About the suspension settings...

hydrabusa

Donating Member
Registered
hello guys...
Before the season begins, I try to learn some about the suspension settings.
well, I read some of the suspension settings from the manual CD...has 3 settings(soft, standard, and stiff...) there and my question is? how do they know what kind weighs end user have? to give those settings?
And I heard, when you go to trackday and theres a guy who does adjusting the suspension and it comes out like a nite and day difference? is it true?
rock.gif
argue.gif

(hydrabusa @ Apr. 11 2007,15:24) hello guys...
Before the season begins, I try to learn some about the suspension settings.
well, I read some of the suspension settings from the manual CD...has 3 settings(soft, standard, and stiff...) there and my question is? how do they know what kind weighs end user have? to give those settings?
And I heard, when you go to trackday and theres a guy who does adjusting the suspension and it comes out like a nite and day difference? is it true?
rock.gif
argue.gif
Search "Jinkster's suspension"- he wrote a book about it not long ago about setting it for your weight, start to finish. Surprised you haven't seen it before!

I just adjusted mine the other day. I have not had a chance to ride it yet.

I went 2 revolutions harder on the Preload(did not pay attention the the lines) If revolutions are a line then I would be at the 3rd line......2 clicks out on the Rebound....and 7 clicks out on the Compression. I have done nothing to the rear.

I am 240lbs. Do not know much at all about the effects of what I did. Should get a chance to ride either Friday or Sunday.

If anyone sees this and thinks I fugged up....please let me know.
bowdown.gif

(BlueHaya @ Apr. 11 2007,17:10) I just adjusted mine the other day.  I have not had a chance to ride it yet.

I went 2 revolutions harder on the Preload(did not pay attention the the lines) If revolutions are a line then I would be at the 3rd line......2 clicks out on the Rebound....and 7 clicks out on the Compression.  I have done nothing to the rear.

I am 240lbs.  Do not know much at all about the effects of what I did.  Should get a chance to ride either Friday or Sunday.

If anyone sees this and thinks I fugged up....please let me know.
bowdown.gif
Revolutions do not = lines. I think you are being a bit conservative. At 250 lbs, I added 5 rounds of preload up front. Out back, I added 2 rounds of preload. I don't remember the compression/rebound changes.

I weigh 210.  

Front:
The front preload is cranked all the way down to flush!  And.. like Jinkster's thread shows, it still isn't enough!
Compression (Bottom of fork) Out 1/2 turn
Dampening (Top) Out 3 clicks

Rear: Two turns tighter on preload
Compression: Out 3 clicks
Dampening: Out 4 clicks

*** When I say Out x clicks... it is from ALL the way in. Out x clicks from totally in.***

Initially you can get the suspension dialed in better by going through a general setup (like Jinkster wrote up).  To get the MOSt out of your suspension will require some money, professional setup, and parts (ESPECIALLY front springs!)

p.s. here's what jinks gave me when i asked for just the clicks as per what he did [240lbs rider]:

Rear Shock:

Top Screw (Compression Damping) 7 Clicks Out

Bottom Screw (Rebound Damping) 10 Clicks Out

Front Forks:

Top Screw (Rebound) 3 Clicks Out

Bottom Screw (Compression) 4 Clicks Out

i did this set up and i can now "feel" the road instead of riding on a cloud.

(SpeedGeek @ Apr. 11 2007,19:15) I weigh 210.  

Front:
The front preload is cranked all the way down to flush!  And.. like Jinkster's thread shows, it still isn't enough!
Compression (Bottom of fork) Out 1/2 turn
Dampening (Top) Out 3 clicks

Rear: Two turns tighter on preload
Compression: Out 3 clicks
Dampening: Out 4 clicks

*** When I say Out x clicks... it is from ALL the way in.  Out x clicks from totally in.***

Initially you can get the suspension dialed in better by going through a general setup (like Jinkster wrote up).  To get the MOSt out of your suspension will require some money, professional setup, and parts (ESPECIALLY front springs!)
I originally went all the way down with the pre-load on the front, but found it made the ride too harsh and backed off a bit. The handling is better backed off a little even though it is too soft.

(BusaWhipped @ Apr. 11 2007,19:18)
(Revolution @ Apr. 11 2007,19:16) now, when we say added "2 rounds" is that from "0"?
When I say "5 rounds", that is from the factory setting.
Mine is from factory setting of "5th Line" I went in the H (Harder) direction two (2) full revolutions of my 17mm socket.

I may crank it down a little more based on what you say Dennis. I just did want to go too hard and ride on a rock.
beerchug.gif

Jink's post if you have time and sportrider.com if you're lazy.

I paid $40 to a pro at the track and tweaked it nicely.... for the track. None too forgiving for the streets. I carry around a sheet of paper with my favorite settings: soft - factory - sportrider - track

Back