A Rash Of S**t

HoboJoe

Registered
busa fairing.JPG
New to the group here. Greetings to all. Have learned a boatload just from peeking in the last few weeks. Hoping you more experienced Cowboys can give me some insight as to how to proceed. Looking at my first Busa and it appears I have but one problem with it. A bit of rash and some scrapes and a small ding that I can't allow myself to overlook since the bike is so clean and I'm such a Titty Baby about such things. My question to you, is there any viable way to sufficiently hide or disguise something like this or should I just go ahead and have the panel painted once I get the bike. Additionally what do you think it might cost to get that done professionally. Can't bring myself to pay a Robber Baron what he's asking for a OEM part. I'd rather pay a working Man to do the work. Many Thanks....via con Dios

Back out the picture, but it looks to me like an 07 Candy Red Pearl. That is 3 stage paint. I have successfully repaired scratches like that myself. You can get the paint from Colorite, and if you have the tools fix it. My recommendation would be to paint the entire panel, 3 stage paint is a booger to blend, but it can be done. Maybe repaint the damage area and include the ding, then shoot the entire panel with clear coat. Easy fix if you can paint yourself or dont mind paying the working man to paint if for you, Welcome to the oRg!

Those little scratches wouldnt stop me. Easy fix and if the rest of the machine is mint...very nice find.

$750.00 for the panel on my go to parts site. YIKES! I'd give a shot at painting what you've got too. I have an 08 with pearl orange and had zero luck with touch up, but I was using the 2 part Suzuki touch up pens (a huge and total waste of $).
Good luck and keep us posted.

Hey Gents. Thanks for the timely replies. Regarding Twotone's comment, I'm afraid painting it myself is out of the question. A man's got to know his limitations... I know mine. I envy one's ability at this type of thing but "It ain't Me". Don't think the scratches will stop me either. Overall the Bike is very clean. Everything in this Life is a compromise. And while it is true that you get what you pay for I simply couldn't ride with it like this since what few Brain Cells I have left would always be leaning low and to the right saying to themselves...."If only I didn't have that Blemish down there". Told you I was a Titty Baby for stuff like that. One final ?. That $750.00 figure mentioned, I take it that would be "Unpainted"? That's what galls me. If I could get it taken care of completely for that much, I would consider it a Win. Thanks again

Hey Gents. Thanks for the timely replies. Regarding Twotone's comment, I'm afraid painting it myself is out of the question. A man's got to know his limitations... I know mine. I envy one's ability at this type of thing but "It ain't Me". Don't think the scratches will stop me either. Overall the Bike is very clean. Everything in this Life is a compromise. And while it is true that you get what you pay for I simply couldn't ride with it like this since what few Brain Cells I have left would always be leaning low and to the right saying to themselves...."If only I didn't have that Blemish down there". Told you I was a Titty Baby for stuff like that. One final ?. That $750.00 figure mentioned, I take it that would be "Unpainted"? That's what galls me. If I could get it taken care of completely for that much, I would consider it a Win. Thanks again

You should be to buy a complete and painted, bolt it on and ride, oem panel from the stealership for way under $750!

As per Sixpacks suggestion, dealer wants $529 with a bit of a play, and $650/$700 installed. That's with new cushions. About what I expected. Not great but not terrible. As an aside, any ideas where I might be able to do better? Thanks as always.

Just for the record, Babbit wanted about the same. $579. They didn't offer me a play however. And couldn't tell me how long it would take to get. Checked for those videos and me thinks I'm to lazy but I get your point. Aside from that, any opinions on this ride? An 07' with 33K on the clock. Guys asking $6500. Get the impression he's willing to deal some. Looks to be really clean. Stock as well. Which is what I'm looking for. Yet to get a final, out the door price from him but I'll do it if I can get it to work within my parameter's. The color alone makes me weak in the knees. Thanks

Sorry I missed Twotone's Decal idea previously. What precisely would you suggest Mr.Tone. Perhaps a big ol' Smiley Face or one of those oversized Band-Aids we used to see on banged up cars back in the day? Come to think of it, why hasn't some enterprising American come out with color coordinated vinyl's or stick em's for situations like this? Hmmm, I sense a niche to be filled. Always did want to be wealthy!

Sorry I missed Twotone's Decal idea previously. What precisely would you suggest Mr.Tone. Perhaps a big ol' Smiley Face or one of those oversized Band-Aids we used to see on banged up cars back in the day? Come to think of it, why hasn't some enterprising American come out with color coordinated vinyl's or stick em's for situations like this? Hmmm, I sense a niche to be filled. Always did want to be wealthy!

You Can go to a good vinyl/wrap shop.
They can color match and order the vinyl to the paint.
Buy their minimum amount, cut, heat, squeegee, done.
It's a very good idea. Depending on where you make the edges, it can be hard to tell it's even been done.
Will save alot of money.

Just for the record, Babbit wanted about the same. $579. They didn't offer me a play however. And couldn't tell me how long it would take to get. Checked for those videos and me thinks I'm to lazy but I get your point. Aside from that, any opinions on this ride? An 07' with 33K on the clock. Guys asking $6500. Get the impression he's willing to deal some. Looks to be really clean. Stock as well. Which is what I'm looking for. Yet to get a final, out the door price from him but I'll do it if I can get it to work within my parameter's. The color alone makes me weak in the knees. Thanks

That price is high.
If you look around, you can buy a gen2 for that.
Unless you just have to have that one, I'de keep looking.

This is why I'm enjoying the Hell outta this board already. Some great information, a diversity of ideas and opinion and a few good laughs thrown in for good measure. Really appreciate the timely responses as I'm Hot to Trot on this one. The wrap idea had not even crossed my mind, which is probably why I drive truck for a living and had not become an Astrophysicist. Oh Well. You can be sure I'll be on that one first thing in the AM. As for the pricing, it seems to be right in between the retail and the private. Also, the 33K is actually quite a bit below the average. Have been on this quest for about a month now and have had my fill of the CL crowd and even the sellers on National sites that don't even respond to your contacting them. I'm to "Old School" I guess. As for the Gen1 v Gen2 thing,, the 1 just strikes me as a nicer looking ride. Just my .02 of course as this is still, thank "The Lord", America. Honestly, I have seen so many Bikes that are being offered by people that have abused the spit outta them or seemingly not maintained them properly that I cant tell you and they are either asking outrageous prices or they are so rough looking that I would be doing nothing but opening a family size can of worms. So as I do with my Truck, the right stuff, high quality stuff, pay a little more, but get it done and down the road I go. Saves my a lot of headaches down the line. Thanks again

If that is the bike you want, then that's the bike to get. $6500 is on the high side, but not outrageous...especially when it's the one.
As you said, 33k is not alot either.
Mileage is nothing on these engines.
Just make sure 2nd gear doesn't slip and you're good.
Lots of good folks here, and some old school hooligans, even a few of us truckers.
I drove a few years myself.
Welcome to the best bike forum there is.

Back