Annual Barber Motorpsports Park in Oct 2010

LA Busa

Top 5 Femme Moto Finisher
Donating Member
Registered
I reserved my Intermediate spot today for the 23rd and 24th of Oct.
*I am also doing a one day'r on Sept 18th.....:beerchug: If anyone wants to join:whistle:

First.... Vman, a member of the .org who passed away (still miss ya Kev.....) once told me "go do a track day, you will learn more in one weekend at the track than you will learn in a life time of riding on the street".... He was right!

This is turning into an regular annual event! October is either feast or famine when it comes to weather in Alabama but the past few years have given us some nice, humidity free track time on at least one of the two October days.

Barber is a purpose built, motorcycle road course and is an AWESOME place to spend a weekend of riding!

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

http://www.barbermotorsports.com/

Be great to see all the 'regulars' and maybe some 'never been to Barber folks' (or even better some first time track riders) as well!
Macon? Warbird? Racer V? Captain? BW (a rematch)? Tim? Docdrop? Jules? Woodrow? Wayneovich (I mis spelled that one).... Jet Li!
I think it'd be cool to fill up the paddock with Busas!

We are trying to get Tufbusa (SteveO) out for this one, he'll have to come a heck of a long way but for those that dont know, he is a track coach for several track day organizations and instructs for a race school so having him there will be.... AWESOME! Our own, personal instructor!

Some basics:
Link no longer works
If you have not ridden with STT, they prefer that you run Novice for at least a day but that's not a requirement. If you have some track experience, you can enter Intermediate or even Advanced.
If you have some track experience but are nervous about going to a new track, we have PLENTY of folks who can show you around the track and get ya going - reserve a spot in 'I'.
If you are a first time track rider, reserve both days in 'N'.

STT will let you 'bump down' but they will not let you 'bump up' so if you join 'I' and are getting 'carpet bombed' they'll let you step to 'N'. If you join 'N' but are bored stiff with parade laps you cant go up to 'I'.

Bike setup is basic, tape it up, unplug the lights and change the antifreeze to water wetter (or similar) and your good. Oh, and get some GOOD / NEW tires!

Full leathers (zip together two piece or one piece), gauntlet gloves and back protector are needed.

If you opt into this, do so early...they sell out FAST, if you wait til August... it'll probably already be full.
* Print the confirmation email they send out and bring it with you to the track.:thumbsup:

Plenty of time to gear up for this one, hope to see lots of .org folks out there!!!:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

If you have any questions shoot me a PM...

Last edited:
Juli and I were talking about this last night, I checked out the website too. Will have to wait and see what funds look like. The track day is cheap, but its the trip and desiel to and from.

Juli and I were talking about this last night, I checked out the website too. Will have to wait and see what funds look like. The track day is cheap, but its the trip and desiel to and from.

Be great to ride with yas out there!

Ok Randyman, I'm in both days!, along with both days in September, and one night in Nashville in August!!!

I hope we can make it, got to get the track bike back together after little misshap this weekend, but if not may try to bring busa. Thanks

Gonna try for this. If nothing else I may try and take you up on the September date.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonna try for this. If nothing else I may try and take you up on the September date.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lets do it!

I am, for largely financial reasons, just gonna take a stab at one day in September.... Get some practice in and keep limber....

Just lemme know if you need any logistical help as we get closer.

I think the final tally, if all goes as planned, will land me at 8 track days for 2010... with my wife's exorbitant tastes, there are little discretionary funds left for me....:whistle:

October. I can't afford to do both.

For someone traveling that far, do October. We have some potentially... stormy weather opportunities between July and September that can damage EZ ups and... just about everything else. By October, its all good...

The best description I've ever seen of how to run Barber from a post on STT's site:
------------------

A quick off the top of my head summary (mid "I" on RC51):
Come on track, don't be an idiot, so you saty above the blend line and if the session is running stay in strip two (there is three bands of pavement) rolling on after checking for traffic and you naturally push out as the race line comes to you in #3 at the curbing. Look up the hill and aim at the tower and pin it. While some let off at the top you really shouldn't need to. By aiming at the tower you should crest the hill at the curbing (further left you go the transistion gets steeper) in #4. You can almost see #5 when you should be setting up and then on the brakes and down 2 gears. There is a few lines through #5 but the common one is to come to the curbing and carry corner speed around then get on the gas (this also carries you through #6) and down the straight. Despite not seeming like it this is one of the faster places on the track. Catch a down shift and late apex 7 which puts you straight through 7a/b cross the curbing in 7a or next to it depending on suspension setup. Drop into 8 and accelerate out, you can pick it up early than you originally think, and drive toward the curb. Catch a shift and drift backright to setup up for the 9/10 chicane. As a new rider you might want to swoop this as two turns, don't. You enter 9 and right at the curb pick it up to go back right for 10 and get on the gas at the curb of 10 and push towards the outside toward that curbing. Catch another shift. Drift right to set up for #11 another blind entry. Catch a downshift and be sure to hit 11 late so you can get into 12 late which drives you up the hill better. As you come out of 12 you will push to the outside of the hill where there is more curbing. As you come down the hill hit the apex in 13 and let you speed push you out to the third strip. Now in 13 you urge will be to push out then dive into 14, don't. Instead drive out earlier and barely angle back in at the end, this sets up a lower angle change into 14a (notice that what I suggest actually is to do a 14 as shown on the track map). Come into 14a late which puts you wide into 15 so you can hit the apex and get better drive onto the front straight. Catch 2 shifts up and then two down into turn #1. After hitting the curbing you can head right to turn two, no need to j-hook it as you cannot carry more into #2 either way. Then in #2 drift slightly out and carry that speed through three eventually rolling on the gas which pushes you to the curb like at the start of this.

Two critical tips:
1) there is run off and the traps will stop you so no need to crash
2) the track is that wide so often if you blow a turn you can just run wide and get back in it (check you don't take someone out on the way back in) never even leaving the pavement. So rather that lock it up and skid off just brake then drastically widen the turn.

Between those two you can avoid most crashes.
----------------
:thumbsup:

Back