Another Run at Fork Seals

Hey everyone! It’s been an eternity since I posted on here. Life happens you know.:banghead:

I have read all of the materials referenced in this thread (CAT3’s original write up, Suzuki manual, and this thread) all of which are great sources of information! The first two describe taking the fork down to the point of spring removal, and this one takes it down to simply seal replacement level. I had a few questions on this subject since my fork seals are weeping a little now and I decided to take a swing at this and add stiffer springs in the process.
Questions
A) Does it make any sense to back off your preload adjusters, and damping screws prior to doing any of these procedures? Some of the videos I have watched talk about at least backing off the compression and rebound screws. Count your clicks beforehand of course.
B) Seal Drivers. None of the materials above talk about using a seal driver. So I am working on the assumption that once lubricated properly you can just tap them in using the old seal as a buffer to avoid damage? I love tools as much as the next guy but I don’t think one is necessary for this procedure. Thoughts?
C) I love the simplicity of Charlie’s write up above since it makes the job super quick, especially since your “supposed toâ€￾ do this every other year. But I am still a little uncertain as to how to get the proper oil level (volume) back in the forks with this method. The (Gen 1) manual says both 98mm (3.9inches) and 480ml, both of which I have to assume is going into a pristine, bone dry fork. What does this translate to (assume a small amount of residual oil) in the real world? I think measuring the exact amount with the springs out is the only way to really know. After that you could just use a graduated cylinder and that predetermined volume, and use this method with full confidence of your oil volume on subsequent seal changes?
D) Protecting the seals during re-assembly. I have seen videos of guys using everything from Condoms to Plastic bags over the end of the inner fork tube to avoid damaging the seals during the install. But that is under the assumption that you are installing the inner tube prior to seating the seals, which then goes back to my query about the need for a seal driver.

Ok I am taking the plunge now. I ordered all the parts from Partzilla which in hindsight I likely wouldn't do again due to the 2+ week wait. In the Meantime I built myself a spring compressor, which if it works like I hope I will be just giddy. I bought a piece of 1/2" All thread and some 1" and 3/4" square tubing and a few nuts from the hardware store for ~$20. The Plastic Acorn nuts I had on hand and fit the bottom of the fork leg perfectly. The Angle iron is from an old bed frame. I also made an Oil level syringe out of an old arrow and a 60ml syringe and a rubber stopper. Cost me a $2 for that one. Ordered a set of Racetech 1.1kg front Springs and some 7wt Maxima oil. Wasn't sure I would need, or even use it, but I also ordered a Motion Pro Fork Seal driver just because it looked cool and I can never have too many tools. That one is still in the mail somewhere. Now all I need is time. :laugh:

20150427_114736small.jpg

20150601_172939small.jpg

Thanks 4 info I got bad seal don't even ride on street
I think having front pulled down with tie downs must done it

Something to note. I ordered all my parts online and I realized I had neglected to order new O-rings for the fork caps. But when I started looking online the Hayabusa schematics don't show the o-ring as a separate part number. But the GSXR-1000 Schematic does. I called the local Suzuki shop and his own Microfiche also supports this. The Caps are both different numbers between the two so the O-Ring for the 1000 would likely not be the same either. Anybody actually change this on their Busa's?

After a litany of delays I finally got around to finishing this job today. Although in all honesty I added a few other small projects (Oil change, flush Brake and clutch cylinders, repainted Genmar riser etc.) to the list while I had everything apart. In my last post I mentioned that the 2003 Hayabusa Microfiche does not list a part number for the fork cap O-ring. Luckily if you look at other years (2004 for sure) you can find the right(62278-14100)part number. No Idea why it was excluded on the 03 nor did my Suzuki Dealer.

My fork spring compressor worked absolutely great for this, and made it truly a 1 man job. Just clamped it in my bench vise and was also able to use it for setting the fork oil level later on in the project by just velcroing the fork assembly to it while you fill and set the fluid level. For this I actually used the Level recommended by Racetech, which for me (1.1kg springs) was 110mm v the 98mm from the service manual. I measured right at 465ml of oil per leg using this method. A piece of clear hose clamped to the damper rod allowed me to pump the Cartridge until I was satisfied it was bubble free. The Motion Pro Seal Driver I bought was probably not necessary, but It sure made short work of getting the seals driven to the right depth and nice and square to the bore. And I now have it for the next time.

One other item that I pondered was whether or not to back off the adjusters all the way prior to disassembly. Didn’t find much online so I thought it was worthwhile to record my settings and back them all off completely prior to disassembly. After getting everything all buttoned back up I played around with my Sag a little and am now at 1 ¾ turns out with the new springs, which gives me right at 30mm of Laden SAG. After comparing my original damping settings with several other sources I settled on exactly what I had originally, which was 3 clicks out on Rebound and 4 clicks out on Compression. After I was finished I took a ride around the Island and stopped several times to adjust the Rebound and Compression screws but at the end of the ride I was right back to the settings I started with.

In my search for all the info I could get on this project, I came across a few pretty good articles, the best of which (IMO) is Suspension 101 written by Paul Thede, and Lee Parks. This one has a worksheet included for calculating SAG, which I printed out and used on my workbench to set my Sag. But the overall article is written for the layman and I found it valuable. There was another series of (2) articles I came across where they interviewed Max McAllister which though not as useful was also interesting to me. I have included a few links below.

http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/Suspension101eBook.pdf
https://rideapart.com/articles/suspension-setup-rebound-compression-damping
https://rideapart.com/articles/modified-suspension-qa-traxxion-dynamics

Thanks for the links,etc. guys but I'm gonna pass on doing it myself,have a small local shop owned by Terry Heard(ex AMA pro racer)who's a really good guy with excellent pricing so will probably call him next week(all of the locals also highly recommend him)...since I'm in the fossil age bracket I don't want to get overly frustrated and stroke out here on the garage floor.:D

http://chachachamotorsports.com/about

Last edited:
Hey bigoltool what size fork driver did you order, other tools did you order and what gaskets do I need?

If you zoom in on that pic in my post above you can see the factory Suzuki part Numbers (for my 03; you should double check for your own application!) on the bags. Should be as follows.
  • 51148-40300 - GASKET CYLINDER
  • 51153-02FA0 - SEAL,OIL
  • 51158-14200 - WASHER FORK OIL
  • 51173-02FA0 - SEAL,DUST
  • Fork Seal Driver - Motion Pro (08-0490) 43mm Ringer Fork Seal Driver
  • I also bought, but did not use - Motion Pro 08-0275 Green 43mm Fork Seal Bullet
I made my own Fork Spring Compressor and Oil level tool.

Given I have never pull the forks on my busa, but I think you can get to the clamp bolts without removing the plastics. Just the inner fairings.

Thanks nosbig! Next queation..is there a certain method to make sure the forks seat back in the tree the proper depth? Or is there a stop or something that bottoms out by default?

I would just measure how much fork you have sticking through the top clamp. Not sure about the Busa but on a MX bike there are rings you can count for hight adjustment.

A big thanks to TwobrothersBusa, and the rest of this thread for the information. It was paramount for success. Could not have done it without the experience and knowledge of this forum's members.
Upped to 7wt fork oil and can tell a difference during braking. Took my time and really enjoyed the process. Now I'm off to set the suspension up. This should be interesting. Thanks again guys!

well after much debating, and paying 120 for the stealership to do it once every year and half (gold coating wearing off one tube only and popping seal every year and half, other fork no issues) i decided to try this.. .impact...easy peasy even for an idiot like me lol. i was able to re torque the drain plug no problem but couldn't hold on to the tube hard enough to torque down the top dis assembly with adjustment.

Back