American Busa?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Have you all looked at the Motus bikes?
Very interesting. It has a 1650cc V4 engine mounted in the frame like a car (crank aligned front to back rather than side to side). It also has pushrods to activate the valves. Puts out 180 hp and north of 110 lb/ft torque. Bike weighs in at 550 lbs wet. The R version has Brembo brakes, Ohlins, helibars a sargent seat and even the exhaust doesn't need changing. Bike has no ABS, TC, etc!

Problem is it costs $35K! Still, pretty compelling bike and engine. Limited in revs (9k redline?) but loads of power and if they can build these for less than $20K they might be onto something. I wonder if high revs will go the way of the race replicas anyway in favor of mountains of torque.

Still its an interesting direction for the Gen 3 Busa. The VP of Motus describes the bike as a "sport bike for touring". Obviously a Gen 3 Busa would have to have some electronics to meet Euro requirements though.

motus_mst-01_front_side.jpg

There is a dealer here in Nashua, NH.
You can even test ride there also!

The engine is fascinating to me. Uses corvette plug and wires. Hydraulic valves so no adjustments. Bulletproof construction. Engine weighs 140 lbs! Not saying I'm going to buy one but this is the type of bike that cults are built around.

That is dedication!!! Arch I know you mentioned the price, but aren't you guys with full ohlins, brembo setup and tones of their gadgets sitting on about the same amount of cash to get what these guys offer out of the box if you take into account the price of a new busa?

I almost bought one before the bird . Still considering one today , and I love the simplicity of their machine for service / warranty .
What keeps me from spending the 30,000 on a MST is fear of company folding a few years from now like Buel , and having a 30,000 bike with no parts available . I'm just a middle class man with a modest income of 55k avg a year / Blue Collar worker . Knowing I can get parts for the Hayabusa for 20 years plus in the future . That investment is to big for me at my pay scale .

What I have in the Hayabusa

Bird purchase 12,994
Exhaust x 2 different 1,400
set ups ( ti final )

ABM/LSL bar kit 550
Givi V35 bags 550
Racks for bags 500
Russel day long sport seat 478
Wind screens I tried 4 and
went back to stock Fk me lol 300

Sprocket front 19tooth touring 35
Shori LFX 21 big battery 200
Buel pegs 90
Titanium hardware 200
Driving lights L.E.D. 50
Heated grips 85
ECU Flash 65
K/N air filter 50
Emisions block off plates
Custom master cylinder cover from
Stites 100

Misc materials for building / making stuff
for Bird 250

Forgot Mirrors multi sets 400
till I found what worked for me

Radiator guards cox brand 100
Fender extender carbon fiber 60

That is 18,457 Future upgrades AK20's , and rear shock total 2000 approx so 20,500 all in.

Take away 1500 if I didn't spend the extra funds on mirrors , two different exhaust systems , and wind screens

Last edited:
That is dedication!!! Arch I know you mentioned the price, but aren't you guys with full ohlins, brembo setup and tones of their gadgets sitting on about the same amount of cash to get what these guys offer out of the box if you take into account the price of a new busa?

You are so right!

I've been watching them for a few years now. Would love to own one but the price is pretty steep. They seem pretty stable from what I've been able to find. I get the whole "what if they go under like Buell, Victory, Erik Buell Racing, etc" but isn't that kind of a catch 22? If enough people don't buy because they aren't an established, long-term company, then they won't be successful.

If I had the coin I'd buy one set up from the factory ready to tour. But I'd still keep the Busa. While they are both beasts, I feel like the Busa puts more "sport" into sport touring. The Motus looks like a more upright position. Maybe a Kawi Concourse on steroids?

I would also like to note for anyone wondering I met a MST owner in Houston back in May . He loved his MST , and the only thing he wished different was he had purchased the MST R . Like the magazine Motorcyclist said if you call Motus you will most likely get CEO on the line . Its true I called
Friday , and Lee answered .
My wife , and I are riding to Barber vintage fest in October this year on the Suzuki's . Might reach out to see if touring their place is possible .
Would love to test ride one , but I'm sure it would lead to selling everything to buy one :)

I've been watching them for a few years now. Would love to own one but the price is pretty steep. They seem pretty stable from what I've been able to find. I get the whole "what if they go under like Buell, Victory, Erik Buell Racing, etc" but isn't that kind of a catch 22? If enough people don't buy because they aren't an established, long-term company, then they won't be successful.

If I had the coin I'd buy one set up from the factory ready to tour. But I'd still keep the Busa. While they are both beasts, I feel like the Busa puts more "sport" into sport touring. The Motus looks like a more upright position. Maybe a Kawi Concourse on steroids?
Yes my thoughts exactly.

They've been around for a few years. Definitely cool bikes and back then I thought the price was a little steep but when you look @ the price of decked out Harley's, BMW's, and Ducati's your pretty much creeping around the same price range. They give you top of the line components and basically build it the way you want which is cool. If I was the kinda guy who was confident with a wrench I'd consider 1. From what I've read they are pretty stout and well built.

They've been around for a few years. Definitely cool bikes and back then I thought the price was a little steep but when you look @ the price of decked out Harley's, BMW's, and Ducati's your pretty much creeping around the same price range. They give you top of the line components and basically build it the way you want which is cool. If I was the kinda guy who was confident with a wrench I'd consider 1. From what I've read they are pretty stout and well built.

I guess when you look at it like that the price really isn't that far out of line, maybe not out of line at all for what you're getting. Even with the MST R running somewhere around $37K-ish? I've never looked seriously at those high dollar bikes. However, if I did decide to go for a bike with that kind of price tag I think I'd be happier with a Motus than a customized Harley bagger. I've always been drawn to unique/different ideas and products and for now at least a Motus feels more unique than a Harley with some bolt ons. I usually don't fear being an early adopter and really wish I could be with a Motus. I wonder how they'll hold their value? If I can pick up a Motus in a few years for half of MSRP it might be more than I can resist.

I almost bought one before the bird . Still considering one today , and I love the simplicity of their machine for service / warranty .
What keeps me from spending the 30,000 on a MST is fear of company folding a few years from now like Buel , and having a 30,000 bike with no parts available . I'm just a middle class man with a modest income of 55k avg a year / Blue Collar worker . Knowing I can get parts for the Hayabusa for 20 years plus in the future . That investment is to big for me at my pay scale .

What I have in the Hayabusa

Bird purchase 12,994
Exhaust x 2 different 1,400
set ups ( ti final )

ABM/LSL bar kit 550
Givi V35 bags 550
Racks for bags 500
Russel day long sport seat 478
Wind screens I tried 4 and
went back to stock Fk me lol 300

Sprocket front 19tooth touring 35
Shori LFX 21 big battery 200
Buel pegs 90
Titanium hardware 200
Driving lights L.E.D. 50
Heated grips 85
ECU Flash 65
K/N air filter 50
Emisions block off plates
Custom master cylinder cover from
Stites 100

Misc materials for building / making stuff
for Bird 250

Forgot Mirrors multi sets 400
till I found what worked for me

Radiator guards cox brand 100
Fender extender carbon fiber 60

That is 18,457 Future upgrades AK20's , and rear shock total 2000 approx so 20,500 all in.

Take away 1500 if I didn't spend the extra funds on mirrors , two different exhaust systems , and wind screens

Mabupa hit on it too C10. I do have about $19,800 in my 2009 Busa now and I'm debating another $5K with wheels and Bazzaz TC. And the result is a bike that has most of the advantages of the Motus with a better motor (same HP, close on torque, and 11K redline). Only real difference is the riding position and a less "classic" appearance. But the Motus is still attractive in the statement it makes both about American steel and how quality with simplicity can produce a great product. Really cool to think about going to the factory and picking up the bike and meeting and talking to the guy who built it.

I have been looking at another bike (Busa is with me forever) and the Goldwings and BMW 1600 are about $30K + too. But they don't have the charm the Motus has, or the sporting character. On the other hand the Kawasaki Concourse 14 offers the long range road ability and comfort at half the price. But this bike's competition is the Ducati multistrada, BMW 1200 adventures, KTM's and it stacks up against them very well - even at a $6-$10K Premium IMHO.

If I wasn't paying for my other toy ('13 mustang GT), I would probably consider this bike for all the high end goodies and the fact that these guys put some serious work to build a true American motorcycle. This would be a nice tourer and I could keep the busa with the gsxr tail I currently have on it for shorter rides. Like most people here, I have several thousands wrapped in aftermarket parts on the busa. I stopped adding up when I hit the 7k dollar mark. Lol! I've been looking hard at the concours too and some great used examples pop up locally on a regular basis, but I have never been on one and the weight concerns me. I keep saying I'll stop by one of these days and test ride one, but I'm too afraid I'll end up walking out of the dealer with one if I go.

That is dedication ! ! !

Arch I know you mentioned the price,
but aren't you guys with full Ohlins,
Brembo setup and tones of their gadgets
sitting on about the same amount of cash
to get what these guys offer out of the box
if you take into account the price of a new Hayabusa ?

On top of trying to compete with " China's Robot Workforce " ~ can't be easy to build an all new motorcycle without robots . . .

Back