Aftermarket Lighting and Signals etc.

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
Just a thought, a lot of the undertails and fender eliminators come with Turn signals but these can sometimes be really pathetically week.  VABusa mentioned using handsignals which is a fine Idea, but what if you just Put some serious brightness on the Booty of your bike...  I agree the OEM lights kinda suck... just ugly you know...  But make certain what you get is bright enough, Blind the bastards if thats what it takes.

Also I have seen some remarkably useless placement of LEDS on the rear of some bikes out in the world. Mostly for turn signals...  LEDs Aimed at the ground or about useless accept for decoration. It is important to know that them little LEDS are highly directional.  I mean 30 degrees off angle and they can become just about useless.  However, the flip side is they can last just about forever and if properly aimed can produce more light, quicker than incandescent bulbs.  Thats right, LEDS go from off to on faster than a regular bulb...seriously.  Maybe only 2/10ths but that can make a difference at 80mph.  

Anyhoo, just make certain that whatever LED source you get is large enough and bright enough to actually be seen.  Icemann's lights are a good example of how to do it right, Big and Bright...

Anyhoo, here's some links to good lighting sources.

<span style='color:blue'>Web Bike World Lights</span>

<span style='color:royalblue'>Custom Dynamics</span>  Sort of a harley looking site BUT a WHOLE LOT of good stuff...

Class Dismissed.  
umnik.gif

I resemble that remarks.
firedevil.gif

Good stuff... I agree, we all need BRIGHT lights. (Brake, Turn, Marker, Head, Tail...)

I saw a Hardley Rider without anything but a small tail light using hand signals at night dressed all in black, including black gloves. Just about ran him over in my cage.

What HID kit did you got with GnT? what was the cost?
I am doing that later this year.
Thanks,
Bill

They're Hella 7500k HIDS. Very simalar to OEM replacements for BMW. Iceman's are slightly different and are also very good in quality, although appear to be a bright white color as opposed to a blueish/purple. It's important to purchase a unit that has a built-in igniter and has a sealed ballast suitable for a high vibration/heat conditions.

I added another pic. Sorry for reposting this picture, I have posted it a few times in the past. Just a good idea of what the light looks like.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: "to add 'nother pic and correct sh*tty spelling."|1080698080 -->

Yep he's right. Built in igniter which makes the unit a two piece (ballast and socket, not ballast to igniter to socket). Pure digital units are even better but can be very costly.

THe bulbs I offer are 4300K. I get the P38 base 35 watts 4300K osram bulbs for $85 each. So thats very good. (search the net)

I dont offer 7000 series colored bulbs for the sole reason that they filter out the usuable portion of the light needed most on a motorcycle. TO BE ABLE TO see shadows and sihouettes of rodents from the side in your perifial? view. With 4300K white w/hint of blue you actually have time to dodge incoming bugs. It enhances reflectors as well. Either way HID is the way to go.

PS, I have ONE unit left if anyone wants it. Pure digital.

JD

Yep he's right.  Built in igniter which makes the unit a two piece (ballast and socket, not ballast to igniter to socket).  Pure digital units are even better but can be very costly.

THe bulbs I offer are 4300K.  I get the P38 base 35 watts 4300K osram bulbs for $85 each.  So thats very good.  (search the net)

I dont offer 7000 series colored bulbs for the sole reason that they filter out the usuable portion of the light needed most on a motorcycle.  TO BE ABLE TO see shadows and sihouettes of rodents from the side in your perifial? view.   With 4300K white w/hint of blue you actually have time to dodge incoming bugs.  It enhances reflectors as well.  Either way HID is the way to go.

PS, I have ONE unit left if anyone wants it.  Pure digital.

JD
Ice, is your whole kit $85 bucks? If so, you've got the best deal goin'! My friend and I paid around $600 for a dual kit and spilt the price to $300. Anyway do you have a kit for a 03' Gixxer 1K? I'm not sure what type of bulb is used, but I could find out.

NAw brah I wish. My units are $250 to your door in the USA. The bulb is $85 alone. A BMW employee can get the same bulb at his discount price for about $279.00 A jap version of the bulb (cheaper bulb) runs usally about $179 or so per bulb.

Your 1k has an H4 bulb. My unit will work fine. There is a slight mod needed which will cause you to sacrafice a stock bulb for the metal ring. SEE PIC. the ring fits onto my bulb and it fits into place. Easier on 1k than busa. Busa is very easy. Pure digtal ballast. Your tuffest thing on the 1k is finding a completely concealed hiding spot for the ballast due to the very small front nose piece. Most just mount it beneath the headlight entrance (rubbercap area) flat on the bottom of the headlight assembly.

With an H4 you will lose the hi beam/lo beam function on that particular bulb. You have the over/under lights so the other will work fine as is. If the headlights are H4's side by side and you put ONE hid in then the other H4 would function fine.

Hope it helps.

JD

Back