A Public Service Announcement Regarding Suspension

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Okay folks...I don't mean to come off sounding like mother hen here but I just decided to approach an issue that's been bugging me ever since I arrived home from the last Busa Bash and just wasn't certain if I should share my thoughts on this publically here and I'm NOT meaning to beat this suspension issue to death but...here goes...

We had a rider go down on one of the most notorious sections of the dragons tail known as "Gravity Cavity"...it was his first time on the dragon but he isn't a newbie rider...in fact he is a very seasoned and typically conservative rider (that's another part that bugged me out) as Gravity Cavity is a series of about 1/2 dozen linked esses where one sharply banked turn leads INTO another one after the other with a pucker factor of a solid 10 as...you repeatedly go from near fully compressed suspension to weightlessness as you repeatedly toss your bike through the tight, abbreviated, heavily banked curves and...

When I arrived home and addressed my busa's stock suspension settings (which btw almost felt goldwing'ish to me up there in the tight technicals) I couldn't help but shake my head serveral times as I reflected back to our riders go down in gravity cavity...thinking...damn...if only his suspension had been set-up properly maybe he could've pulled through and saved it and...himself. As he sustained some very seriouse injuries in the crash...broken ribs, crushed spleen, bleeding pancreous...as I measure out the stock static/sag suspension settings that are far more befitting of a cruiser than a sportbike...again repeatedly shaking my head as I thought how it must of felt to run out of suspension in gravity cavity..and got this sick feeling inside.

I write this to try and convey a sense of urgency and IMPORTANCE in my fellow bretheren here to address your own suspension settings and to adjust your settings for proper suspension..especiaslly those of you who engage in spirited level riding.

Here's a link to my "How To" thread located in the technical/modifications forum...

and please...to prevent any further un-necessary instances PLEASE take the time and effort to properly adjust your suspension..it's not very difficult and should only take an hour or two and as the old saying goes...

"The @$$ You Save May Be Your Own"

There...I said it...and I feel better now...

I apologize for harping on this and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115788228 -->

Thanks, Bill!  
bowdown.gif
 Don't feel like mother hen, just mother jinks
laugh.gif
 I now have something new planned for my busa this weekend!

<!--EDIT|#cruncherbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115790015 -->

Thanks Jink, and I agree. When I do my 600 mile service (which is any day now), I'm going to do my suspension settings as well. They were good for getting used to the bike, but now they're just spongy.

This little wakeup call just reminds me to do it post-haste.

I always appreciate it when others have my best interests in mind. I'm old/wise enough to listen to good advice.

For items like this, you can "harp" all you want to Bill.
cool.gif

It's always good to have the people that are knowledgeable share with the rest of us that might need it. I did adjust my suspension as we discussed, but haven't had a chance to "really" try it out yet. It does feel better than before, and that's only on the commute to work.

All I can say is <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Thank You !</span></span>
biggrin.gif

Thank you jinkster...
bowdown.gif

...just a small question. I'm 300 pounds, do you think id have to change my springs to accomadate my weight and set up the bike as per your instructions
rock.gif

Thanks for looking out for us Bro
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|busahaya
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115797462 -->

Mother hen or not... thanks for the heads up. I have around 6000 miles on My Baby and was thinking the other day that she is a little spongy in the turns.... I was wondering if an adjustment was necessary. Thanks for the wake up call and if you think you are being a mother hen.... please keep it up. thank you.
biggrin.gif

Bill, after seeing the accident I was certainly more careful despite what my pictures might have showed
smile.gif
One of my main questions on any of the sportbikes was how to set up my suspension and more specifically, why should I make changes. Your HOWTO significantly addressed those questions and I'll be changing my own setup sometime in the next week.

Thanks for the particularly helpful and clear instructions. Especially the tips on how to get the info when you don't have help (like the cable tie and black tape).

Carl

OK, I,m a lurker! Have been riding a Busa since '00. This topic hit home. The bike is not setup from the factory to ride aggresiveley in the twisties. I'm not going to suggest what you're settings should be, based on riding styles, experience and pilot weight, but the bike has got a fully tuneable suspension. Find out what works best for you. I'm sorry to hear about the fallen commrade. Alright, I'm one of the 'Old Farts. I'll post some of the pic's tomorrow. I took her off rode myself one time, just messed her plastic dress. 30,000k. She still run's great. I'm glad you brought this up.
SRJBUSA

Wow jink, your the man. Made the adjustments this morning for my big ass, now I have another new K5!!

very cool Jinkster...

and for the slightly PC challenged, I just highlighted all of Jinksters text,saved it as a note pad file,then hit print...

came out as 2 and a half pages of neatly typed text.

Now you can hit the shop with info in hand.

You could also right clic his great photo's and print them too if need be...

hav a good 1... thx Jinkster. RSD.

Back