A Word to the wise.

Kerberos

Registered
The first busa I bought was a used (640 mi) silver/grey 2002. Second day I had her the starter ground down to powder and cracked the case. I got lucky and the owner gave a a brand new 2002 black/blue off the showroom floor for 200 dollars more. Now I work for Tucson Motorsports and I get the inside poop. There is a recall for the starter clutch in the 2002 busa. If any of you have noticed a significant "clunk" when trying to start your 2002 busa. Be very careful. What is happening is the compression being so high, the starter is being turned backwards when you are trying to turn it forwards. I have all the parts ordered on a repair order free of charge from suzuki. You can do the same. Go to your dealer and tell them that sometimes when you start her that you hear and feel a big "clunk" like the starter is being thrown backwards and that you have heard there is a recall on the starter clutch of the 2002 busa. They will order all new parts including the starter to fix this problem. The 2003 has a starter gear 3 times as massive and incorporates a torque limiter so if the engine tries to shoot backwards the starter clutch wil slip instead of cracking the casing. I think captain should pin this to the top for a time so it does not get buried in the threads.

Thanks

I can post the exact numbers of the recall and every part needed to be replaced if anyone has some problem with their dealer.

k

Kerb, I can move this thread to "Common Problems" forum and pin it there if ya like.

I am the Warranty Administrator(among other things) at an auto dealership. Recalls like that are only accepted as long as the Authorized Dealer does the recall. Are you saying that your dealership is ordering them for the customers and giving the starter to them? Or are you saying if you hear that noise, get the recall done NOW, before anything breaks??

What happened to the earlier thread on this subject?
rock.gif

Thanks for the heads up. I have 5000 miles on my 02 , and have had no starter problems. Should I have the starter replaced , before warranty expires ?

I just started the busa, and again "clunk" , back pressure. Now I have a noise inside like that sound of a loos chain. Hope my parts arrive soon. Dont think she couls take too much more kickbacks.

My dealership is NOT sending to the customers. They are however sending notices and giving the customer the option.

I recommend that even if you do not hear the noise, have your vin checked at your local dealership to see if you have the K2 starter and statrer clutch.

I would recommend saying that you heard it on the board here and you should say:

"come to think of it, mine has done that once or twice and never gave it much thought. But if it does go out it could ruin the case and other parts not to mention being stranded somewhere>" Demand that yours be replaced.

I will scan the recall notice tomorrow and post it here so you can see the parts list and see the difference between the old and new..

K.

KERB (or anyone else), does this affect any other years? In other words, was the starter different in '02 then in previous years???

PLEASE TELL US!

Is the 2k1 Busa the only one that has not had a recall?
rock.gif
If so maybe we should call it the "BULLETPROOF BUSA"

Here's what I found about this:

Suzuki service Bulletin GSXR NO 126 Dated 12/10/2002. This is for the Hayabusa.
SUBJECT: STARTER SYSTEM PARTS INTERCHANGE INFORMATION.
MODEL: GSX1300R HAYABUSA 1999 through 2002.
THE INTERCHANGE PARTS COME IN THE 2003.

Starter idler gear No. 1 is changed to a starter Limiter idler gear. This is like the setup on the DR-Z400E [Big bore dirt bike] No longer needed are the stock washers, bearing, and pin for the idler gear.[new # for the pin]

The starter motor is changed, looks like the shaft is longer.

Both of the starter covers are changed, for more room.

The Bulliten also says, DO NOT INSTALL THE K-3 [2003] STYLE STARTER CLUTCH IN AN EARLIER MODEL GSX1300R.
----------------------------------------------------------------
So it looks like the starter clutch has been changed for 2003, but NOT INTERCHANGABLE WITH THE 99-02.
---------------------------------------
So are you saying there is a recall on the 02 only not this service bulletin concerning 99-02 years
rock.gif
Our understanding was that it is a customer pays unless it fragged under warranty? Am I wrong on this?

Kerbie:

My dealer says this is NOT a recall, but just a service bulletin. What's up? How can I prove to them that it is a recall? Thanks dude!
rock.gif

The starter problem is not a (recall) and does not affect all Busas.  I think there's a service bulletin for this problem, but Suzuki is not providing any information on the starter issue.

I had the same problem with my starter, but it was repaired under warranty.  I showed the dealer what I read from another forum:  
Suzuki service Bulletin GSXR NO 126 Dated 12/10/2002. This is for the Hayabusa.
SUBJECT: STARTER SYSTEM PARTS INTERCHANGE INFORMATION.
MODEL: GSX1300R HAYABUSA 1999 through 2002.
THE INTERCHANGE PARTS COME IN THE 2003.

When I showed this information to the service department manager, he gave me a look like I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet and told be that he was not aware of any service bulletins for this problem.

I did not have to fight them over the starter problem since the bike was still under warranty.  If my warranty had expired I think there would have been a battle to repair the starter.

I have gone to a dealer near me and they acknowledge the bulletin is a real deal. If your bike is out of warranty however and it frags you may have a fight on your hands to get it fixed without paying.

idea.gif

I have a 02' and have not had starter problems so far, but I know the reports of starter failure are REAL, and the exspensive issue is that if the starter does come apart, there's a high chance that it will damage(crack) the engine case!!! Schnitz Racing sells a "CASE PROTECTOR" for only $29.95, it's like a cylindrical ring that can be installed By removing the starter unit and will prevent case failure in the event the starter would come apart. I know there are other mods for this issue such as the update parts and installation of a aftermarket heavy duty starter gear, But this is a cheap insurance policy for those of you who have not had the "Starter Problem" But are concerned about case damage if it does fail in the future. Part #FC1001.
Just a thought Guys.

Went to my dealer today, told him that I heard a clunk in my starter.  He told me to bring it in, they would check it out. If anything was wrong, they would fix it under warranty. If they can't find problem, I would be billed for shop time.  Sounds to me that their not admitting anything till your bikes tore up.

Back