep an eye on it and first time I find more oil they're getting new seals. :) I'm sure it's just a matter of time, but don't mind waiting till winter hits so I can ride it while weather is nice!

The seal mate can work, but I don't think you need it.
The idea behind it is that it cleans out any small dirt or debris that is stuck between the seal and fork, causing a small leak.
It sounds like this may have been your cause, but since the leak has stopped, whatever may have been stuck in there came out.
Whenever this happens, using the tool or not, it usually just buys you some time before the seals leak and must be replaced.
The Seal Mate works good and is popular for dirt bikes, as they normally see alot more dirt and grit than street bikes.

I agree, it's likely gone already. Maybe it'll clean the dust seal just in case whatever is possibly trapped inside. Fingers crossed no more leaking!

I agree, it's likely gone already. Maybe it'll clean the dust seal just in case whatever is possibly trapped inside. Fingers crossed no more leaking!

The dust seal is just that, a seal to keep dust and dirt away from the oil seal. You can use a small screwdriver and pop the dust seal out of the fork bottom, and slide it down the tube. You can look in and see the oil seal then.

Did anyone put blue thread locker on the bolt on the bottom of the fork? I believe the manual I saw online called for it.

Back